• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Winter blues

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I've been studying the local area for camping spots. I've found several that you can work with in the early spring and even late winter if you RV is up to the task of cold weather. Being I live on a highway that run north and south, as the high runs north toward Whitebird you going down to about 1,200 above sea level. You can find places below the snow line to camp out. Have to be care on your choice being some large areas might have limit sunshine and be very cold in the early morning hours. 

We have already though about hitching up and heading towards the north in the lower section of the canyon for camping but then the snow came, still coming and it would be just a bad idea now. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Right now the temperature dropped so low its not going to happen with my RV. If it would hover in the 40's I could get away with camping. I lost a big chunk of the under belly panel on my last Arizona trip. Wind tore it off. Just my kitchen grey tank cover. In design it was suppose to be heated holding tanks using the furnace blowing small amounts of air in the enclosed spaces. I need to jack this thing up and pull the remaining cover and measure and get a new piece for the tanks.

• Staff
23 hours ago, Threadzy said:

We’re anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours from nice spots. The coast, foothills or the mountains. 

That's one of the last good things about living in CA; camp year round.  Last weeks camp trip to Haystack Mountain, at an elevation of 3700',  the highs were 58°-65° during the day with the night temps between 31°-36°.   My next trip will be to the Bridgeport, CA area in May, that's where @JAG1comes down from Oregon and joins us. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

That's one of the last good things about living in CA; camp year round.  Last weeks camp trip to Haystack Mountain, at an elevation of 3700',  the highs were 58°-65° during the day with the night temps between 31°-36°.   My next trip will be to the Bridgeport, CA area in May, that's where @JAG1comes down from Oregon and joins us. 

You got that right! Bridgeport. My buddy goes there every year. I went once with him. Beautiful area with the two lakes. We didn’t camp. We stayed in a hotel. Would like to camp there eventually. Oceano state park is a nice spot as well. Clean area. No homeless squatting causing a scene at night with police having to show up. Happened once to us at the Pismo state park.  Haven’t been back since. Trees all around and a nice trail to the ocean. Plus your reservation allows you to drive onto the beach. We love driving  out there before sun set with a pizza and have a fire. 

• Staff

We’ve had our camper out 3x so far this year, plenty of cold and snow. Low of 6° and 6-8” fresh on one trip for ski camping. 

A true 4 season camper is a great thing for Idaho winter camping... I guess one weekend was in Oregon thou 🤣, and was cold enough the river iced over. 

6965E31B-E196-434F-AEFD-C48CB6CFFC4F.jpeg

355DD4E7-D4FC-4BB0-95DA-EE426245049B.jpeg

0EF4353C-A11B-4D14-A3E0-102F5871CF90.jpeg

BAE1953F-326D-4981-B454-42CEB2D7F11F.jpeg

9843EFC6-ED45-478C-A885-664AF57CE9E9.jpeg

30034262-3D3D-446A-9732-ED330963E081.jpeg

• Like 4

• Owner

I'm unlucky because my water line are outside the house to clear the slide. Mine will not tolerate any temperature below 30*F. I will freeze the water lines. After last summer wind storm that pull the belly off my kitchen tank cover I've got a few repairs to make.

Now my old 1977 Dodge Jamboree I done plenty of camping all the way down to zero. The water tank was one of the benches at the table all the plumbing was inside the house. That one I did a trip down to -10*F and never had a problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

I can't wait to get going camping again. It's a good time to go being it's not crowded and a great place for any activity. World class hiking is how it's written up about the area. I am glad I started going there when young enough to get up in some high country. It's really beautiful there. Now my legs and hips may not let me get so far up to the high meadow again. Amazing place.

One great thing..... riding my mtn. bike doesn't bother me if not a strenious hard ride.

Edited by JAG1