• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Custom Tuning for the Quad

Bought new in 1998, been tweaking ever since. Engine rebuilt for it's 20th birthday in November 2019. Dyno runs with a Smarty/TST stack June 2020, with 596hp/1150tq. Been lurking and have multiple pages of notes from this site and others, have done several tunes. 

I'm an ex-sportscar racer and we would do practice runs the 1st day, email every run to our Motec guy, and would re-load before every session to dial in the cars. Decided that was what I was after for my truck, and found TJ at OneBadVP44Performance.  Flew him in, spent 2 hours on the dyno. His initial tune from my build sheet was 12 hp off what got for max. 683hp/1311tq.

The way I saw this was I've spent hella money on this truck- why not have a professional dial it in? Certainly nothing against anyone who is doing it all themselves- but along the way I realized someone else could do this safer and better.

• Like 2

Thanks- 

Before this I thought the Colt cam was the biggest jump in performance/clean exhaust.

This truck barely smokes with power at 4 or 5 (of 7). That was a big discussion before tuning- the stack just smoked too much. 

The Superstick with the synchros( a necessity) and coolers (?) shifts much quicker. I believe 1st is the same and 5th is same as 6th in the 5600, so there is another gear in there and the rpm drop is noticeably less, which helps to keep the turbos spooled up.  
I’m about 1000 miles in, so maybe a little more break-in to be had. Does not shift as precisely as I had hoped, but much better as miles have added up. 
I question whether it was worth the money to replace a 4500 that was solid, but a little happier every day now. I was happier with the Phoenix Friction clutch (feramalloy) and appears that the Valair dual quiet disc is still bedding in. Shudders when downshifting, and I always heel-to-toe which should make that smoother.

5 speed to 6 speed, 1st same on both, 2nd, 3rd and 4th on the 6 speed cover 3rd and 4th on the 5 speed, then 5th on the 5 speed is almost the same as 6th on the 6 speed. My current 5600 has 340k on it and needs to be refreshed. Pretty sure all is well with the hard parts. Heard good things about Cody and his 5600 rebuilds. Just wish he was closer.