• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey guys. I’m trying to get high idle going in my 2000 5.9. I have the moparman switch but I have to get it enabled. I took it to the dealership to get it done and $180 later it didn’t work. I’m from Canada so I can’t rent an s03 from dap. Any of you guys in Canada have an s03 you’re willing to rent to me or even you guys in the US?  Or have a software number I can tell the dealer to install ? Thanks in advance, I’m in quite the Perdicament here

• Owner

Dealer for what ever reason can't seem to read the TSB and make up plenty of reason why it can't be done or don't do it right. 

Fact: Any Smarty S-03 can update the high idle bit to enable from 98.5 to 2002 for sure. This means any 98.5 to 2002 can be enabled with DRBIII tool at a dealer. Just most tech don't know how to do it still even with the TSB document in their face. Sad but true...

• Staff

I recently checked at a local dealer, gave them the TSB number. She looked it up and consulted with the manager. They said they will charge 1/2 hour labor which is $60 to do it. Didn't mean they know what they're doing though. I'd like to get it done before next winter. Probably when the temps start to drop. 

• Owner
22 hours ago, LorenS said:

Perhaps a silly question, does the high idle ever enable due to extended idling when it's warm?  Such as for A/C purposes.  Reading through the TSB it seems it would not.

To arm the high idle on the Cummins ECM. For the high idle to come on you must meet those two requirements. Typically takes about 2 minutes tops to arm the high idle.

• Coolant temperature MUST be below 140*F at startup.
  • IAT temperature must be below 26*F or 13*F with grid heater operating.

Now for Cancelling...

• Speed greater than 0 MPH.
  • TPS greater than 0% throttle.
  • Coolant over 170*F.
  • Brake pedal pressed.
  • Auto Trans not in park or neutral.

So it will never automatically arm on extended idle or while the engine is fully warmed. Lets say I've only seen the high idle arm once this entire winter and only 6 cylinder mode. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

3 hours ago, Sycostang67 said:

When the dealer did mine I had to go back because it wasn't working

I hate dealers with passion, they can't seem to do anything right. Not sure if they ever helped me in any way other then sell me overpriced parts when I couldn't get them anywhere else, not taking about dodge, pretty much all of them. I feel that I need to open a shop, and help people along with making good leaving. If they can do it I think I can too. Been debating this idea for a while, I did very well in past but now everything is going computerized and over engineered. Just had someone call me asking to work on their volkswagen tiguan because dealer quoted them $7000 after looking at it I estimated $500 in parts and probably half a day of work, how do they not get sued on daily basis for ripping people off. 

It turns out the guys at Diesel Auto Power are some outstanding gentlemen. Even though I live in Manitoba Canada they have shipped a smarty S03 out to me. It should be here by this weekend and so should the high idle switch, I’ll get that installed so I can verify high idle works before sending the smarty back. Do you guys know if I can adjust my tire size with the smarty S03?

• Owner

No. Because as soon as you reset back to stock tune the setting is erased from the ABS computer. The only thing you get to keep is high idle. All other setting like speedo, tune etc is lost when returned back to stock. 

You be better off going to the dealer and having the ABS flashed once for shop hour and be done.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Because as soon as you reset back to stock tune the setting is erased from the ABS computer. The only thing you get to keep is high idle. All other setting like speedo, tune etc is lost when returned back to stock. 

You be better off going to the dealer and having the ABS flashed once for shop hour and be done.

Come to think of it I have a plug and play superchip that I can adjust tire size with. Would it be healthy for the truck if I put a little tow tune on the truck with the superchip just so I can adjust the tire size while also running quadzilla comp tunes or would that be too much tuning?

3 hours ago, White wondee said:

Would it be healthy for the truck if I put a little tow tune on the truck with the superchip just so I can adjust the tire size while also running quadzilla comp tunes or would that be too much tuning?

I would not stack quad with anything else, sounds like you're still using older version too, update it to v2 software, it'll give you way more control.

• Owner

6 CYL Mode requires the coolant <140*F and the IAT <32*F with grid heaters actively heating.  Typically close to 25*F outside.

3 CYL Mode requires the coolant <140*F and the IAT <15*F with grid heaters actively heating.  Typically close to +5*F outside.

Quadzilla anything below your set "Warm up" temp will lock the tuner to level 0. Then waits the delay and then starts 1,200 High idle. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Have the same problem, went to the dealership, got charged to enable. Still does not ramp up to fast idle or 3 cyl idle. Read the TSB and the only thing I see that might be an issue is number 3

1. Intake Manifold Temperature less than 0°C (32°F) and,
2. Coolant Temp is less than 60°C (140°F) and,
3. The Transmission is in Neutral or Park and,
4. The Service Brake pedal is not depressed and,
5. Throttle = 0% and,
6. Vehicle Speed = 0 mph

Could this be an issue with the NV4500? Looking for answers, since the temp here is not going to get above zero until maybe Monday.

Mark