• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Possible Game Changer for lighting our trucks $211

• Owner

LEDs have that issue even the ones in my 1996 dodge do this as well with icing over. Sad to say even my $350 PIAA LED driving lights ice over as well. Now my Morimoto D2S can ice over to only in really bad storms. Typically it can hold a small hole to shine through. The only thing that holds up good in subzero is halogen I';m sorry to say.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:55 PM, LorenS said:

I don't look to government for my morals, even something like headlights.

My Adrenaline is not EPA/CARB approved, either. Nor is putting bigger injectors, a different turbo, and maybe even the lift pump.

Correct, but these mods don't blind oncoming traffic. As I said, just sharing information, and as bright as some of these headlights are getting there may be some push back coming.

Mark

Back in the 70's part of the safety inspection was leveling the lights. They had attachments that went on the sealed beam lenses and they leveled them.  Pretty simple back then with just a couple headlight choices. I dont mind any headlights as long as they are putting the light on the highway and not in my cab.

49 minutes ago, LorenS said:

Our D2S headlights are NOT legal for driving lights in the USA. Scroll way down, near bottom.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bixenon-morimoto-mini-d2s-stage-3-CRK-D2S?quantity=1

I have seen that disclaimer on many of the sites offering aftermarket headlights. That is one of the reasons I went cheap. That an the fact I had no ideas how what I chose was going to work.

• Owner

The site that produces mine are sold as street legal. The site I bought mine from are going through web redesign. As for mine are fully assembled and tested before shipping. Now the kits where you buy the projector and take apart the housing install and all that has been done for me. A matter of fact the headlight already came pre-aimed and very close to proper aim.

https://retroshop.us/collections/2nd-gen-ram/products/2g-ram-hid-projector-retrofitted-headlights

So far 5 years old never been bother by enforcement. Very rare does any one flash high beam unless my hi beam are on too.

If were gonna slip on moral pants here, it should go both ways.   What is wrong with the coatings that the NHTSA is forcing the OEM to apply to the headlight lenses that they (headlight covers) yellow out so quickly?   It has to be a stupid regulation.  Do your tail lights yellow that quickly?  Do any of your other clear plastic covers yellow that quickly?  No they don't.  SO somewhere along the way, there is a regulation that these headlight covers get this crazy chemical applied to them.  (I am betting it has to do with not making sharp shards, so that a pedestrian is not injured or something like that.)   just make my headlight covers out of the same material my reverse lights are made of, and I won't need to add more and more energy to the lighting to see through the fog of the plastic.....

Just like the stupid fuel cans....  someone saw a way to prevent as much fuel from evaporating from a can.  BUT I now spill more fuel trying to use them.....  for me, the greenies lost.  I spill significantly more fuel than I ever let evaporate from a fuel can. 

GL

Hag

• Like 4

• Owner
7 hours ago, Haggar said:

If were gonna slip on moral pants here, it should go both ways.   What is wrong with the coatings that the NHTSA is forcing the OEM to apply to the headlight lenses that they (headlight covers) yellow out so quickly?   It has to be a stupid regulation.  Do your tail lights yellow that quickly?  Do any of your other clear plastic covers yellow that quickly?  No they don't.  SO somewhere along the way, there is a regulation that these headlight covers get this crazy chemical applied to them.  (I am betting it has to do with not making sharp shards, so that a pedestrian is not injured or something like that.)   just make my headlight covers out of the same material my reverse lights are made of, and I won't need to add more and more energy to the lighting to see through the fog of the plastic.....

Just like the stupid fuel cans....  someone saw a way to prevent as much fuel from evaporating from a can.  BUT I now spill more fuel trying to use them.....  for me, the greenies lost.  I spill significantly more fuel than I ever let evaporate from a fuel can. 

GL

Hag

:iagree:So very true! :iagree:

• Owner
On 2/14/2021 at 10:18 AM, dripley said:

I dont mind any headlights as long as they are putting the light on the highway and not in my cab.

As long as I remember to drop my hi beam that would be the only way I could put light in your cab. On low beams there is no possible way to put any light in your cab or eyes. Even my PIAA 530 LED driving light have a good cutoff line too. Just not possible to blind anyone. 

Now with the 1996 Dodge with LEDs bulbs and the clear lens headlights those scatter so bad its possible to catch you in the cab slightly. Again the quality for the 1996 is because of the crude optical and reflector. Hence the scatter.

Now Morimoto HIDs are based on the lens and optics are top notch. Now when the lo beam shutter rises from the bottom the cutoff line is made and the pattern is flipped in the lens so the top side is shadow masked. The cutoff line is is also stepped. The step in the cutoff land right on the center line of the highway for me both beam layout perfect on the highway and the patterns layout perfect not out of place left to right. Now the pattern in front of me is slightly enhanced placing more light on my lane. Then the on coming lane is stepped a bit higher so the cutoff is shorter not to blind on coming traffic. Now the cutoff is very visible and the only adjustment I got is vertically, no horizontal. 

Never had any law enforcement say anything about my Morimoto's yet. Even when I was pulled over for not having my headlight on in Nevada (headlight safety area). He even check my lights make sure they lit up and not said anything. This was during my trip to Arizona hauling the RV back in June IIRC. No ticket given just reminder and he left... After the next vehicle without headlights on.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As long as I remember to drop my hi beam that would be the only way I could put light in your cab. On low beams there is no possible way to put any light in your cab or eyes. Even my PIAA 530 LED driving light have a good cutoff line too. Just not possible to blind anyone. 

