• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Red Head Steering Box

• Staff

Just got a RedHead on last month. It is just the stock replacement, but it is very smooth very steady steering. It so good I think I could have the job of painting the road lines. No leaks either. Bad part was I had it installed so I had to redo his shet work from Holbrook. Been going there since 1981 and I will never...... ever....... never......again.

Edited by JAG1
  • Sad 1

• Owner

Blue Top I'm running is a upgrade since I went down from the 265's to the 245's I upgraded to the "Quick Ratio" box so she is snappy with steering. I've got a few final adjustments to make on my steering center the steering wheel and take just a tick out of the sector adjustment on the gears. She will be a rocketship on rails at that point. 

I've got a 2005 in the yard I'll be pulling the steering box as well and shipping to Ryan @Blue-Top Steering which happens to be one of our vendors here.

I just put in a order for a red head an hour ago.  I don't want to fight the crappy reman box I have on the 2400 mile trip I take this year.  I will return my current box back to the store for a refund and I scored another core for $50 on facebook marketplace.  When all is said and done, I should only be out about $230.    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Better yet im running Blue Top Steering.

Isn't that your second one now?

I am always amazed at all the gearbox problems that I see on the Cummins forums that I frequent.

My '91 D-250 (332k miles) original.....'01 2500 4x4 (356k miles)  one seal kit.....'74 Ford with '76 Dodge motorhome box ( no clue on miles) one seal kit.

If you keep the fluid flushed and clean, the hard parts just don't wear out. Seal kit from Napa is about $20.

• Owner
59 minutes ago, NIsaacs said:

Isn't that your second one now?

Because of a warranty issue. Found a nick in the output shaft causing damage to the seal. I sent it back to have the shaft replaced and new seal put in. Still the same box just repaired. I found the problem 2 years ago but with daily trip to Ontario I could down the truck back  then so I hang in and got it done this winter. So it only my second box since 425k miles and the same Blue Top box just replaced the shaft and seal.

Still doing better than most folks. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

Jus tryin to stay on topic  :lol:

Right when I'm thinkin most jokes are all played out Tractorman comes along and starts it all over again...... Thank you Tractorman :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Yes they share the same box. Just the only difference is either "Quick Ratio" or "Standard Ratio". 

It was in 2003 Dodge dropped the Sagnaw steering box for Ford steering box hence why the fluid is no longer power steering but ATF. It all Ford steering from 2003 up. No this is no better being I've got a 2005 in the yard jacked up on 35 inch tires and his steering box didn't even make 100k miles and leaking out both output shaft and input shaft both. I've got it mailed out  @Blue-Top Steering to be rebuilt.