Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see you lurking about Mopar1973Man.Com reading articles and reading other member's posts. Are you trying to solve a problem with your Dodge / Ram Turbo Diesel Cummins? We have lots of helpful members and staff on the Mopar1973Man.Com and are willing to give guidance on how to fix or improve your truck. You know when you see good valued information here on Mopar1973Man.Com. We are not corporate owned like many of the other websites out there. Like Cummins Forum (VerticalScope Inc.). Mopar1973Man.Com is entirely privately owned and operated since 2004. Your subscription funds goes towards server maintenance and software maintenance. We happen to be one of the most friendliest and helpful websites for Cummins Owners in the world. Come join us and register and then pick a subscription plan

     

Changed turbo and exhaust manifold - now I have white smoke under acceleration


Recommended Posts

  • Board Of Directors

I replaced my turbo with this one.

 

http://theturboplace.com/-S200GX-E-Dodge-Ram-Upgrade-Turbo--12769880001_p_290.html

 

And replaced the manifold with a stock one.  It had a crack in it at on the flange where the turbo mounts on.

 

Now I'm getting a plume of white smoke upon acceleration.  Have't tried driving it.

 

The truck only has just over 100k miles on it.  

 

Fuel pressure is at 15 PSI at idle.  Which is what it was before.

 

I'm running Bosch RV 275 injectors which I put in in Oct 2018

 

I have no error codes.

 

What should I look for next?

 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

 

 

 

 

Edited by leety
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3 kids in diapers is enough to melt anyones smeller. As I remeber there might have been some white smoke coming out of a couple of mine at the same time.

Not typically the turbo that explodes first, the crank/rods/pistons have a much lower tolerance of RPM.   Think of it this way as long as the turbo has oil feed it's sort of ok but feed it e

I agree, and I doubt a manual would fare much better at the task. Stall stopping was brought up which is why I mentioned it. As you said the only good way to stop a runaway is to block the air intake.

Posted Images

  • Board Of Directors
9 minutes ago, dripley said:

You say you have not driven it so I assume the white smoke is from free revving it in driveway? What does it smell like?

Yes free revving in driveway.  Smells about the same as it used to when the smoke was black.  The smoke doesn't appear to have any blue in it.

 

I'm wondering if there's a compatibility issue with my injectors and the bigger turbo.  Perhaps it's dumping fuel? 

 

It sounds great at idol, better than before.  Of course the manifold was leaking and there was no gasket between the exhaust brake and the turbo.

 

I have a Quadzilla here that I will get to installing, probably Tuesday, if all goes well.  I'm wondering if I might be able to adjust something with the quad to fix it. 

 

I have a block tester on the way just to make sure it's not a head gasket.

Edited by leety
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boost has a lot control over the amount of fuel to the engine. But if it was un burnt fuel in the form of white you have smelled it. I lost one cylinder after my HG instal due the bridge coming loose on the intake valves. At idle it produced a lot smoke but wreaked of diesel fuel. Choked when Itook a big whif. Anti freeze will put out a very distinct smell also. Maybe it is just that turbo with a near stock engine thats the culprit. Somone smarter than me will be along with an answer. I cant imagine it would hurt to test drive it and see if it clears up with a load on the engine as long as everything else seems normal.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors
1 minute ago, dripley said:

Boost has a lot control over the amount of fuel to the engine. But if it was un burnt fuel in the form of white you have smelled it. I lost one cylinder after my HG instal due the bridge coming loose on the intake valves. At idle it produced a lot smoke but wreaked of diesel fuel. Choked when Itook a big whif. Anti freeze will put out a very distinct smell also. Maybe it is just that turbo with a near stock engine thats the culprit. Somone smarter than me will be along with an answer. I cant imagine it would hurt to test drive it and see if it clears up with a load on the engine as long as everything else seems normal.

Thanks sorry for the newb question but what is "HG"?  Yea I may take it out for a bit tomorrow.  I live on super steep hills though and there's no turning back once I launch outa here so that's a bit worry-some.  My driveway out is about a 1:1 grade.

 

I just don't want to break it and be stuck up here.  Getting towed out of here will be next to impossible.  I have a camper on my truck that can't come off right now and low wire on the way out.  I need 12' of headroom with all wheels down.  I bearly clear that wire is I sit.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, leety said:

Thanks sorry for the newb question but what is "HG"?  Yea I may take it out for a bit tomorrow.  I live on super steep hills though and there's no turning back once I launch outa here so that's a bit worry-some.  My driveway out is about a 1:1 grade.

