• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another iquad issue

So I was out fiddling with the quad yesterday and set to level zero, my idle shot up to a little over 1200, basically high idle mode and instantly set off engine light. Truck was already up to temp.

I could toggle back and forth and everytime I got to zero idle would shoot up, above zero it would go back down.

Code was 0500, 1693 (ABS code?)

Something similar happened a few months ago with that code and quad and me78569 promptly jumped in and assured me that was impossible! Well I'm here to tell you it is!

I thought it worked itself out with that code awhile back, but here it is again and I'm sure it's iquad related.

Even made sure to turn off high idle on quad and idle still jumped up on lvl. zero.

I've been using quad warm-up, high idle mode lately without issue.

Besides resetting and never using level zero again, any ideas??

Thanks!

• Owner
22 hours ago, dieseldon said:

Code was 0500, 1693 (ABS code?)

Read you codes with OBDII coder reader. P0500 is just speed sensor performance (rear axle). P1693 is a companion module code (flag). ABS does not report any codes on the OBDII plug unless you have the DRBIII tool or similar. 

22 hours ago, dieseldon said:

Even made sure to turn off high idle on quad and idle still jumped up on lvl. zero.

Typically you should be able to then OFF the Warm Up mode then Turn OFF the High idle Delay. Then Level zero is just stock. You should really need level zero only for warm up. I typically level mine stat for Level 2 or 3. Now my warm up mode is set for 140*F. Then my delay is 30 seconds. After the coolant reaches 140 the Quadzilla flips from level ZERO to Levle 2 or 3 which I have set. 

You can see exactly how to disable the high idle here. Warm Up mode is switched off. High idle delay is switched OFF. Now select a power level other than ZERO. High idle will not start ever. Now if you have the Cummins ECM high idle enabled it will start regardless of what you set on the Quadzilla.

Screenshot_20210221-082420_iQuad.jpg

I've got both systems.

• Cummins ECM High Idle
  • Quadzilla High Idle

Now the ECM high idle there is no way to stop it from starting. It's triggered by the ECT and IAT temperatures. ECT has to be below !40*F and IAT has to be below 32*F with the grid heater ON! Then the Cummins ECM will start 6 cylinder high idle. If the IAT falls to below +15*F it will switch over to 3 cylinder node high idle which warms up much faster. Faster than Quadzilla can.

Thanks for responding, I typically leave mine set to 140* level 2-3 also, the only reason I toggeled to zero is I was going out to see if I could get my cruise timing figured out again for MPG economy tune and just wanted to drive stock to eliminate quad from equation for baseline.

So, truck is parked, was warmed up, already went threw warm-up, high   mode, (160*?) and was idleing normal, I toggle to zero, my idle shoots up and lamp comes on, toggle back to level 2 and idle goes back down, I go into settings and turn off high idle, toggle back to zero, high idle returns..... strange??

Even if it had nothing to do with idle function, which it seemed to, can't understand why toggling to zero would set off any light? Especially one that would seem to have nothing to do with the quad, but this is beyond any coinsidence.

In my mind, probably something stupid on my end because I don't fully understand all this custom tuning - quad in general but how could this not be some kind of quad glitch?

Thanks for trying to help!

Very odd, I go out and pull ECM fuses to clear lamp, start and warm-up, everything seems good.

I toggle to zero and no high idle, no CEL.

Now I turn off and on and try again, now  idle shoots up on zero but no CEL.

Do this several times and like every other time it doesn't go up.

At least the annoying light isn't on!

Not sure if I should be concerned or just never use zero?

I'm assuming it's not normal for idle to go up under any circumstances once engine is warm.

Is it just me or does this thing seem glitchy?

Thanks again for any ideas.

• Owner

Take notice the two switch for High idle Delay and the Warmup Mode are both set to OFF!

Screenshot_20210222-064354_iQuad.jpg

Just toggle the switch OFF on both the High idle delay and the Warm Up mode to OFF. Then set your power level to something NOT level ZERO. The only time it can change the level is is the warm up mode is ON. Now at start up time if the engine is BELOW your set temperature like you see 140°F on my display so it would then set level ZERO and then start the timer and count till it reaches high idle delay setting time 30 second elapse then the high will be enabled at that time. 

For high idle to pop instantly after selecting ZERO level tells me the delay setting is set for ZERO seconds and instantly turning on. The other one is being you have the warm up mode still on then the high idle will come on any time you select level ZERO. Even with my setup I can turn back on both. 

Take close attention now both are back on. No need to mess with the values of both the setting just toggle them ON or OFF.

