• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

need help deciding on a turbo

I've had blue smoke coming out of my exhaust upon acceleration, after idling for an extended period of time, for a while now and it smells like oil burning, since I think blue smoke can also be excess fuel. Since oil can only enter the exhaust via the turbo oil seals and the valve seals, I think its the turbo because around 2017 (I think) I had my cylinder head rebuilt due to my head gasket leaking coolant down the side of the block. I haven't pulled the down pipe to confirm yet but its on the list for it.

I'm getting into sled pulling with the truck so i was wondering if it would be more beneficial to upgrade the turbo since it would have to come out anyway. I'm only pulling in a workstock/2.5 class in Southern New England so wringing every last horsepower and torque out of it isn't needed. I'm also still trying to be able to drive the truck daily if needed.

i had a few options that i was looking at but i would like a bit more guidance.

https://www.dieselautopower.com/dap-screaming-eagle-sxe-fmw-2nd-gen-fit-62-68-12-t3-gated-hx40

first option

other possibility was a 62/65/12 from DAP..

https://powerdrivendiesel.com/product/power-driven-diesel-hx35-turbo-kit/

http://turbolabofamerica.com/category/holset-turbo-upgrade/

PDD seems to have found what turbo lab was doing, and copied them. not gonna go bigger than 62mm inlet.

if i go this route, i would probably go through turbo lab due to price.

https://powerdrivendiesel.com/product/power-driven-diesel-hx-super-9-turbo-kit-bundle/

this seems to be an HX35 with an HE351CW exhaust housing, and an HX40 flange grafted on. 

I guess I'm just wondering if upgrading the hx35 is worth the cost savings or if going to an SX-E is worth the flow/efficiency upgrade.

From lurking for a while I've seen that mopar1973man is pleased with his HX35/40 hybrid, that's what's making me question keeping/upgrading the hx35..

Thanks in advance

Silverwolf

• Owner

Just for information...

• Quadzilla Adrenaline
  • +150 HP DAP injectors (7 x 0.010) popped at 320 bar
  • HX35/40 Hybrid Turbo (60/60/12)

I've just been playing with my tune and spread out my timing a bit more. I know I'm most likely high in drive pressure but, power wise 2WD on dry pavement just about the time the wire tap and my CANBus climb together to the end of the fuel map the tires break loose and the smoke I'm emitting isn't exhaust smoke but tire smoke.  

I'd love to step up to a 62/68/12 as a upgrade where I'm at. I've already talked to Jacob Kidd and they have a series of turbo that is ready for my exhaust brake. Small requirement I want to keep my exhaust brake being my brake pad life is now past 200k miles. 

I just got my HE351W (not the HE51CW) in the mail today!  @dripley should be getting his, too.  BlueOx01 was the first to install this turbo, that I know of.  Here is a link where this turbo is discussed, which also contains links to other posts about the turbo.  @AH64ID addresses the "size" of the turbo, and applicability of this turbo.

70x60 turbine

58x85 compressor

12 cm^2 housing

Edited by LorenS
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Anxious to find out the difference it makes :popcorn:

With my stock injectors, probably zero! But, I have some 100 HP injectors waiting to be installed some day.

Blueox01 says it's great! I have an automatic, though, so who knows.

Looks close to Mike's hybrid 35/40 as far as sizing, compressor a little smaller than the 40.

Edited by LorenS
Add link.
  • Like 1

Sorry for not replying sooner, tested positive for Covid and was mopping up some of the fall out of that between work, family, and doctor's office.

@LorenS the link you have for benzforce is 404'd.. is this the right one? https://www.benzforce.com/collections/holset-hx35-he351-accessories/products/new-genuine-holset-he351w-4043980-4043982-he351

you tearing down the turbo to clock it? I seem to remember roll pins needing to be removed on a he351cw in order to clock it

it appears that the elbow from the HX35 will fit.. 

@Dieselfuture how do you like your custom HX35/40? because that's kind of what I was thinking for sizing if I upgraded. and I would be upgrading injectors as well.

2 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

the link you have for benzforce is 404'd.. is this the right

Yes, that's the one. Sorry for the old link! It was to a pre-sale link.

And yes, I took it apart to clock it. With the tools I have here at the house I couldn't get the ring off without removing turbine housing.

The HX35 snout should fit, it's the same 5-bolt flange.

I had the Wuhans back in September, took over a month before my smell and taste came back.

Edited by LorenS

@LorenS was the waste actuator rod on yours staked in the female threads? Mine appears to be but I have not taken it apart yet. Might be a while getting mine on so I dont want to scatter it out yet.  I had the notion of shortening the rod and bracket to clear the oil filter but it might conflict with the air outlet on the compressor when looking at the photos @Blueox01 posted. Also looking a his photos it appears that the mounting bracket is a bit different. The holes for mounting the bracket are lower on ours. If it is maybe the the actuator will clear the filter. I am holding out a little hope for that.

5 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

@LorenS

@Dieselfuture how do you like your custom HX35/40? because that's kind of what I was thinking for sizing if I upgraded. and I would be upgrading injectors as well.

Didn't mean to tag Loren's I can't delete it ether. 

I like my turbo it does what I need. The only reason I had it built this way is to get it close to 362 that everyone gets but still keep my exhaust break. Otherwise I'd just get the 362 with 4" downpipe and call it a day. 

37 minutes ago, dripley said:

was the waste actuator rod on yours staked in the female threads?

Do you mean the little divot at 22-7/16? I haven't tried taking that apart any farther. However, while attempting to estimate the compressor clocking (based on Blueox01's photos) it seems the waste gate diaphragm and the compressor housing interfere. Guess I'll sort that out come install day. My waste gate may just get wired shut for a while. First and foremost I need the turbo mounted and new exhaust so it will pass inspection!

KIMG0134.JPG

4 hours ago, LorenS said:

The HX35 snout should fit, it's the same 5-bolt flange.

I had the Wuhans back in September, took over a month before my smell and taste came back.

good to know but meant the compressor outlet elbow.

still have taste thankfully. lost smell though. its really weird having no smell. like smelling fresh coffee grounds and there's nothing there.. its just an odd feeling. your brain doesn't know what to do with the lack of input from your nose.

30 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Didn't mean to tag Loren's I can't delete it ether. 

I like my turbo it does what I need. The only reason I had it built this way is to get it close to 362 that everyone gets but still keep my exhaust break. Otherwise I'd just get the 362 with 4" downpipe and call it a day. 

so if you didn't have the exhaust brake you would have just went s362/68/12? I don't have an exhaust brake so my options are more open..

40 minutes ago, LorenS said:

Do you mean the little divot at 22-7/16? I haven't tried taking that apart any farther. However, while attempting to estimate the compressor clocking (based on Blueox01's photos) it seems the waste gate diaphragm and the compressor housing interfere. Guess I'll sort that out come install day. My waste gate may just get wired shut for a while. First and foremost I need the turbo mounted and new exhaust so it will pass inspection!

KIMG0134.JPG

That would be the one. I see it on mine. I understand the necessity for you get yours on. Fortunately I am not in a hurry except it would be nice to see how it works. 

I did notice how close the diaphragm was to the compressor but thought @Blueox01's photo was after he modified the bracket..

Edited by dripley

On 2/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, Silverwolf2691 said:

but meant the compressor outlet elbow

I don't know yet. Packing to head out of town for a few days so it will be a while before I have an answer. However, in Blueox01's write-up he didn't mention that being a problem so I'm optimistic.