• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rocker panels cab corners

Well the in between outer and inner panels is looking pretty good and it has some kind of rubbery foam between. Now I'm thinking just corners and put it all back together for next 10 years, maybe forever since I got some fluid film coming. Problem I'm seeing now is floorpan that extends down and becomes a back piece is in the worsted shape from inside. So if I replaced outer shell then in not to distant future I'm sure that would be next thing to cut out. Think I'll leave it alone then do the entire thing at some point, or not, beer time.PXL_20201217_013613375.jpg.7fc6a1b0693a7b9a314e1471a42664e9.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieseldon said:

I'm just hoping you're not planning on spraying that fluid film in there and think it'll be good to go?

Well crap another dream down the pooper:cry:

It can't be that easy I suppose. I got some rust-oleum converter I'll use, not sure if I want to put pair over it though, don't want to trap rust under paint. Maybe rust converter and fluid film will do the trick for a while. 

45 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Well crap another dream down the pooper:cry:

It can't be that easy I suppose. I got some rust-oleum converter I'll use, not sure if I want to put pair over it though, don't want to trap rust under paint. Maybe rust converter and fluid film will do the trick for a while. 

Yeah I would at least do that, maybe scrape off whatever you can and spray with converter, let it do it's thing then fluid film.

Spray the converter on as much as possible.

You're right tho, that could have been a lot worse, doesn't look too bad.

Remember, if you're going to glue repair panel on you want clean bare metal on both sides, like an inch or two, grind down both surfaces down to a bit of a taper so there's not much of an abrupt edge, this will make feathering with filler go smoother. Or put on entire panel on with no filler?, then disregard tapering.

then a thin layer of glue were the bare metal is, clamp and or screw it in place.

You got this! Good luck!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dieseldon said:

Remember, if you're going to glue repair panel on you want clean bare metal on both sides,

I'm welding it, already have a welder and don't feel like spending anymore money on this project. Decided not to do rockers at this time as they are still in good shape, it's the inner inner that is looking bad. So if I'll be doing that at some point I'll do outers then too, for now one beer corner will do, driver side is ok yet. I really thought it be way worse then it is on outers, unfortunately to do this right I'll need all 3 panels and that's something I'm not ready for at this time. Fluid film better do the job till I'm ready.

PXL_20201217_220609360.jpg.e2d1255121146ee630db88ef92c9b61d.jpg

7 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Can I ask what you used to cut the old pieces out? Just curious, with the bed still on there isn't much room once you get around the corner of the cab.

Also, are those the "slip on" cab corners you mentioned earlier in the thread? Looking good so far.

Plasma cutter helped, then some salzaw, grinder with cut off wheel, air tool with cutt off wheel, little bit of chisel and few beers. You can get to some of it from under the bed, eventually I'll take the bed off and finish it with final touches, for now will seal it off and paint. Probably going black on bottom now with some bed liner.

10 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

So time consuming, especially when you don't do this for a livingPXL_20201219_045723264.jpg.6c643ed6a690e81de83e0534d4bc5e25.jpg

Just think about how much money you're saving plus experience and satisfaction of fixing your own truck!

Estimate of shop: @$75hr.

Replace cab corner, 8hrs x 2 $1200

Paint 6hrs x 2 $900

Materials $125 ?

Set bed back for paint, 2 hrs, $150

Parts markup ??

EPA fees ?

Tax, misc.??

Probably a $2500 plus job!

Now you can take that$2500 and go to the dentist and get a cavity filled, I think that takes about an hour to hour and a half?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dieseldon said:

Just think about how much money you're saving plus experience and satisfaction of fixing your own truck!

Leave and learn :cheers: all though I've been around the corner a few times :rolleyes: seen it done it a few times. But not disagreeing with you on your statement. I did this more to stay sain and yeah I believe if I waited another year or two there would be much more damage and I'd have to cut out even more. Not going to worry about fenders or bed, I'll get some rust free at some point. Main thing was the cab for me. I'll be spraying fluid film in the fall now, hopefully it'll keep this thing going for a while longer, wish I new about it 10 years ago. 

Both sides primed just need some pait/bed liner. Cab corners weren't exact match so there's a bit of discrepancy, it'll be fine if it's all black :lmao:, like the song paint it black.PXL_20201220_035400804.jpg.29bd561760f11e621e95d047030e549a.jpg

• Like 1

That looks pretty dang good!

Here's a tip for getting professional paint results on the cheap, take something like your gas cap to a body and paint supply store and ask them to match it, then have them put in an aerosol spray can, (base coat) then finish off with spraymax 2k clear, also spray cans.

Maybe lightly wet sand with 1500 grit and polish. I've done a few that way and got excellent results.

Here's a few pics of daughter in laws I did in driveway last summer.

20200421_124732_copy_1664x832.jpg.71a41f2e0a35262882ea26d0f1a4e24a.jpg20200425_192546_copy_2080x1040.jpg.2b0ea55dfb0ce96c2c058fbc7c3e20b8.jpg20200428_160410_copy_1664x832.jpg.76af9362123ec56e17b2bb818b6a1989.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I wonder if his rear brake light is leaking water through too? I would look at resealing the rear cab light and then make sure all the drain holes are functional and clear. 

What I was wondering, or maybe the entire rear window somehow. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Rear center light has a bad reputation for leaking rare for the window glass to leak unless its a slider. I've got a solid rear window.

Mine is a slider :ahhh: I think it's more to do with po and not washing the truck. When I got it it had few inches deep of lime/roks that were packed inside the frame, he lived on gravel. And when I popped plugs out on rockers and looked inside there was already rust forming, that's when I decided to spray oil in there, I believe it helped although that one video in the link above proves that it's actually can make it worse. I'm thinking about trying to wash all that oil out with a hose and some degreaser maybe then spray some rust converter then fluid film, I ordered a case of that was much cheaper to get a case vs few cans :whistle2: you bet everything will be covered in it now :lmao:

I will check the rear light thought. 

• Like 1

Ok I've seen enough of this truck for this week. Just needs a little more bed liner paint and I'm calling it good. This bed liner spray on first coat runs way too easy, started to look better on second coat, see on the box, and of course I ran out.

Goodbye supporo cans, at least on the cab...

black looks pretty good, matches my bumbers.PXL_20201220_211941173.jpg.a844f7f1ce71df8b128935062e1bf364.jpg

• Like 3