• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM # 4

Well the Ram just ate another ECM. Must be high in protein.

The first ECM went with around 3500 miles from new in 2000 when I bought it. The dealer replaced it & never said what happened. 

The second ECM went wild & through just about every code you could list. I think this was in 2008. Not repairable at the time.

The 3rd ECM got replaced with a used one from a 98.5. I got the used ECM & PCM together from a guy in Montana. They would not work in my truck together, So I tried just his ECM & my PCM & the marriage was formed. That work fine up to about 2 years ago. Then the WTS light, fuel pump & grids started doing their thing. Then recently doing the WOT at start up & making me wait for 10 mins. before it got it's head together. So now that one is at the ECM Dr. getting repaired. I hope this is the last time around. Just can't seem to get this new engine broke in at this rate.

Better days ahead.....I hope

The basic grounds were done back in 08 as one of the suggestion from the one & only Harry Piers. We at first thought it was the tone ring that came loose. There were a lot of suggestions flying around. Never thought it could be the ECM. Even tried a different injection pump to cover all bases plus crank sensor, cam sensor. Dodge dealer made a few hundred dollars too, testing everything electrical. Dodge said straight up it was not the ECM. Finally after going broke hunting, I tried the ECM & won the battle. 

The rest of the W-T grounding & inline breaker was done last year when I had the engine out. AC noise is well in check also.

34 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

^^^ that and see if you can get 2001-2002 ECM and have it programed to your truck. Last versions of ECM were better made, what I'm told. 

I agree, but try & find one. Grand master MR. B Wagner also suggested that. This is why I went the repair route. 

21 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Hopefully the ECM Dr. Can figure out what's wrong and fix it or if an outside issue at least point you in the right direction.

No outside issue, just bad luck. There is nothing else wrong, that's why I just kept running it the last couple of years, as I knew it was the ECM. The WOT at startup is what made my backside pucker. I have not been told it can be repaired yet. Just got it to ECM DR. last week.

Got the good & bad on the ECM today. Good is it can be rebuilt, bad is, can't get the parts to rebuild it. I have had enough.

I ordered a 3947912 for a 2002 & getting programed for a 2000. Thank you ACS. End of story.....

Until I get it installed.  

That's why I went with 3947912. Hopefully I never have this trouble again  ACS had no problem doing this & with a lifetime warranty to boot! 

So when I get the other ECM rebuilt, I will sell it & recoup some losses.

Just bare in mind that some lifetime warranties are good for the product and not something else that may have fried it. So if your truck is producing high AC voltage and it fries the ECM they have an out on the warrantee; As a comparison, contaminated fuel will void a VP44 warranty. And for the most part the manufacturer is in charge of saying what caused the failure.

I am not even worried about electrical. Last time I checked was .035. I have a little 1200 watt stereo with a 12" sub & I have never even seen the lights flicker. Trans doesn't hunt & my headlights are on relays, so I get 12 volts to them. So everything is good in that department. I just have had bad luck, not like the person in Idaho who won 500 thou.

So yes, the warranty is only good for what it does, nothing else. 

On 1/31/2021 at 7:51 PM, Dieselfuture said:

^^^ that and see if you can get 2001-2002 ECM and have it programed to your truck. Last versions of ECM were better made, what I'm told. 

Can any of these ECMs be programmed to your specific truck?

I kept a spare ECM from a 2001 Ram 2500 H.O. 6 speed. The Cummins ID numbers are the same as my ECM. But when I installed on my truck to make sure it worked I no oil pressure gauge or temp gauge, but the engine ran and drove fine. Just threw the CELs of course.

On 2/6/2021 at 3:35 AM, jag said:

Got the good & bad on the ECM today. Good is it can be rebuilt, bad is, can't get the parts to rebuild it. I have had enough.

I ordered a 3947912 for a 2002 & getting programed for a 2000. Thank you ACS. End of story.....

Until I get it installed.  

My ECM with 3947912 went bad. Had ACS fix it, but had to send it back once. Been good so far but I don't drive the truck much.