• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Milestone, sort of........

@Mopar1973Man and I have reacked up alot miles between us. And I am proud to have made it this far and still feel this truck has long way go. As long as I can keep the Dodge part together. I hope to return to to how it looked when mine had a 150k on it or or better after I retire. There are times it would be nice to look down at the odo and see 150 on it. I have a spare intrument cluster that l might have throw in one day, it only 133k on it. After the body and paint work though. Be fun for a day.

• Like 2

• Owner
53 minutes ago, dripley said:

@Mopar1973Man and I have reacked up alot miles between us. And I am proud to have made it this far and still feel this truck has long way go. As long as I can keep the Dodge part together. I hope to return to to how it looked when mine had a 150k on it or or better after I retire.

No joke... With my 1,000 a week runs to handle @MoparMomdialysis trips was a mileage adder for sure. Now I'm mostly just local running. About once a week or every other week head down to Lewiston or Boise for groceries and supplies. It will take me a bit to get geared up but I'm looking at possibly doing a bit of hotshot work with the 2006 Dodge being its got a Gooseneck hitch. 

• Like 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, dripley said:

As long as I can keep the Dodge part together.

That's the tricky part. The Cummins will last it's everything dodge did to the platform that will wear out. They're not in the business of building long haul trucks (in quotes) but with the Cummins engine you have the heart of a long hauler. I really enjoy my truck and hope to have it a very long time.

• Like 2

• Staff

That's me! 

I had a 1999 chevy suburban with the 5.7 vortec engine. My other truck at the time had the 5.7 tbi engine with 360k on it so I guess I expected the same from the vortec. Boy was I wrong. I had to change cylinder heads twice due to cracks, distributor went bad, and a few other little things here and there and I only owned it for 18 months. What a pile of crap. Then I bought my Cummins and didn't look back.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

How many of you guys ever owned a real POS gasser that screwed over your budget and was not built right so it helped prompt you into buying a Cummins ?

I can easily raise two hands on that question.

That is EXACTLY & PRECISELY why I purchase my truck.  I had a POS 1993 Chevy Suburban 2500 4 x 4 that was a gas toilet, the engine developed a rod knock at about 18,000 miles, the dealer did NOT replace it with a new crate engine but did a half assed short block rebuild/replacement that was never right.  Even with a Mag Hi Tech deep transmission oil pan and additions HD transmission oil cooler, the transmission would over heat and puke.  The side view mirrors fell apart and were replaced under warranty, the AC sucked even with the rear AC on full blast.  And it was SLOW and had NO POWER.  

When I saw Dodge was changing over to a new body style and common rail diesel engines, I traded the Suburban TURD in with 38,000 miles on my current truck.  I STILL own and love this truck.  I liked it so much I bought one for the wife and she loves hers too. 

Just a bit of unsolicited but hopefully helpful advice.  If you are not changing out your engine coolant every 2 years religiously, I would STRONGLY recommend that you flush and replace your engine coolant with Shell Rotella Extended Life ELC Nitrate Free coolant and at each or every other oil change (depending upon how much you drive it) suck out a gallon of coolant and replace it with new. 

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/lubricants-heavy-duty-products/antifreeze-coolant.html

Same with power steering fluid if you are not doing a complete flush.  I suck the fluid out of the PS reservoir and replace with new every oil change.  Same goes for both axles, transmission, and transfer case.  

I messed up on the wife's truck and forgot to regularly replace the coolant and it I believe this was a primary contributor to the failure of the head gasket.   I believe if you do the above, you should be able to get at least 500k out of your truck excluding if you drive it in salt conditions.  Hang on to her and take care of her as these trucks are becoming nearly impossible to find for sale in good condition.  

Edited by LiveOak
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

I've often wondered what mine stickers for when new just out if curiosity mainly. 

Since I've bought my '01 Cummins I don't think I can be happy with anything else. With the low mileage I have on mine I should have it for quiet a while as long as I take care of her.

I cant think yours would have been much less than mine unless you had the higher trim level. Mine was a SLT which was not the highest by any means. It does boggle my sometimes when I see a low mileage truck such as yours for sale. According to all the myths I hear, yours is not evem broken in yet. I hope you enjoy yours as I have and will still enjoy mine. It still tickles me to catch someone on the interstate in my faded truck and old wrinkled man in the cab passing your BMW in the right lane and they cant stop me. 

• Like 4

On 12/19/2020 at 6:13 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

You made the first 100k miles. 

@dripleybeen to the moon and back. (487k miles). I'm right behind him with my truck at 424k miles. Another ~50k miles to get home from the moon. Getting to the moon is 238k miles. Moon and back is 487k. Around the world is barely 50k miles. 

Oh common, we all know moon is made of cheese and not something you can land on, plus it's only as far as your imagination. All kidding aside I was always fascinated with it and always wondered if it's so far why am I seeing it so clearly with such a detail and can my eyes really see 240000 miles away with such details. Idk, I know someone does.

Don't mean to be a party pooper and ruin the moon drive

• Confused 1

I have gone from a work Ford Transit and my truck parked on the drive festering in the winter with bucketfuls of condensation on the inside to my truck is my work vehicle, pulls a box trailer workshop and it's just at 165 ish K

It's now dry inside and will last better for the use I'm sure

Totally agree on the dodge bit....... babying the trans, careful of ALL electrics and deleting as much as possible, grid heaters and fuel pump and PCM fuse

Fuel here is a killer @ £1.20 plus a litre but  I figure that tax man pays for that

Would really like a real US 5th wheel flat bed with my box on the front and a bed for transporting but here thats silly ££

• Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Oh common, we all know moon is made of cheese and not something you can land on, plus it's only as far as your imagination. All kidding aside I was always fascinated with it and always wondered if it's so far why am I seeing it so clearly with such a detail and can my eyes really see 240000 miles away with such details. Idk, I know someone does.

What I could never figure out is when I look at the moon with my old transit scope you see all this high detail with craters all over it. It's really cool to see, but why then does the Earth only have a few craters? :shrug:

Not counting the ones around Dripley's place after doing electrical work :thumb1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Just put it in perspective. The moon maybe 240k miles away but its diameter 2160 or so miles. A lot of the details you can see are miles in size yet small to us with the distance. Size matters. 

When I lived Marietta ga I used watch the planes coming in and out of Dobbins AFB. The C5A's would almost seem to be floating they were moving so slow. Then I got to see one up close and they are huge airplanes. Thats whenI realized that the ones I was seeing were mile or more off. 

29 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

What I could never figure out is when I look at the moon with my old transit scope you see all this high detail with craters all over it. It's really cool to see, but why then does the Earth only have a few craters? :shrug:

No atmosphere or weather on the moon to erode them away like here on earth. No atmosphere also allows you to see the details better. We do still have some on earth just google it.

34 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Not counting the ones around Dripley's place after doing electrical work :thumb1:

Just another reason why I dont like electrical work.

And as usual I see my old buddy @IBMobileis messing around in the classified pictures again.

• Like 2