• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Sounds like the new one is ether bad or something came lose inside up on install

I am wondering if a wire has maybe come loose. I haven’t moved the new unit or handled it much at all. It sit in my shed for a month or so. But it has to come back out at this point. Dang it! I should of checked it before install. That is on me. Hopefully just a loose connection. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Not to :hijack:...

Like myself I've just lost my fuel gauge as well. Mine I found my issue was the pin on the module had rotted away. I'm got a fuel sender basket coming from DAP. I gotta say thanks to both @JAG1 and @IBMobile for trying to help. I gave JAG1 a call and he passed it down the pipe to IBMobile. Funny I didn't know that RockAuto had the stock sender in stock. Which is part number 04897668AF (Mopar). After looking at it and what I order from DAP. Sad to say DAP was over 30 dollar saving vs. RockAuto. The DAP sender is a the modified with the draw straw as well. I can try the straw in the basket and the straw in the tank see which one is cooler and which one does better. Just cap the other straw.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not to :hijack:...

Like myself I've just lost my fuel gauge as well. Mine I found my issue was the pin on the module had rotted away. I'm got a fuel sender basket coming from DAP. I gotta say thanks to both @JAG1 and @IBMobile for trying to help. I gave JAG1 a call and he passed it down the pipe to IBMobile. Funny I didn't know that RockAuto had the stock sender in stock. Which is part number 04897668AF (Mopar). After looking at it and what I order from DAP. Sad to say DAP was over 30 dollar saving vs. RockAuto. The DAP sender is a the modified with the draw straw as well. I can try the straw in the basket and the straw in the tank see which one is cooler and which one does better. Just cap the other straw.

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Where on DAP's site did you find the fuel baskets? I didnt see any. The only place I found a replacement basket with NO liftpump in it, was Vulcan.

• Owner
1 minute ago, Red Rambler said:

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Where on DAP's site did you find the fuel baskets? I didnt see any. The only place I found a replacement basket with NO liftpump in it, was Vulcan.

Vulcan no longer produces the Jeep Liberty modules or deal with that older module style. 

Here is the DAP link...

https://www.dieselautopower.com/vpmax-mfm2-modified-fuel-module-98-04-with-draw-tube-installed?Category_Code=

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Vulcan no longer produces the Jeep Liberty modules or deal with that older module style. 

Here is the DAP link...

https://www.dieselautopower.com/vpmax-mfm2-modified-fuel-module-98-04-with-draw-tube-installed?Category_Code=

I ordered my sending unit from Vulcan roughly 2 months ago..I found the same sending unit on DAP, Vulcan brand that I need..It is $20 cheaper on the DAP site. I really dont want to buy another sending unit, but will call Vulcan to see what two pins they suggest probing for ohms on their sending unit before pulling it. Pretty sure I OHM tested all pins in every variation. But you never know. 

edit, per the DAP site: "Using an OHM meter connect leads to the two center pins on the plug. There should be an approximate 180-200 Ohm spread from low to high." 

I have done this step multiple times, so I am just going to quit fighting it and pull the dang sending unit again. SOB!!

If I was to go the route of just buying a new float/sender, would I have to calibrate it? Or would I be able to install it, check the range of ohms and ensure its the correct spread?

I am considering buying the below to install versus buying another $200 basket/float. 

2143396439_float7.JPG.19789a3697241da7d9a56f1f538bd26d.JPG

Edited by Red Rambler

1 hour ago, Red Rambler said:

I ordered my sending unit from Vulcan roughly 2 months ago..I found the same sending unit on DAP, Vulcan brand that I need..It is $20 cheaper on the DAP site. I really dont want to buy another sending unit, but will call Vulcan to see what two pins they suggest probing for ohms on their sending unit before pulling it. Pretty sure I OHM tested all pins in every variation. But you never know. 

edit, per the DAP site: "Using an OHM meter connect leads to the two center pins on the plug. There should be an approximate 180-200 Ohm spread from low to high." 

