• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got a computer question and need some advice/help

LiveOak

I think there are more than a few computer savy folks on this forum.  I recently purchased this computer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WDSGD1J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the first time I have used/own an SSD & HDD equipped computer.  My question is, what is the best way to used/manage the data on this computer.  I am transferring my documents and other files from the other computer to the new one.  I have been searching the internet looking for information on this topic and for the most part I am find recommendations to store "data" on the HDD and programs as well as frequently used games, etc. on the SDD.  

I guess my question is, should I store my word and other documents on the SDD or the HDD?  I transferred all of the documents from the other computer to a 512 GB sd care and transferred them to the document directory that was already on the new computer.  These went onto the SDD.  I am pretty sure the intent/idea is NOT to load up the SDD with files that you don't frequently use to take advantage of it's superior speed and store files that you infrequently use on the HDD which has much slower access but is just fine for storage of infrequently used files.  

I'm looking for advice on the best way to manage both the SDD & HDD on the new computer as it is lightning fast compare to the other computer that used only a HDD.  Thanks!  Best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  :thumbup2:

P.S. If I posted this in the wrong place, moderators please move it to where it should be to get the best viewing.  Thanks!

Edited by LiveOak

• Owner

Ok here is my example I'm on Ubuntu Linux.

So my SSD drive is 250 GB drive. I've got all my Linux ROOT files on the SSD. Being Linux gives me the choice of placing all the read only files in one partition. So the 250 SSD has a partition for the Linux ROOT and then space for Windows 7 (VirtualBox). This ROOT partition is only system files and are typically only read from here. The only writes that might happen is configuration changes or updates.

image.png

Screenshot from 2020-12-20 05-22-47.png

Then my storage drive is a 1 TB (1,000 GB) hard drive. Now Linux allows me to specify my HOME partition. This is where all your store of files, downloads, pictures, music, videos, etc all stored. This allows me to keep the writing stuff off the SSD extending my hard drive life of the SSD. Being most are good for 100,000 write cycles. My method reduces that write cycle to only when I run my system up date. This drive is a hybrid both SSD and Mechanical. 

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean

image.png

Screenshot from 2020-12-20 05-27-30.png

Then my massive backup drive which covers both the local machine and second backup of the website when I'm doing work. Ubuntu does a awesome job of backing up everything. This is a older mechanical drive that is even slower at 5,400 RPM.

image.png

Screenshot from 2020-12-20 05-29-01.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Works mostly for sequential reading like page 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. But not when its sector 512, 97, 34, 1,024, etc. There is no read ahead possible being that is testing more the ability to hunt sectors down fast use mechanical drive. Hence the match in performance.  Linux has a internal file function called "preload" and I do have it loaded up. It reads common files up to memory and call files from memory cache more than physical drives too. 

Long way from how Microsoft works. 

As for Microsoft I've seen a few brief articles about splitting the partitions up in the same style but it bit more technical than how Linux handles this. Linux gives you this option during installing the actual OS. As for Windows the last time I played there it didn't give options for partitioned drives during install. I'm sure there is a way but how hard is it for the end user? 

I initially copied the documents, picture, and video's, etc. to the SSD.  Access was lightening fast.  I went back and copied it to the HDD and deleted it from the SSD.  The SSD is much slower but not so slow that I find it a problem.  

This computer is FAR over my head in it's capabilities vs. mine but I expect to gradually grow into it.  As computers and the software continue to change and develop, it will last me awhile I hope.  

Many thanks for the advice and suggestions.  

• Owner

If I ever got you to jump ship to Linux it would be even faster. Windows is extremely heavy system load wise. A peek at my Conky panel with all my system stats. Fun part is this machine was built back in 2006 with AMD AM2 processor (4 core). Still quick!

image.png

Take notice I've got basically 16 GB of RAM (1.2 used for Video RAM). Only need 4 GB for just working in Ubuntu Linux. If I fire up Windows 7 (Virtual Box) it will suck up every last drop of RAM instantly. As you can see I've got my  250GB SSD Drive on my ROOT folder so only my read only files are there this will extend the life of the drive. Being most SSD are good for 100,000 writes to every sector. As you also see Linux created a 2GB swap file but no used at all. My writing drive is the mechanic hybrid which is a 1 TB in size. Then my Backup drive which Linux does automatically every daily is a older 2 TB drive. Yes the Hybrid drive works great for long sequential reading where random is still not stellar vs straight mechanical. 

• Owner

Ummm... I'm using Quickbooks on Ubuntu Linux 20.04.1... Might check again being Intuit Products can be used on browser...

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/self-employed/

Even if forced to Windows, I can use Virtual Box for my Windows 7...

https://www.virtualbox.org/

This allows you to load Windows in a Virtual Machine. This makes the Windows Bulletproof. Its all behind my Linux firewall and don't even use a anti-virus on Windows. Even if I DID get a virus it will NOT infect my Linux because the virtual box is virtual hard drive and does not infect the Linux. Just delete the virtual drive and start over. I can even back up that image just after install and flash it back in action in less than a few minutes. Less down time period. I have zero network connection to Windows unless I permit it. Matter of fact since I upgraded hard drives I've never reloaded Windows 7 on my virtual box for over a year now. Found Linux versions of everything... 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Once I am done with a few project on the farm, I may give Linux another look.  I would like to be done with Windows for sure.  I guess I have been using Windows for so long, it is psychologically difficult to make that jump.  :ahhh:

• Owner

Not hard at all. Really it just names on software... 

Adobe Photoshop $240 -> GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) - FREE

Microsoft Office $140 -> Libre Office (Included with Ubuntu for FREE)

List goes on... Linux Software is FREE. 62,372 different apps all for FREE. The list is actually even larger! Just depends on how big you make your repository.

Screenshot from 2020-12-23 08-22-04.png

Even a bonus my cellphone is already tied to the computer so if my phone rings, I'm prompted. If I get a text message its displayed on my computer. If you look up toward the top right the cellphone icon is in my notification bar. Ubuntu Linux and Android Linux work hand in hand. Even back up my cellphone if I want too.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I've got nothing good to say about Biden... :sick:

Yes, you could text me and the the cellphone would pick up the text then the cellphone notifies my computer I have a text message and then I can just click the notification on the computer and read and reply to the text without ever picking up the phone. The phone just need to be in WiFi range and the computer can sense it. I could leave my phone in the bedroom on the charger and still be in front of the computer and use it. 

Reverse I could be in the living room but need to change over to YouTube from the computer. I could grab my cellphone use it like a trackpad and mouse over and control the computer to start youtube or video connection to my TV. I can even type URL address on my phone and have it entered on the computer. Either way I can control both devices in any direction.