• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternator quit...

• Owner

Two days ago my CHECK GAGES light came on and the volt gauge sunk to 8V. My USB plug showed 11.9 Volts yup it died. I got a new alternator and a day later it did it again. No error codes either. I checked my PCM protection fuse and sure enough the fuse fell out of the cover. I took a pair of pilers and squeezed the sockets closed again and it fixed. My alternator I've got now is a Bosch not a ND. Yeah make sure to check your fuse holder and be sure its not loose. It weird because mine is taped to the loom and not floppy around. 

• Thanks 1

• Staff

So the fuse vibrated out of the holder and caused all these issues? Something so simple. I have yet to put the PCM fuse inline on my truck. Would one with the cover offer a better grip or at least help to hold the fuse in its place?

Glad you got it sorted, was the first alternator actually bad (tested?) Or just replaced? 

• Owner
11 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

So the fuse vibrated out of the holder and caused all these issues?

Yup. 

I have yet to put the PCM fuse inline on my truck. Would one with the cover offer a better grip or at least help to hold the fuse in its place?

Mine has the rubber cover well but still vibrated into the cover and just laid there. So all I did was squeeze the terminals with a pair of pliers. 

was the first alternator actually bad (tested?) Or just replaced? 

Most likely still good but the rear of the ND alternator was really hot when it did start to charge I'm not sure about AC noise or diode issues yet. Being I need he truck for work I just replaced it than getting hung up with a alternator issue leaving me stuck in the back country. I'd really hate like heck to get to job and have the batteries be dead and walking back out. for miles. Heck its only 21*F here this morning. 

So yeah just replaced it...

• Thanks 1

@Mopar1973Man, I think you must have had an off day.  Even without the fuse modification in the circuit, I know you would have normally checked the field supply voltage to the alternator before condemning the alternator.     I hope the Bosch alternator works out for you.  I am still running the original Bosch alternator in my truck.

- John

1 hour ago, Tractorman said:

I am still running the original Bosch alternator in my truck.

- John

And if memory serves me correctly your grid heaters have been on a switch nearly the whole time too. I still say that's one of the nicest things a guy can do for his alternator, if longevity is a concern.

I simply put the ground to the the grid relays on a switch and ran it into the cab. You will get a code but no CEL. Code means nothing to me since PA has no diesel emissions yet. If done like in the article you won't get the code. Choice is yours.

@dave110, you are correct.  I added my own momentary grid heater switch in the cab when my truck was new so I could be the boss of the grid heaters.  Just the other morning it was 11° outside.   I operated the grid heaters for about 15 to 20 seconds and started the engine - no post cycling to tax the alternator, so the batteries quickly recharged.  No need to use the grid heaters for the rest of the day.  A very inexpensive modification with great results - a win win situation.  I am sure that the mod has added life to the alternator.

- John

• Like 3

• Owner
13 hours ago, Tractorman said:

@Mopar1973Man, I think you must have had an off day.  Even without the fuse modification in the circuit, I know you would have normally checked the field supply voltage to the alternator before condemning the alternator.     I hope the Bosch alternator works out for you.  I am still running the original Bosch alternator in my truck.

- John

Very true. Work around here has been endless. It was very much an off day.