• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

What you linked should work for you, but if you plan to update to a 1/2" lines then the 3/8 fitting gets drilled out and replaced with different bulkhead, at least that's how mine is. If you're going to use your factory lines that go to your sending unit now that module will work fine.

Thanks, I have the fuel boss as you know, and all my lines now are 3/8". At this point I am not going to go to 1/2" lines, but could in the future..which isnt a huge deal to change out all the 3/8" hose at that time. I am looking for plug and play at this point to get it back running lol. 

18 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

The one I linked to doesn’t have a pump. It’s the version that doesn’t come with the in tank pump. Which is what I have now, my pump is still mounted on the block. Are you saying you have the in tank lift pump? 

I had the intank pump up until 9 years ago. Thats when I replaced it with an AD. I removed the pump and made a couple minor modifications to use it with the AD. It came with a kit for the mods. It is the same basket though.

post-10340-138698183186_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I get to do one of these too. The last 2002 I just got done installing a VP44 back into has the fuel gauge stuck at 5/8 of a tank but the tank was EMPTY. The owner ran it out of fuel and burned up the VP44

Dang!! Burned up the new VP by running it out of fuel, just once, or multiple times?? I ordered the one from Vulcan performance today. Do you know if yours came with the new float and the electronics for the float? 

Edit, called Vulcan, mine does come with new float/electronics, and a new tank seal as well. Had a quick moment of oh crap..I ordered the sending unit for the very reason of fixing my fuel gauge...I didnt see the float in the pictures, but maybe I just cant see it so well. 

Float.JPG

Edited by Red Rambler

• Owner
8 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

I think I’m gonna go this route as well, versus having to be up/down off the ground. I got an engine hoist that should work out pretty good. 

Just remember to pull all the taillight wiring. The ground strap on the front passenger side of the bed. Again thing bolted or screwed to the bed. 

Drain the fuel tank and dropping is faster. I can pull a fuel tank in under one hour and change the sender and install again. Just all I do is drain the tank. Now screwdriver and a hammer punch the collar loose. Then on screw the collar. Now the filler neck just remove the hose clamp and pull it loose. 2 nuts on the bands and boom she is down. Carefully remove the sender (unhook the lines and wiring). Just reverse this process and it done. Matter of fact I'll most likely be doing one later this spring.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just remember to pull all the taillight wiring. The ground strap on the front passenger side of the bed. Again thing bolted or screwed to the bed. 

Drain the fuel tank and dropping is faster. I can pull a fuel tank in under one hour and change the sender and install again. Just all I do is drain the tank. Now screwdriver and a hammer punch the collar loose. Then on screw the collar. Now the filler neck just remove the hose clamp and pull it loose. 2 nuts on the bands and boom she is down. Carefully remove the sender (unhook the lines and wiring). Just reverse this process and it done. Matter of fact I'll most likely be doing one later this spring.

Thanks sir, that's good insight. Few things to ponder for sure. My sending unit will be here Monday, so I got a few days to get the tank dropped or bed lifted. Gonna take my time regardless. 

7 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

Gonna take my time regardless. 

I you have the time take it, especially if its something you have never done before. This has served me well over the years when jumping into something new. Plus someone has to keep the cooler full beer too.:whistle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I you have the time take it, especially if its something you have never done before. This has served me well over the years when jumping into something new. Plus someone has to keep the cooler full beer too.:whistle:

correct, never replaced the sender on this truck before, not my first, but first on the Cummins. lol on the beer cooler, its been cold enough no cooler needed outside lately..just let them stay cold right where the case sits. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Red Rambler said:

correct, never replaced the sender on this truck before, not my first, but first on the Cummins. lol on the beer cooler, its been cold enough no cooler needed outside lately..just let them stay cold right where the case sits. 

free refrigeration.:thumbup2:

• Haha 2

• Staff
On 1/28/2021 at 5:05 PM, dripley said:

free refrigeration.:thumbup2:

@Dripley had a girlfriend like that way back in college..... all the kids in the neighborhood called her Aunt Artica. Sorry Man!:lol:

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 2

• Owner
20 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

Thanks sir, that's good insight. Few things to ponder for sure. My sending unit will be here Monday, so I got a few days to get the tank dropped or bed lifted. Gonna take my time regardless. 

Not a prob. The collar has to be loose n and removed before the tank comes down. The secret is if you do that the the sender stands up out of the tank as you lower the tank now you have good access to the fuel lines. The little squeeze tabs are usually in bad positions. This way the sender stands up and you have good access to remove the two fuel line. The sender had a plug in the top (inside). This is a bit tough to get out but not impossible. Then you disassemble the plug pull the pins out and replace the sender and reverse this. 

Good news. Truck has a full tank of fuel and drove 60ish miles and didn’t miss a lick. Gonna set my trip odometer and put a few more miles on it before saying it’s fixed, but I’m pretty certain. Still need to change out my fuel sender as well, but will burn some diesel first. Also need to pick up some 2 stroke oil as I didn’t realize I was completely out. 

• Like 1