• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injectors

Hello guys,

I recently purchased a 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 5spd to pull my equipment. My equipment weighs roughly 15k plus my 25ft dual tandem axle trailer. The guy that had the truck installed a 62mm turbo, 125hp injectors and adrenaline tuner. On level 3, the truck black smokes so bad that I can’t even see my equipment and don’t really build much boost until about 2k rpm. Took it to my mechanic and ended up having a cracked head. Ended up getting a new head, changed the tuner to a edge and still have the same

issue with to much smoke and not enough power. Mechanic is suggesting to go with a smaller injector size. Any suggestions? Thanks  

Do you still have the quadzilla?   if you have the iquad you can tune the smoke completely out.  The 125's are the right injectors if not a touch small.   

Edit: do you know what brand injectors it has?   sounds like DDP, if that is the case then that is your issue. 

Edited by Me78569

the 62 needs 125's or even 150's  

load up the quad and put Mopar1973mans tow tune on it and see how it is. 

If it is still smokey I would bet you have DDP injectors, in which case that is your issue.  They are smokey and it is best to grab a new set from DAP.   however it is all a guess without knowing what injectors they are actually.  

Welcome to the club. First off I would probably not go back to that mechanic. How did he determine that the head was bad. Even if the head was bad he obviously doesn't know much beyond working on a stock truck. 

Put quad bal on, make sure it has v2 tuning software, then get a set of 7x10vco injectors request to have pop pressure set to 320 bar. With proper tuning on the quad you'll love that setup, well at least I do, for now, someday if I'm lucky enough I'll get twins.

• Owner

Even after 350k miles when I pulled my head to do valve guides and the head gasket my head was crack free. The only thing I can think of someone has been running without a EGT gauge. Yes a stock power truck can exceed 1,400°F easy.  I've seen it done many times. Just because its stock power doesn't mean it not going to run hot.

Wow, that's the most cracked head I've ever seen personally. I hope you trust that shop, because around here there are some crooks that will say they had this bad knowing they have a bad one in the shop, they will just rework your old head and sell it back to you twice the cost, then show you or give you the cracked one they had laying around. Not saying that's what happened but it has happened quite a bit around here, especially in the racing world. I always mark my head or whatever I take in with a small punch in the place where it doesn't look obvious then take few photos. That's how some of these people get caught, guys mark their stuff and are told it's junk, they say well let me see the old one and shoot enough it's not theirs. 

Back to your thread, hopefully what you have now will last a long time and you can work rest of the bugs out. 

I have known the the guy for years but he did date my sister n law for a few years! 🥴

Previous owner just called me and said he bought the 125hp from industrial injection. He said they were true industrial 125hp. Of course, I have no idea what that means.

• Like 1

You already have the quadzilla so no sense spending money.  Use what you have.

I'm running an older unlimited Edge drag comp stacked with a smarty.  Lots of power.  I can run as much or as little smoke as I want lol.  That combo really brought my truck to life.  I've heard the quad is better though.  If my stuff ever dies I will probably make the swap.

• Owner

Bad part is the timing from that stack isn't the greatest nor adjustable. Being the Smarty is without timing and the Edge is just stack a few degree on the stock map which doesn't mean its set up correctly. That was on of the biggest problems with my Edge Comp as the injectors got bigger the timing was way off and the smoke was getting worse, as I added bigger injectors. Now I'm all the way to 150 HP injectors and zero smoke at all. I completely consume all fuel. That's even with a wiretap on the pump... 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Bad part is the timing from that stack isn't the greatest nor adjustable. Being the Smarty is without timing and the Edge is just stack a few degree on the stock map which doesn't mean its set up correctly. That was on of the biggest problems with my Edge Comp as the injectors got bigger the timing was way off and the smoke was getting worse, as I added bigger injectors. Now I'm all the way to 150 HP injectors and zero smoke at all. I completely consume all fuel. That's even with a wiretap on the pump... 

I agree.  I thought I had my smarty and comp sold a couple years ago then I was going to the quad.  Didn't work out so I just run what I brung lol.