• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another quad - mpg question

7 hours ago, dieseldon said:

I'm curious what level gets the best milage regardless of tune

I would say Level 2, but with proper tuning I could see level 3 giving great mileage, too. I have no experience with wire tapping but Mike has previously mentioned driving around on max wire tap and getting good mileage. I seem to recall his wire tap doesn't engage until higher boost, like 15-20 PSI, so even when it engages shouldn't roll coal and waste fuel.

• Like 1

I guess it's just a good thing I decided to use the dodge mainly for towing, the dodge vs my gmc would've made zero sense economically as a daily driver even if it were only the cost difference in fuel. Although it does help boost testosterone levels, LOL!                            I'm assumeing those low summer prices were too good to last?

Too bad there's that whole scam deal nonsense going on with diesel fuel prices! 🤬 I am old enough to remember when diesel was way cheaper than gas, but then there was really no diesel pick-ups on the road either. 🤔.... SCAM!

Can't wait till - you know who- starts implementing the "green new deal".... NOT! I better stop before I get into trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I rin the Comp but never saw a huge bump in mpg. 1 mpg more tops. I tow in level 3, 11 to 11.5 mpg, and empty in level 5 at 19 to 19.5 empty. I towed a 35' 5th wheel at 15k pounds and near 13' tall. I never believed all 3 to 4 mpg gallon possivle increases that every one seems to advertise for z, y, or z modifacation. 

This not to say you cant get yours up near 20 with Quad. Sure would seem possible with it. Just have find the right tune. That is above my paygrade.

Edited by dripley

• Owner
7 hours ago, dripley said:

I rin the Comp but never saw a huge bump in mpg. 1 mpg more tops. I tow in level 3, 11 to 11.5 mpg, and empty in level 5 at 19 to 19.5 empty. I towed a 35' 5th wheel at 15k pounds and near 13' tall. I never believed all 3 to 4 mpg gallon possivle increases that every one seems to advertise for z, y, or z modifacation. 

This not to say you cant get yours up near 20 with Quad. Sure would seem possible with it. Just have find the right tune. That is above my paygrade.

Back in the day I found that if you want to get good MPG you had to limit your speed to about 55 MPH. Above that the engine load was too high and stripped off the cruise timing. Being the Edge Comp basically adds timing on top of stock. With the Quadzilla you set all your timing yourself. Just like I'm finding out on level 2 your completely stock fuel (limited to 100%). Now any and efficiency is based on timing. Just "close" timing should get you to the 19-20 MPG range with winterized fuel. 

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Back in the day I found that if you want to get good MPG you had to limit your speed to about 55 MPH. Above that the engine load was too high and stripped off the cruise timing. Being the Edge Comp basically adds timing on top of stock. With the Quadzilla you set all your timing yourself. Just like I'm finding out on level 2 your completely stock fuel (limited to 100%). Now any and efficiency is based on timing. Just "close" timing should get you to the 19-20 MPG range with winterized fuel. 

I have no doubt that Quad is better tuner with the adjustability it offers. I was able to make 19.5 mpg on a highway with the comp on level 5 mostly cruising around 70 to 75 but those left lane riders kept getting in the way. For the most part on non winterized fuel as best I can tell. Nothing is marked on the pumps out my way. with temps not dropping down to 20 very often here I doubt they need to. I was able to make a pure highway run yesterday and wracked up 430 miles just shy of the 1/2 tank mark on the gauge. Bare in mind thats about 2/3 of a tank full gone, but all the ear marks of a 19.5 mpg run for me. first long run I have made in a while. Still running 600 or so miles a week just on secondary roads. Between that and idling to stay warm or cool my mileage is in the mid teens,14 to 15, on a good week. But riding around a 7500 pounds I am not complaining.

I'm still a little confused about #1 and #2 diesel, I understand in a nutshell they're different cetane but how about efficiency? Is #2 worth the extra forty cents per gallon, the difference between flying j (40 cents more) and Fred Meyer is approx one block apart. What say you?

I don't plan on giving my truck up either, but when I have a nice cushy park avenue that I can operate for half the cost and no wear and tear on the truck that'll be my daily driver, fortunately don't need a truck for work, etc.

Moparman, when you say "close timing" what kinda numbers are you talking about?  @45, @55, 65, 75, 80?

With or without head studs make any difference?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, dieseldon said:

I'm still a little confused about #1 and #2 diesel, I understand in a nutshell they're different cetane but how about efficiency? Is #2 worth the extra forty cents per gallon, the difference between flying j (40 cents more) and Fred Meyer is approx one block apart. What say you?

I dont see #1 out my way. Why it would cheaper than #2 I dont know. Out my way it is all #2 and #2 blended with Bio. I dont see as much of the blend as I used to. Love's carried it for a good while but it has been very hard to find a pump labeled for the bio blend. Plus Love's is now about 10% higher than most places. Around $2.50 at Love's and about $2.25 a gallon most every where else. They used be in line with everyone else.