I have done this step multiple times, so I am just going to quit fighting it and pull the dang sending unit again. SOB!!

If I was to go the route of just buying a new float/sender, would I have to calibrate it? Or would I be able to install it, check the range of ohms and ensure its the correct spread?

I am considering buying the below to install versus buying another $200 basket/float. 

2143396439_float7.JPG.19789a3697241da7d9a56f1f538bd26d.JPG

I'm pretty sure you don't need to program anything as long as the ohm range is same or close.

Newer vehicles have too many modules that need to be programmed everytime you do anything, that's why I'm staying a way from them as long as I can. I did get a tdi vw 2013 and it was a pain to deal with just by putting in cp3 in there vs original cp4 they came with. I know this isn't apples to oranges comparison but still to do anything on that car you need vcds and bla, bla, bla everything is on micro switches that work off 5 volt reference and milliamps and so on. all I can say is good luck to everyone with new vehicles when they start to break. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm pretty sure you don't need to program anything as long as the ohm range is same or close.

Newer vehicles have too many modules that need to be programmed everytime you do anything, that's why I'm staying a way from them as long as I can. I did get a tdi vw 2013 and it was a pain to deal with just by putting in cp3 in there vs original cp4 they came with. I know this isn't apples to oranges comparison but still to do anything on that car you need vcds and bla, bla, bla everything is on micro switches that work off 5 volt reference and milliamps and so on. all I can say is good luck to everyone with new vehicles when they start to break. 

Thanks DF, I think I would rather gamble on a Mopar genuine part, the ebay part. Just not sure what basket to put it on lol, maybe the brand new basket...I concur on the newer cars, my wifes subaru is a pain..you have to pull the plastic inner fender liner to change the low beam headlight bulb, and spark plugs...cant hardly get to them at all and its a 4 cylinder...I am fighting it hard myself...would rather throw parts at my 20 YO truck any day of the week than to look at prices of a new truck, gas or diesel..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

Thanks DF, I think I would rather gamble on a Mopar genuine part, the ebay part. Just not sure what basket to put it on lol, maybe the brand new basket...I concur on the newer cars, my wifes subaru is a pain..you have to pull the plastic inner fender liner to change the low beam headlight bulb, and spark plugs...cant hardly get to them at all and its a 4 cylinder...I am fighting it hard myself...would rather throw parts at my 20 YO truck any day of the week than to look at prices of a new truck, gas or diesel..

Just be sure the oe part fits the aftermarket part.

I called and talked to Eric at vulcan, he said often they get damaged in shipping. So I am going to pull it, check wiring inside the sender and if all looks correct he said he would send me a new one. Thankful for that. Will likely get it pulled in the next few days. 

• Staff
11 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

Geno's Garage has one vulcan fuel basket left for 219.99 if you hurry you might get it. :thumb1:

48 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Geno's Garage has one vulcan fuel basket left for 219.99 if you hurry you might get it. :thumb1:

Thanks @JAG1, I am hoping if my current one is defective than Eric can help me out on a new one. I will likely send my new(broken) one back to him if he can reuse it. 

• Staff
3 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

Thanks @JAG1, I am hoping if my current one is defective than Eric can help me out on a new one. I will likely send my new(broken) one back to him if he can reuse it. 

yes I hope Eric has one for you, he is a great guy, met him several times buying injectors and lift pump/ big line kits for my two 'investment grade' second gen Cummins :thumb1:. They are great trucks just purr like my kitten only they do all the work and don't lay around all day.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, Eric is a great guy and sent me a new sending unit and I will be sending my old one back to him. Sending unit has been installed and I now have a fully functional fuel gauge..its the small things, truly. I was cruising to town the other day, had my tunes going, life was well..and I notice my new isspro boost gauge bouncing to the beat of the music, not literally, but close. Its electric, but I read online that a few people have had this issue, if daisy chaining the guages together that their boost gauge does similar to mine. So, they relocated the boost gauge to ground by itself, gonna try that. This feels like my ongoing truck issue thread..

• Like 1