• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Axle u joint question

So getting the driver side axle u joint done today. I did the passenger side about 6 months ago and everything went fine. So here’s where I need help. I watched a few videos and read a few articles on the driver side, and some people have said that if it’s 4wd you have to lock it in 4 so that something doesn’t drop in the diff when you pull the axle shaft? Is there any truth to this or can I just do it the same as the passenger side? Also does anyone seem to have a part number for the driver side u joint? Autozone gave me too small of one already which I remember they did last time so I had to bring in my old one to compare. Today I don’t have another Vehicle to go back if they get me the wrong one again so any help on that is very appreciated. 

I think :think: if you're have a cad axle then the ring that locks it in needs to be in certain position or it can fall off, then you'll need to open the cover and put it on. You're on driver side so should be fine, I don't remember doing anything special when I changed mine aside from the cad part. I got original spicers from local rebuilder, I believe they get better quality parts as they do it for a living.

• Thanks 1

I have pulled both front axles from mine at least 3 times over the 19 years l have had it with no issues and it has the CAD axle. Juat dont use abnormal force reinstalling them, they should go in easily. They both have to go thru a seal to be reinstalled and you dont want to booger them up.

• Like 1

• Staff

Since I don't know if you have a 2500 or 3500 and what GVWR rating is of your pickup, this is what I can provide;

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/transmission---transaxle-16780/cv-driveshaft-axle-16804/u-joints---axle-shaft-19782/ca50218970c9/2001/dodge/ram-2500?q=u+joints+-+axle+shaft 

Autozone sucks! They don't even seem to know what u-joint is when looking up a search for it.

Edited by 99_Cummins_4x4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 99_Cummins_4x4 said:

Since I don't know if you have a 2500 or 3500 and what GVWR rating is of your pickup, this is what I can provide;

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/transmission---transaxle-16780/cv-driveshaft-axle-16804/u-joints---axle-shaft-19782/ca50218970c9/2001/dodge/ram-2500?q=u+joints+-+axle+shaft 

Autozone sucks! They don't even seem to know what u-joint is when looking up a search for it.

Awesome thanks I can pick one up from them on my way home. Autozone didn’t have any dimensions for them and the last one I bought for the passenger side was moog for 75$. I noticed the Spicer one is only 60$

Edited by ColoradoColt