There is Murph's oil outside of a Wal Mart on the way work. Had to stop at Lowe's near there about 2.5 months ago and they diesel for $1.71 while it was still $2.25 at home and $2.15 neat the job. Don't know why it was so much cheaper there. But over the past 2.5 months they slowly went back up to the average price everywhere else. It was fun while it lasted though.

• Owner

I'm sure enjoying the fact that I'm no longer driving 1,100 miles a week. Yeah I'm stuck driving either to Lewiston or Ontario for most stuff. Local stores have gone up in prices. Even fuel price in the valley is high. So we attempt to round up every ones shopping list and make a full day of getting supplies about every other week. Yeah it was nice when I was running @MoparMomback and forth I could do shopping and part gather every other day. (Tues, Thurs, Sat.). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Start at about 19° @ 2k RPM in cruise state.

As for cetane, higher the cetane the lower the BTUs. Lower the cetane the higher the BTUs.

Thanks moparman! I'll try to dial that in.

I was just trying to figure out how flying j thinks their fuel is worth 40 cents more per gallon? Maybe if they were a mile apart, but they're right next to each other, flying j has a neon sign advertising #2 diesel, fred meyers told me they don't know what's in theirs!

No biggie, just one of those head scratchers 🤔 they both have a lot of traffic, flying j has big rig pumps.

(Federal way, right off I 84)

• Owner
3 hours ago, dieseldon said:

Thanks moparman! I'll try to dial that in.

I was just trying to figure out how flying j thinks their fuel is worth 40 cents more per gallon? Maybe if they were a mile apart, but they're right next to each other, flying j has a neon sign advertising #2 diesel, fred meyers told me they don't know what's in theirs!

No biggie, just one of those head scratchers 🤔 they both have a lot of traffic, flying j has big rig pumps.

(Federal way, right off I 84)

Again Quadzilla Tip. 

Figure your max timing out first. Then stack your cruise timing on top. 

Figure like I do in the winter time with high cetane I've got to back off the timing since the fuel lights super easy. Here is what I would suggest. This is a +4° step timing starting at 13°.

1,500 RPM - 13°

2,000 RPM - 17°

2,500 RPM - 21°

3,000 RPM - 25°

Now figure your cruise timing on top. Set your Light throttle Timing Adv. for +2° will give you 19° at 2k RPM

1,500 RPM - 13° +2 = 15°

2,000 RPM - 17° +2 = 19°

2,500 RPM - 21° +2 = 23°

3,000 RPM - 25° +2 = 27°

As for the cruise timing for load value I usually watch my flat ground engine load at 65 MPH cruise set and then maybe at the most add 2% on top. I float about 19% to 20% engine load right now. Add the +2 to that and now the cruise limit is 22% then it drops to the load based timing. 

This should get you started...

Thanks again for the help!

I didn't even realize you changed timing during winter.

It's too bad quadzilla doesn't explain their product a little better with youtube videos, more in-depth instructions or?? , just generic bare minimum, leaving people like me scratching their heads not knowing up from down. I really gotta wonder if they even understand it as well as you?

Strange how quadzilla doesn't talk on forums anymore, at least since 2017 from what I can tell? Or maybe just on newer model forums? I really haven't looked that close.

I hope people keep buying their stuff and they're around for support for a good long time.

Moparman, just to be 100% clear, when you say cruise limit does that mean light throttle limit? I'm starting to think the timing parameters terminology has changed over the yrs?? Kinda confusing when you're talking about cruise timing and cruise psi, etc. Not exactly sure on max load timing either or low psi timing reduct?IMG_20201231_200511_copy_1500x2000.jpg.ba4ea00187869fe7df4e20454b939d4d.jpg

Here is my timing parameters, please let me know if you see anything off or strange,  tthanks !

P. S. Happy new year!!

IMG_20201231_194311_copy_1500x2000.jpg.7f71ed079b9419bf120d8f5183d05ff7.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 9:16 PM, dieseldon said:

when you say cruise limit does that mean light throttle limit?

Yes. That confused me in the past, too!

Other than the Adrenaline, my truck is stock (see my signature for details) with a dinky HY35 turbo. Since the factory timing is over 13 degrees at 1500 RPM and I don't need help getting the turbo spooled, I started my table around 13.5 or 14 degrees timing. I also set my "Light Throttle Limit" to 40% so I can stay in the higher timing (19.5-20 degrees) while cruising on flat ground at 70-72 MPH. My mileage is MUCH better since I've done that. EGTs are lower, required throttle input is lower. And that's before I changed the rear diff carrier bearings.

It's great on a Sunday, etc., to do laps on the highway, back and forth with different settings to see what changes. Low traffic and cruise control helps minimize variables pass to pass.

I think this tank I'll be well over 19 MPG, but watch it drop to 16.5 🤬🤔😆