• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

pulling to left while accelerating

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I know our frame is in 2 pieces with rivets mine has rust that has swelling and bulging between the two halfs. Guessing this was one of ways fiat saving money? Front half is not as thick as rear? Idk maybe something going on there ? Seems a lot of sled pulling guys folded these trucks in half before. 

WOW! I hadn't heard of that one yet , and I used to repair frames (collision repair) on a weekly basis, but I've been out of the trade for about ten years too, and don't really follow the sled pulling gig.

My truck is "fairly" rust free but the undercarriage does need some attention from years of road salt damage and such, Idaho now uses it instead of sand 🤬

And it was originally bought and owned for a while near california coast.

It certainly doesn't help my old long held preconceived prejudice towards mopars quality ☹️

• Staff

This may be a shot in the dark but, try checking the frame in Front near all attaching/mounting points such as suspension, steering and so on. A friend of mine had frame flex in front causing it to handle funny. He installed some sort of brace in the front and it fixed it. Not sure what or where it was though.

25 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

This may be a shot in the dark but, try checking the frame in Front near all attaching/mounting points such as suspension, steering and so on. A friend of mine had frame flex in front causing it to handle funny. He installed some sort of brace in the front and it fixed it. Not sure what or where it was though.

Well the only brace I see a lot of people using is that sector shaft brace , correct me if I'm wrong? I already have one, not sure how much it helped? It supposed to help stiffen up the rails. Also have a front receiver hitch, (partially welded on) so I'm about

Braced out as far as front end, lol !

Still no entirely convinced that rear end isn't moving, I'm just not seeing?

Thanks for the input!

Edited by dieseldon

• Owner

Lets say all the braces I found out traces are just hanging weight and no longer used. My landlord at my other shop had one but the bearing failed. I took one off a 1 ton Dodge which the box was still sloppy. I used this steering box while my Blue Top was rebuilt (bad shaft with a nick in it which kept damaging the seals).

Myself I've never used or needed a brace. I've never used over sized tires. I'm all stock sized (Early 2nd Gen). Where the problem comes in is over sized tires. The amount of force needed to steering the tires on the front axle takes quite a bit of force which pushes or pulls on the pitman arm. Hence why the output seal will fail. Since I'm technically undersized I upgrade to a "Quick Ratio" steering box and still don't the brace. 

• Blue Top Steering Box ((Quick Ratio)
  • No brace used in 426k miles. 
  • Stock steering box last 350k miles.
  • Running on 245/75 R16 tires (30.5 Inch)
Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff

The latest trend, seen several running down the highway, is wheels and tires so deep and wide sticking out the sides of the truck. There must be 6 to 8 inches out past the fenders without any mud flaps. They look like they rolling on toilet paper rolls. It's very weird...... it seems one guy started it and then others have to copy. Got to be hard on the wheel bearings. To add to it they are driving extreme aggressive like they idiots or something. :cookoo:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

• Owner
1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

The latest trend, seen several running down the highway, is wheels and tires so deep and wide sticking out the sides of the truck. There must be 6 inches out past the fenders without any mud flaps. They look like they rolling on toilet paper rolls. It's very weird...... as seems one guy started it and then others have to copy. People are weird.

Now actually try it... 

Being I had my stock aluminum mags crack I bought a set of modular mags 16x7 wheels but the offset was wrong and the tires stuck out a mere 1 inch. Now couple that with 3 days a week driving over 1,100 miles. With in just about 15 miles the side windows are covered in so much mud, road grit you can't see out your side windows to look in the mirrors to change lanes. This is why I went hunting for the early 2nd Gen wheels that are 16x7 with proper offset to get the tires back under the fenders. No longer have this issue the road grime is now only on the doors not on the glass.

So for all them with them hanging out they never really drove there truck like I have and I just giggle and laugh when I see one with the windows out washed out with road grime. 