 

I just don't want to break it and be stuck up here.  Getting towed out of here will be next to impossible.  I have a camper on my truck that can't come off right now and low wire on the way out.  I need 12' of headroom with all wheels down.  I bearly clear that wire is I sit.

 

HG=head gasket. When I adjusted the valves l thought l had tightened the pushrod adjustment on #6 intake but the wrench was hitting the rocker and made it "feel" tight. Came loose about 1/8th of mile down the road. Couldn't believe how much white smoke came out from one cylinder missing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors
1 minute ago, dripley said:

HG=head gasket. When I adjusted the valves l thought l had tightened the pushrod adjustment on #6 intake but the wrench was hitting the rocker and made it "feel" tight. Came loose about 1/8th of mile down the road. Couldn't believe how much white smoke came out from one cylinder missing. 

Thanks ouch that doesn't sound like a good time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, leety said:

Thanks ouch that doesn't sound like a good time.

Pretty easy to deal with, just turned around and went back and reinstalled it. But l cant say it didnt freak me out until I found the problem. A lot if bad things were going thru my mind.  Pretty obvious when I pulled the valve cover.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors
3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I would jump to anyrhing yet.  How much white smoke are we talking about?

 

 

How long has the truck sat for while parts came in?

It's been setting about 2 months now.  It's a bit of smoke, rather a plume.  I can try to make make a video of it tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors

Don't drive it just bring it up to full temps at 1100rpm for about 15 mins. If you don't have a high idle kit you can adjust the seat to push the pedal with a stick just enough for 1100 rpm. Watch see if it starts to clear up as it warms. It really shouldn't be doing this white smoke though, without the sweet smell of antifreeze it is often unburned fuel. But why? :shrug:

I want to ask too...... after it's warmed up should the exhaust manifold be retorqued along with the turbo?

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never retorqued either of mine after the HG install. I dont think that is necessary. Thoughl have heard of exhaust bolt trying to back off. Thats what the metal straps were on them from the factory. Been 60k on mine since with no issues.

I didn't torque the turbo but did torque the manifold.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors
10 minutes ago, dripley said:

Never retorqued either of mine after the HG install. I dont think that is necessary. Thoughl have heard of exhaust bolt trying to back off. Thats what the metal straps were on them from the factory. Been 60k on mine since with no issues.

I didn't torque the turbo but did torque the manifold.

I managed to get the metal straps back in and I torque everything unless I can’t get at it but I find ways to get at nearly everything.  The challenge is fun for me.    Takes longer but tinkering is my spa.

Edited by leety
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 I haven't taken anything major apart on mine, mainly stock with 150k but noticed a while back 2 of the exhaust manifold bolts had backed out about 1/8". I tightened them down and no issues since. Probably should put a torque wrench to them for piece of mind though.

 I agree with the above, I would bring her up to temp, listen for any odd noises and check for tell tale smells in the process.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

You did injectors right?

 

There is air in the system I typically take the truck and go out and do a few WOT runs for short burst to bring the rail pressure up to MAX to push all the air out of the lines. The white smoke is because the timing is retarded. This is due to the fact air is compressible so there is timing lost compressing the air bubble and the firing the injectors. The only way to get rid of that is a few WOT run loaded and it will blow the air out on high loads. If not like in my last go around on 7.3L Ford double check your injector wiring this includes CR engines too. 

 

They will run rough and idle weird and free revving seems weak and lots of smoke. Totally normal. Go drive it and blow the air out typically in the first run she will clear right up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You did injectors right?

 

There is air in the system I typically take the truck and go out and do a few WOT runs for short burst to bring the rail pressure up to MAX to push all the air out of the lines. The white smoke is because the timing is retarded. This is due to the fact air is compressible so there is timing lost compressing the air bubble and the firing the injectors. The only way to get rid of that is a few WOT run loaded and it will blow the air out on high loads. If not like in my last go around on 7.3L Ford double check your injector wiring this includes CR engines too. 

 

They will run rough and idle weird and free revving seems weak and lots of smoke. Totally normal. Go drive it and blow the air out typically in the first run she will clear right up. 

I believe you are talking about a 3rd gen or newer. She has a VP truck and did not touch the injectors, just a new turbo and exhaust manifold. Your morning coffee on yet?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors

Yeah Mikey, you better get extra cup :thumb1:

 

Leety is that a brand new turbo or a rebuild? I'm worried oil may be leaking into the exhaust from the bearing oil causing the white smoke. If oil goes into the intake that could be a very bad deal.

 

Was it idling higher than normal?

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...