Screenshot_20210222-064934_iQuad.jpg

Now set up this way with both on. Now if I select level ZERO I got high idle after selecting power level ZERO. I can ramp up the engine speed for jump starting, keeping the cab warm while sitting still long lights or waits. This is normal operation.

Thanks, I had to read that 3 or 4 times before it finally sank in LOL.

I think I understand what you're saying, we can have high idle on demand whenever wanted, or not wanted in my case, did I miss that in

"Instructions", or just a inside trick?

I think that was the first time I actually ever toggled to zero?

I guess the only other thing that threw me for a loop was when it threw that code the exact same time it went to zero/ high idle mode... Bazar!

Thanks again!

• Owner
37 minutes ago, dieseldon said:

we can have high idle on demand whenever wanted, or not wanted in my case, did I miss that in

"Instructions", or just a inside trick?

Again just turn off the feature. Then just don't use level ZERO. High idle can only be started in level ZERO. Shown in above post! 

38 minutes ago, dieseldon said:

I think that was the first time I actually ever toggled to zero?

Delay set high 60 seconds. Then set the Warmup mode low like 140*F. Then do not use level ZERO again it the mode required to start high idle. 

Me... There is nothing on level ZERO its stock ECM and no timing or fuel maps. Use level 2 or 3 at least then your at least running timing on a stock map fuel (lvl 2), or CANBus enhanced fuel (lvl 3)

Again, thanks I got it, it's just that toggling to zero when it was warmed up an having high idle turn on took me by surprise, I didn't know that was a thing, along with the check engine light that's still a mystery, they seem to be connected somehow.

My delay was already set to 30sec.

I wanted to run stock to see if my cruise timing was any different without quad, then this whole thing sent me into a tail spin.

• Owner

As long as your moving the high idle will not start. I mean with your foot on the throttle. Once you stop and idle foe 30 second it will start.

As for comparing to stock is meaningless. Being most of us are not running stock injectors. So now you have to base it on engine load values on flat ground at speed. If you go the wrong way (advanced or retard) is will increase engine load. When you find the happy spot it will be the lowest cruise engine load.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I think I ment to say load also, wanted to see the difference on those parameters.

trying to get this suck a.. mpg thing figured out and want to see if quad is actually making a difference in load.

Too bad a instant mpg guage couldn't have been built-in would make life so much easier.

• Owner
1 hour ago, dieseldon said:

Too bad a instant mpg guage couldn't have been built-in would make life so much easier.

No need just watch the engine load number. Engine load is the same as the fuel commanded number.

Fuel commanded is from 0 to 4095

Engine load is from 0 to 100%

Lower the number displayed the LESS fuel being injected. 

So the you can't change the load with quad, just adjust quad to load?

It's hard to find a flat mile around here plus head winds and all lol!

Here's a screenshot of mine going down the road, best I could tell was cruise state, ( not sure how to tell) cruise control on, steady as possible, easier said than done, when I see people talking about going in and out of cruise, that means changing rpm's and??

IMG_20210219_202634_copy_1500x2000_2.jpg.9291b4e3c9d52d373c2d3ccdb0f845e7.jpg

Here's what I have it set at.

See anything obvious to change?

Thanks!

IMG_1.jpg.cd5078d57aa14ff3eee596e592c69413.jpgIMG_2.jpg.fd6c874fd1c0d90e420ffd34bfc13b12.jpgIMG_3.jpg.1758d05e90e2cafd77dff1606893cb4d.jpgIMG_4.jpg.ed85de66078718a180662ff33281df2b.jpgIMG_5.jpg.abc81738a70abf1c31ad4a9788ab6c44.jpg

I'm assuming that check engine light is just one of those things we'll never know?

2 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

My quad has instant mpg, it's called eco in the app

I've seen that, a little confusing, and this is not my daily driver, I've probably not gone through a tank of fuel all winter, I might drive it more if I could get more than 12- 14mpg

26 minutes ago, dieseldon said:

So the you can't change the load with quad, just adjust quad to load?

Quad doesn't adjust load, it shows you the load on the engine, like Mike said load is how much fuel your injecting it given moment of time. More load worst mpg, to reduce load you can play with canbus fuel and timing. Also drag on the truck plays a role. Looking at the first picture where you have low egts, engine load off 22 and timing off 19.5 seems reasonable for winter tune. Although 22 is a touch high for good mpg, 16-18 would be much better. My light throttle load limit is set at 23 meaning if I'm above that load on the engine then my timing drops down from cruise state. 

What level do you drive around on, I've been using level 3 forever it does everything I need.