• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need help with codes and "no bus" HELP PLEASE!!

This truck has been at a garage for 4 months, its been torn apart, scattered and ignored, you get the idea. The garage said they couldn't get the codes and they didnt know what was wrong with it, I finally got it home and kinda got it togeather. When I took it to the carage it would idle, but not much more, now it wont even start...... Last night I finally got the codes off my truck, there are 12 of them as follows: P0121- tps voltage does not agree with map P0122- throttle pos sens volt low P0243- turbo boost limit exceeded P0236- map sensor too high too long P0351- fuel inj pump fuel valve feedback circ P0252- fuel inj pump fuel valve stuck P0253- fuel inj pump fuel valve open circ P0380- glow plug circuit perf P0382- intake air heater relay no2 ctrl circ P1688- Internal fuel inj pump cont failure P1689- no comm between ecm and inj pump mod P1698- no ccd/j1850 msg from tcm/pcm ( I got the DTC codes from edgeproducts.com) Id hazzad a guess that my VP44 is toast, but today I changed the battery cuz the one was dead, and I figured I'd clear the codes and read them again, just for fun....Any way my OBD2 now says "Link Error" and my odometer is saying "no bus" If I turn the key on just enought for the trouble lights to come on they will all come on, then they all go out, then the odometer flashes 4X and the odometer reads "no bus" then the check engine light comes on. I checked that one big plug in the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side and the bolt in it wont tighten down all the way, almost like its stipped out, and it has a little bit of play in the plug, but not a ton. I also found what I think is a ground wire, its black and comes kinda off of the lip of the cowl more towards the passanger side of the truck, but im not sure where the other end should attach, it looks like it should go to the one bolt on the pcm but im not sure. The lift pump cycles, im getting fuel to the injector pump and up to the injectors, the motor will turn over good but, but hasnt started. Any help at all, any suggestions, esp how to get rid of the "no bus" code would be really appreciated, at least with the no bus code gone I could read the OBD codes.

• Owner

P0121- Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS) Signal Voltage Too Low APPS voltage input below the minimum acceptable voltage.

APPS Sensor failure - Replacement required.

P0122- Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS) Signal Voltage Too Low APPS voltage input below the minimum acceptable voltage.

APPS Sensor failure - Replacement required.

P0234- Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate.

Wastegate rusted shut - Inspect the wastegate.

P0236- Map Sensor Too High Too Long Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate.

Unhook you Edge Juice and take for a test drive if the code stay cleared then the Edge juice module had failed. If the code comes back the MAP sensor failed.

P0251- Fuel Inj. Pump Mech. Failure Fuel Valve Feedback Circuit Problem sensed with fuel circuit internal to fuel injection pump.

P0252- fuel inj pump fuel valve stuck

P0253- Fuel Injection Pump Fuel Valve Open Circuit Problem sensed with fuel circuit internal to fuel injection

pump.

Injection pump failure.

P0380- Intake Air Heater Relay #1 Control Circuit Problem detected in #1 air heater solenoid/relay circuit (not heater element)

P0382- Intake Air Heater Relay #2 Control Circuit Problem detected in #2 air heater solenoid/relay circuit (not heater element)

Grid Heater solenoids are disconnected or failed.

P1688- Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure Internal problem within the fuel injection pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.

VP44 Electronics have failed.

P1689- No Communication Between ECM and Injection Pump Module Data link circuit failure between ECM and fuel injection pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.

This is most likely caused by the P1688 code.

P1698- No CCD Messages received from PCM Bus communication failure to PCM. A Companion DTC was set in both the ECM and PCM.

Now this is most likely a wiring issue under the hood check all the connectors and grounds.

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/ccd/ccd.htm

Posted Image

• Like 1

So I defenatelly need an apps sensor and a vp44? I dont know what or where my "edge juice" is or where my map sensor is. And the wiring problem u sent me the diagram for is the reason I hav the "no bus" code? Im kinda new to this, give me on old '65 or '78 and I know what im doing, this diesel is very confusing to me. I appreciate the help

• Owner

So I defenatelly need an apps sensor and a vp44?

Yeap... The VP44 is shot for sure with that list of codes... The APPS sensor is gone too...

I dont know what or where my "edge juice" is or where my map sensor is.

My bad on the Edge juice I assumed you had a Edge box of some sort since you got the error codes from there... But the MAP sensor is located here...

Rear of the fuel filter...

Posted Image

#7 is the MAP sensor...

Posted Image

And the wiring problem u sent me the diagram for is the reason I hav the "no bus" code?

Yeap that is the wiring diagram of the CCD network bus and all the thing it connects to. Typically its a loose or bad connector.

Im kinda new to this, give me on old '65 or '78 and I know what im doing, this diesel is very confusing to me.