• Like 1

• Staff

I'm not makin' this up Mike... I saw a jacked dually yesterday with wheels so wide they stuck out at least 8 inches past the fender, front and back mind you, he sped by only so he could tailgate a small car at high speed with the rest of the tailgaters. I was amazed at the amount of aggression. 

• Sad 1

• Owner
7 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I'm not makin' this up Mike... I saw a jacked dually yesterday with wheels so wide they stuck out at least 8 inches past the fender, front and back mind you, he sped by only so he could tailgate a small car at high speed with the rest of the tailgaters. I was amazed at the amount of aggression. 

Yup, I see a lot of that between the larger cities like Lewiston and Boise. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, AH64ID said:

That’s not a new trend, unfortunately. 

Very true. I've heard nicknames for this style and its something I can't repeat here. 

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Lets say all the braces I found out traces are just hanging weight and no longer used. My landlord at my other shop had one but the bearing failed. I took one off a 1 ton Dodge which the box was still sloppy. I used this steering box while my Blue Top was rebuilt (bad shaft with a nick in it which kept damaging the seals).

Myself I've never used or needed a brace. I've never used over sized tires. I'm all stock sized (Early 2nd Gen). Where the problem comes in is over sized tires. The amount of force needed to steering the tires on the front axle takes quite a bit of force which pushes or pulls on the pitman arm. Hence why the output seal will fail. Since I'm technically undersized I upgrade to a "Quick Ratio" steering box and still don't the brace. 

• Blue Top Steering Box ((Quick Ratio)
  • No brace used in 426k miles. 
  • Stock steering box last 350k miles.
  • Running on 245/75 R16 tires (30.5 Inch)

So I'm not doubting what you're saying isn't true.

I run stock wheels and tires, no lift, everything seems fairly tight now (not much slop) for a second gen dodge??

Aligned to specs , maybe I'm just too picky or I'm used to driving a GM truck that really drives more like a luxury car than a truck?

I thought the reason for those brace's was for possible frame flex/twisting?

I guess if the bearing fails I might toss it and see if there's a difference?

I've been reading article after article about people fighting these junk front ends and really haven't come across any difinitive answers, I've been throwing parts and money at this thing since the day I bought it. (With some improvement) I'm sure I could easily spend another $1k in parts that may or may not help. My son's '99 is in worse shape than mine and he's been kinda doing the same thing.

Are you saying a blue top quick ratio steering box might be the answer to my problems? I'm having a hard time equating my current issue of wandering to left under accell to a steering box, although probably would be beneficial overall?

I really don't think my box is worn out, son's might be another story? His has a history of puking fluid, undiagnosed issue.

Thanks!

• Owner

Never had any suspension or steering issues. 

Now steering boxes can be mis-adjusted. I got mine from Blue Top and had just bit too much slop for my taste. Like Ryan told me there is no way to adjust a box on the bench and set sector adjustment perfect. He tends to be on the loose side. I added about 3/4 of a turn tighter and problem is gone. Tight box. After 350k miles my box was still tight and in excellent condition. Only needed at new input shaft because rust pitted the shaft caused the leak. 

Life continues on the repaired BLue Top... 426k.

• Staff
3 hours ago, dieseldon said:

I don't think I've come across that statement in a dodge forum before 😉

he drives so slow nothin' ever wears out. The whole town won't go anywhere when they see him out and about squeakin around town.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

he drives so slow nothin' ever wears out. The whole town won't go anywhere when they see him out and about squeakin around town.

🤔 Has anyone ever actually ever seen That maroon dodge on any public streets, or is it just sitting on jack stands running 'round the clock??

• Staff
17 minutes ago, dieseldon said:

🤔 Has anyone ever actually ever seen That maroon dodge on any public streets, or is it just sitting on jack stands running 'round the clock??

I’ve seen it twice. 

Once we met in Boise, and the other time I passed him as we were headed camping. It wasn’t too far from his house thou :lol:

20E0D7A9-86E5-40D6-ACBF-92396A1BE5CF.gif

Edited by AH64ID