• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injectors

Hey guys, I got the quadzilla and IQuad back on my truck. Smoke has improved but it’s still a little bit

much for me. I downloaded a “Jason’s tow tune” but someone mentioned Mike’s tow tune. Is there a difference between the two? I will buy multiple if I need to. Just need to get a little

less smoke. I don’t reckon other drivers like it much....

If Jason's.json file was designed around stock injectors, that could be the problem. To what level do you have the Adrenaline set? The tuning guide in the articles section is a good place to start. You may also need to adjust the CANbus fueling "equalizer". Bigger injectors mean you likely need to start below 100%; I'm no expert on the matter, but would try working from 90% at 0 PSI, and go up 1-2% points per PSI to see if it clears up the smoke.

• Owner
  • What size injectors are you running?
  • What size turbo do you have now?
  • What size tires are you running?
  • What axle gears do you have?
  • What transmission do you have?

Why the questions... We need to know how big the injectors are so we know how much fuel your spraying in the cylinders. Then What turbo do you have to support the amount of fuel your spraying in the hole. If very possible to have big injectors but stock turbo and be too smokey. Tires size and gearing has HUGE impact in performance. This is one reason I dropped from stock 265's to stock 245's. This dropped my final ratio from 3.55 to 3.69 placing my power to the ground and dropped the engine load about 5% to 8% versus stock 265's. Better economy and way less smoke. Transmission type also matters because the amount of retard a manual requires where a auto can hold higher RPM's through a shift and not require much retarding. Goes much deeper too... If your final ratio is lower then 3.42 (285/75 R16) your going to either need to change tires or gears. There is no tuner that will clean up the smoke and high EGT's created by improper gearing. Optimal final gearing is 3.55 to 3.73. Anything lower than 3.42 is going to require regearing and/or tire swap.

• What pop pressure are injectors set at. This affect timing... Like I increased to 320 bar for cleaner spray loss a bit of flow. But less smoke. This also make my injectors RETARDED!
  • Catane of the fuel local to you. Higher cetane has less BTU's but requires retarding of the timing being high cetane fires easier and doesn't require a lot of advanced timing to make it fire. If its too advanced you could make negative torque in other words the pistons travelling up to TDC but the diesel fuel lit off too early and now is pushing backward on the piston as it still coming to TDC. Once it breaks over TDC then it makes power. (Over advancement). Remember lower the cetane the higher the BTU energy!

Like I'm set up at 66 MPH I'm a perfect 2,000 RPM average EGT's on flat ground is 550°F then at 82 MPH i'm running 2,500 RPM's this is interstate travel. I'm only up to 700°F EGT's but still able to reach my cruise timing below 25% on my tune even at 82 MPH and 2,500 RPM. No problem. 

The guy I bought it from said it has 125hp industrial injectors, 62mm turbo, Afe air intake and 373 gears. I believe the gears are to high compared to my uncles truck. He has 410. I only use this truck for pulling a skid steer. I will have to try and find out the other information. Thx

Also, where can I find mikes tow tune? Didn’t see it on the list.

• Owner

Size of tires?

• DAP injectors +150 HP (7 x 0.010) popped at 320 bar
  • HX35/40 Hybrid (60/60/12) turbo
  • 245/75 R16 tires Hankook ATm
  • 3.55 gears 
  • NV4500 5 speed
  • Valair dual disc clutch 

I'm for the most part smoke free on the highway. Between this combo my final is 3.69:1 to the ground. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

15 minutes ago, Jeff Eady said:

The guy I bought it from said it has 125hp industrial injectors, 62mm turbo, Afe air intake and 373 gears. I believe the gears are to high compared to my uncles truck. He has 410. I only use this truck for pulling a skid steer. I will have to try and find out the other information. Thx

Also, where can I find mikes tow tune? Didn’t see it on the list.

With those sized injectors you'll probably want to start with a mid-sized injector tune.  If you are using tunes made for stock injectors that's probably why you are smokey.  :thumbup2:

Try something like this:  

Edited by hdpwipmonkey
added link to tune

• Owner

My current tune for daily driving uses quite of bit of timing. It 5.5° between bands for max timing reaching 29.5° at 3,000 RPM. Starts out as low as 13°at the 1,500 RPM range which give way better launching power because of the good amount of retard there. Spools very quickly. Towing wise I could use my daily tune and just drop to level 3 and NEVER past 1,200°F towing or not. Still have CANBus fuel but even the fuel map I'm running is flat between 5 to 15 PSI. This give daily driver manner and not smokey at all. Now after 15+ PSI of boost now both the wire tap and the CANBus ramp up together give way more power. Once the boost gauge passes 30 to 35 PSI regardless of my towed load my rear tires will be spinning this has happen more than once. Just easier to limit out the Quad to level 3 and not even think.