I appreciate the help

Hang in there I'm willing to teach want you need to know to fix your beast it just going to take a bit of time... :thumbup2:

• Like 1

Well I guess I need the VP44. Can you tell me someone who is honest, and reliable to get one from? Should I by new, or rebuilt? Is it really a good idea to change the lift pump and put on a low pressure alarm-gauge- on since im putting on another VP on, and should I buy a lift pump that has little more pressure then stock? The other parts, like the apps and the map sensor I should be able to get at any parts store, right? And this is going to sound really stupid, but wheres the wastegate? This is the first diesel ive worked on, it may never run again. Im really thankful for your help!

Look here for the best price on apps that seem to hold up better than oem. Several members on the site use these apps including myself and Mike. http://www.dodgecumminsapps.com/ There arent anymore new vp44's but Jkidd has some good deals on reman vp44 and airdog/raptor or fass fuel pumps. If you put a stock lift pump back on it you might be going through this sooner than later. http://www.dieselautopower.com/product_p/vp44%20combo.htm I would also add a set of gauges to the list not just a low pressure light. You need egt, boost and fuel pressure, you can also add a tranny temp gauge for automatic transmissions. I like my di pricol gauges but they are hard to find right now for some reason so my next choice would be isspro. Sorry all this hit you at one time but it should run like a scaulded dog when you get these parts replaced.

• Like 1

Just out of curisioty, could any of these codes be comming up because the guys at the garage had all the computers off the truck, and the truck hasnt been run long enough to clear the codes, altho right now it wont run at all. For example could just the apps be bad and its making the vp44 codes come up also? Sorry I think Im just grabbing at straws here, but man i just dont want to shell out all that cash for the vp44. And I also didnt have any problems with the truck before, no bucking stalling, no nuthing, then all the sudden it just went to, I guess what everyone calls a dead pedal, where it just quit giving me any power and it just sat there and idled kinda bad, but didnt do anything else, i guess i thought id get some kind of warning that the vp was going bad. I really do wanna thank you guys for all your help, espcially answering all my stupid qustions.

Just out of curisioty, could any of these codes be comming up because the guys at the garage had all the computers off the truck, and the truck hasnt been run long enough to clear the codes, altho right now it wont run at all. For example could just the apps be bad and its making the vp44 codes come up also? Sorry I think Im just grabbing at straws here, but man i just dont want to shell out all that cash for the vp44. And I also didnt have any problems with the truck before, no bucking stalling, no nuthing, then all the sudden it just went to, I guess what everyone calls a dead pedal, where it just quit giving me any power and it just sat there and idled kinda bad, but didnt do anything else, i guess i thought id get some kind of warning that the vp was going bad. I really do wanna thank you guys for all your help, espcially answering all my stupid qustions.

if you had the key on, then yes some codes like :P1689, P1698 i know for sure would be there. you need to clear the codes, drive around the block and check again. if all looks fine i would still check 2 more time within a week
  • Like 1

• Owner

As for APPS sensor to cause another failure with the VP44 it just won't happen... (Sorry) Well the thing is you could reset the error codes and try to prime the fuel system up and start it but if the codes return or the pump won't pump fuel (should look like a power washer going off under the hood) then the VP44 is shot sad to say...
  • Like 1

This sucks. Why did the truck go to this butcher shop in the first place? What was wrong? Just wouldn't go above idle? That would probably be the vp44 failed. VP44 is about 1000. Place called midwest fuel injection, www.thedieselstore.com is where every online vendor gets their pumps from, they rebuild them there. Get it from them and avoid the middle man. Apps is about 160. Do a google for a guy named TIMBO and APPS. What exactly did the shop do to the truck? Inspect all your wiring too look for cut wires. Look on the side of the engine and see if there is a computer module still there and if it is plugged in. Then look around for sensors and stuff that might be unplugged.
  • Like 1

I had the same thing happen to me after I replaced the passenger side battery. It was running and starting just fine until I replaced the battery and then after I got the CCD display overhead and No Bus in the odometer and wouldn't start and also got several codes. After thinking I fried the computer, I looked all of my wires over real well. There are 2 small ground wires in addition to the large ground cable coming out of the terminal. One of the ground wires came out and when I reconnected it, it started right up. No sure if it will help yours, but might save you some time and trouble.

• Like 1

Dont ask why it went to the "butcher shop", I guess I thought it would be an easy diag, and fix for them, they supposedly know diesels. I wont trash who they are just cuz thats not who I am, n im sure they do great work for other people. Anyway, I got to poking around and a found a few grounds off, and fixed them and dont ask how but the "no bus" went away, hopefully for good.....I got my OBD back on the truck and cleared all the codes. I am able to get the truck to turn over, but it stilll wont start, and only 2 of the 12 codes that came back are 253, and 1688. So, Im gonna get a vp44 and a lift pump and stuff and hopefully that will get it running again. Im sure Ill get some of the other codes back, after the truck runs for a while, but for now im just happy Im finally headed in one direction. Thanks all of you and Ill keep you informed on how it goes!!