• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coolant leak

Noticed a big puddle under my truck this morning. I know it’s coolant because it was low and on my way to pickup hay the cab was filling with steam. And the carpet is wet on the passenger side. I’m assuming heater core but heard that it leaks in the cab not out. I took a video of somewhere that seems to be leaking but maybe it’s just dripping down from there? Also looks like maybe a something attached there and fell off? I’m not too sure, any help is appreciated. I already bought a new heater core because I figured I should replace it because I’ve done everything else in the coolant system, heat and A/C.

6608E4A7-55E3-47CE-9834-72C83B8AD8E1.jpeg

A leaking core wil drain into the box and out thru the box drain on the passanger front thru the fire wall. There shoud a 90 on that stub out. If it has been knocked off, when you drive air will force in liquid back into the box and then onto the passanger floor. I knocked mine off when rebuilding the hvac box. My floor flooded pretty good from the condensation when running the ac. Though while parked it drain out the front.

• Thanks 1

Okay yes it missing that 90° piece. So that’s exactly what’s happening then because while stopped it wasnt leaking in the cab. While parked it leaks out the drain at the firewall. Thanks! Glad to know I got the right part since I’m already halfway through removing the dash lol

Mine was not that quick by any means. I day for dash removal, one day for HVAC box rebuild, and one day to put it back together. I did my dash pad also and that slowed reassembly a bit. Had my skinny son over for help to reach the pesky little screws holding the dash pad to the dash. Still all in all a straight forward job. 

Everything went well. Going to have to remove the dash again in a month or so because I just ordered a new one. Mine was pretty cracked but it never bothered me because of my dash cover. Now it has about a football sized hole in it.  It didn’t take too long, I started at around 12:30 and finished about 6 or a little before. I never took the dash completely out, I just took off all the screws at the top, then the one on each side on the brackets. 2 from steering column and pulled the dash as far as I could without breaking anything. I didn’t even have to unplug anything.  The Only way I could remove the heater core and put in the new one without cutting was taking all the nuts off that hold the HVAC box and slide it back about 6 inches, luckily the A/C lines had enough room to come with so I didn’t have to do anything with that.

I replaced my dash pad, the heater core, and the evaporator all at the same time. Took the passanger side loose snd let the drivers hang on the bolt. Wirked pretty good except there a screws that attach the pad to the back side of the dash. The last 2 or 3 were fun to get to. 

• Like 1