• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

02 running in limp mode cant do more than 45 spitting and sputtering

my truck is throwing 4 different codes 1693 1689 0382 0380 and well the vp44 has around 420k miles on it so im thinking that its the pump but i figure i will get some insight first... i was just driving to work like normal and the thing i could feel was losing power and by the time it was ready to get off the hwy turbo was full blast and fuel to the floor and would only do 75 barely and i made it about another 3 miles and it almost shut down and threw those 4 codes and now she is just setting in the driveway....

380 and 382 are grid heater relay codes, do you have the grid heaters unhooked or taken out? The 1693 is nothing just says there are codes in the ecm/pcm the 1689 is a no communication code between the ecm and injection pump. I would check fuses connections grounds and clean them and clear the codes by unhooking the batteries for a few minutes if you don't have a code scanner. then start it and see what comes back.

ok what connections should i check and witch fuses should i check and if the problem still persists what should i do

--- Update to the previous post...

and yes i do have the grid heaters unhooked and removed i live in louisiana so i really dont need them

• Owner

Sorry to say Bob but the battery disconnect will not clear the codes... But it will clear the APPS sensor calibration...

As for the P1689 code...

Check the fuel pump relay in the PDC by swapping the relay with like the horn or something...

And you might check over the diagnostic page...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/vp44-replace/vp44-error.htm

Posted Image

yes i know that it wont clear the codes or anything like that but would a bad link cause power loss in small increments over like about a month till it just has no more power to do anything????? and does the pump having apox 420k miles on it have any effect on why all of this is happening????

The other possibility is to check the connector at the VP44 especially if you have had it off in the past. Be careful as there is a release that pulls out evenly (top and bottom) that releases plastic tabs on the pump. It is easy to damage the connector release if you force it. Ask me how I know (fortunately I had some very good ABS plastic epoxy). Perhaps just try wiggling gently first to see if things change. I kind of think the problem is in the pump as many say the solder on the VP44 circuit board deteriorates with heat and age having no lead in it. It is all surface mount technology so very difficult to repair without proper optical soldering tools. There is a little processor that is built in there that communicates CAN II protocol to the ECM (Cummins engine computer)via the cable that then provides the so called "companion codes" to the PCM (Dodge design computer) with the ODB II (code reader) connector. Three levels of processors to get some of those codes out. If I get 450,000 miles out of mine I would be very happy. I think the average is more like 130,000 miles.

honestly the best stuff i have used is 30w virgin motor oil in the fuel works great and keeps everything lubed up good

--- Update to the previous post...

and i have already tried the wiggle trick and it didnt work so i had to drive 30 miles from work to home with the pedal to the floor doin 45 it was great

• Owner

How about fuel pressure is the lift pump putting out enough fuel pressure at WOT? Is the fuel filter plugged up? Pick sock in the tank plugged up? As for the P1689 did you check the wiring for problems yet? But 420K miles on a VP44 is lived a very long happy life if it dies tomorrow I'd say you got you moneys worth from it.

Yes I have a fass 95gph and it's about 3 months old and the harness is fine cause I just replaced the crank sensor 2 weeks ago and everything ran fine I mean it fired right up and ran fine and the engine light went off and I still had excessive powerloss and the pump went out and put me in limp mode

• Owner

Bob... You giong to have to still test for fuel pressure and verify its not a sucking air leak (loss of pressure) or a restriction like the fuel sock in the tank plugged up (loss of pressure). As for the wiring I was actually hoping that your going to test from VP44 pins to ECM pins for resistance. This would rule out a corroded pin or wire which some here are still fighting wiring issues between the injection pump and ECM. Like a previous member was here with a 1690 code and did all the test and got frustrated with the code returning even though he changed the VP44 and the cam sensor... Come to find out it was a weak connector on both the ECM and Cam sensor so everytime the connector wiggled a bit from vibration the cam sensor leads would throw a pulse to the ECM at the wrong time hence tossing the P1690 code... So what I'm getting at is don't just dismiss everything right away as being OK double check yourself...