• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is there a "recirc" for heat?

• Staff

I made some cardboard inserts like what you have last year. I couldn't quite get them cut to fit as nice as I would like. I wanted to use them for a template to make some from a more durable material, stainless possibly.

I've looked at the covers sold by Geno's and those seem to cover up quite alot. Might be nessesary somewhere else but I doubt here in ohio.

I have some fronts for mine but with the temp swings we see down my way I got tired of putting them in then taking a couple out every other or so. For the moment I have half of the radiator blocked with card board. I need one of those fancy snap on kind with zipper that you can open and cose.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:35 PM, Doubletrouble said:

Is there a recirc setting that does the same for heat in the winter? Or do we have to set it on max a/c setting which blows the hot air from the main vents?

Thought it might be useful on the really cold days.

Since you are the origin of this post, I am giving you all the credit for making me think outside the box.  

I did a test the other morning - a 15° morning.  I started the truck and put the selector to Max AC (recirc) and set the fan to a high setting.  The cab definitely warmed faster, but was slow to melt frost on the windshield.  I can already see another improvement on the horizon - to be able to use any mode (such as defrost) while recirc is selected.   It would seem that this combination would clear the windshield quickly while warming the cab faster.  I am going get a vacuum control switch to operate the recirc door independently and make the modification soon.

This morning ( a 25° morning) I warmed up my wife's ice covered TDI Passat.  I selected recirc and defrost (because you can!) and both the windshield cleared and the cab warmed quickly.

So thanks again @Doubletrouble!

- John

• Like 1

• Staff

Your welcome @Tractorman

I'll be honest, this is my first dodge truck and I believe the only vehicle I can remember not having a recirc button. That was the reason behind the original question.

If you do a mod where we can recirc on all settings please do a write up. I would be interested in how to do it as well.

I know mopar1973man says it isn't needed on his truck. He seems to have awesome heating. Mine however does not get that hot. I'll look into that later.

Looking forward to a write up (I hope)

• Thanks 1

• Owner
14 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

I know mopar1973man says it isn't needed on his truck. He seems to have awesome heating. Mine however does not get that hot. I'll look into that later.

Simple fix. It will take a bit of work. I'm going to bet your heater core is partial plugged up. So the coolant flow is poor through the heater core. If the heater core is working correctly and coolant is hot (190° to 198°F) then you should be able to feel coolant temp change between heater hoses. 

heater-core.jpg.eb46fa04610cbec3354ef22e

Now if the heater core is partial of plugged up mostly the hose will feel the same temperature meaning there was no air to coolant exchange. Like On my truck the hot side is HOT and you can hold the hose for very long. The cold side is warm but MUCH cooler than the hot side. This shows I have excellent heat exchange and getting a majority of the heat from the heater core. 

Second problem is plug evaporator it will slow the air down greatly. Out here I deal with a lot of rancher that use there truck to feed cows and live stock so hay and pine needles are really common debris I find in the evaporator. This one all I did was change the heater core because the hoses were the same temp (poor coolant flow). Then power washed the evaporator and now the owner today complains that the heater will fry here out. 

DSCF6756.jpg.c2151a3f677c3f15cc5904bec79

Heck NAPA heater core is cheap and you could have heat like do in a mere day...

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NRZNH9010015?partTypeName=Heater+Core&keywordInput=heater+core

• Staff

@Mopar1973Man, I've replaced the heater core and evap, cleaned it all up as well, blend door is working also. However, when I did the heater core I did not flush the entire cooling system or change the thermostat. Those are going to have to be my next move. While doing that I will back flush the new heater core in case any debris got in there. 

My thermostat works but it seems to take a while to warm up and the temp will drop 15-20° sitting at a red light. So not sure if that's normal. 

I'll be doing these once things settle down again. Been off work with a bad knee for a while, funds are very low so any work around home has come to a hault for a bit.