Now with the 1996 Dodge with LEDs bulbs and the clear lens headlights those scatter so bad its possible to catch you in the cab slightly. Again the quality for the 1996 is because of the crude optical and reflector. Hence the scatter.

Now Morimoto HIDs are based on the lens and optics are top notch. Now when the lo beam shutter rises from the bottom the cutoff line is made and the pattern is flipped in the lens so the top side is shadow masked. The cutoff line is is also stepped. The step in the cutoff land right on the center line of the highway for me both beam layout perfect on the highway and the patterns layout perfect not out of place left to right. Now the pattern in front of me is slightly enhanced placing more light on my lane. Then the on coming lane is stepped a bit higher so the cutoff is shorter not to blind on coming traffic. Now the cutoff is very visible and the only adjustment I got is vertically, no horizontal. 

Never had any law enforcement say anything about my Morimoto's yet. Even when I was pulled over for not having my headlight on in Nevada (headlight safety area). He even check my lights make sure they lit up and not said anything. This was during my trip to Arizona hauling the RV back in June IIRC. No ticket given just reminder and he left... After the next vehicle without headlights on.

Bright lights in the cab is understandable;. I get caught doing that every once in a while. If they are dong there job they should get in the cab. Driver controlled on that one. 

I looked on the link for your head lights but did not see where they said they are street legal in the US.  Am I just missing it?

51 minutes ago, Evan said:

Morimoto is becoming helpful.  9007 2stroke might not be the correct bulb

Be interested in hearing the outcome of this.

• Owner

Depends how people want to judge the laws. Some say its illegal to replace any filament style headlight with a LED bulb or HID bulb. Some say its how bright the light is compared to stock halogen (~860 lumens). Most lighting is brighter like my HID's are 4,000 lumens. Like another said its the lens style the D2S is illegal. I was told my white marker lights (switch back bulbs are illegal).

Modern vehicles are coming out with LED headlights like Ford did. Then other luxury cars are using HID lighting too. Then the daytime driving light are typically rings around the head lights that switch to amber when turn signal used. At this point I've done nothing that is not already in use by another brand vehicle. Including my illegal tinted windows (35% opacity) which I've never been busted for either. 

Hey lets throw in the missing license plate lights which have been gone over 10 years. I've never fixed them. 

I've not had a ticket in over 25 years... Yup! Still counting...

Just so you know 9007 bulbs are only used in the sport headlights. You should be using 9004 style bulbs. 

Ive never had any headlight halogen or otherwise melt snow and ice. Used to have a cherokee with composite (bulb style) and sealed beam headlights and every winter had at some point snow packed in there or ice on them, never melted off.. 

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Depends how people want to judge the laws. Some say its illegal to replace any filament style headlight with a LED bulb or HID bulb. Some say its how bright the light is compared to stock halogen (~860 lumens). Most lighting is brighter like my HID's are 4,000 lumens. Like another said its the lens style the D2S is illegal. I was told my white marker lights (switch back bulbs are illegal).

Modern vehicles are coming out with LED headlights like Ford did. Then other luxury cars are using HID lighting too. Then the daytime driving light are typically rings around the head lights that switch to amber when turn signal used. At this point I've done nothing that is not already in use by another brand vehicle. Including my illegal tinted windows (35% opacity) which I've never been busted for either. 

Hey lets throw in the missing license plate lights which have been gone over 10 years. I've never fixed them. 

I've not had a ticket in over 25 years... Yup! Still counting...

Mike, no way I am saying you should take them out law or no law. I have faith that you are blinding oncoming traffic. Thats the part that pisses me off is the folks that only care about what they can see and all others be damned. Pretty darned selfish. What does one do when the person you have blinded slams into you?

• Owner

Just consider a 2021 vehicle the comes OEM with HIDs lights... all it takes is a minor bumper push and could tweak the light assembly and be blinding people or just don't care about the fact your lights are misadjusted. This could happen with factory lights or aftermarket. 

Difference is I actually verify my headlights constantly. I'm watching lo beam pattern for being high, only time that happens when I'm over weight. Then it will pull the lights excessively high.

Another common is guys doing leveling kits and tire swap to oversized and forget the light pattern changed from the leveling kit and rise of the tires.

So morimoto is semi helpful but not realy.

On my own I figured out what was stated above. 9007 9004 are reversed high low beam.

The 2stroke 3.0 is listed as a 9004/9007 bulb the bulb is wired as a 9007 wich is reversed hi low in a truck with 9004. Make sense? I believe someone mentions earlier. 

These bulbs are not symmetrical too to bottom morimoto has now said to rotate the bulb 180 to correct reversed high low. I said that bulb is designed to run upside down. 

Morimoto seems to give information but only when I dig myself and confront them with the info.

I notice the gtr ultra bulb is also a 9094/9007 replacement bulb so its also likely to also be reversed 

The sv4 is sold as 9004 or 9007 not as a single bulb to replace either the sv4 is also a upper led bulb contender 

Im currently am running the bulb as it should be wich means my hi low is reversed.  Thinking on repinning my headlight plug to correct it.

Im also wondering about sport 

Im now thinking about ordering sport housing and a second set of bulbs along with a bright box.

9007 might be correct in the sport high spot 

90049007wiring_d015ab77250d7c31a8eedee0560f7b98891085f8.jpg

• Owner

All I can say waste of money been there done that for 1 year of sport headlight and relay mod. Pattern sucked. The Secondary bulbs make a narrow view pattern of light that runs vertically. I didn't keep these for more than 1 year and sold them. Light pattern was super poor and even with Silverstar Halogens no much light. HID's still win this battle.

DSCF3953.JPG