• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A/C Compressor Leaking, new gasket or new compressor?

I took this compressor apart because it was leaking through the bolts (I'm thinking the 2 that have green inside the threads, top left/top right). The gasket on it looks fine so I am wondering how it was leaking. Can I get a new gasket for it or will that not fix the problem? Can I put some thread sealant on the bolts maybe?

post-45-13869817027_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698170278_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698170284_thumb.jpg

Actually it only looks like that around the freon lines because it all come out when I took it apart. The only green was around those 2 bolts. I'm thinking just retorque it all and maybe some fancy thread sealant on the bolts and see what happens. Is there a way I can check it for leaks with just an air compressor?

No this is on an 01'. It wasn't really wet in that bolt hole so it may have been residual from something else but it was soaked around the bolt, you can see it is wet looking so I think it is just that slow or something. I think I am just going to put it back together with thread sealer and make sure the o rings for the lines are good also and that it is all seated good. I couldn't see any die so I think it was just that slow or something. Have to see what happens.

Hey cool pics. Yeah - I think that top (left) bolt was probably the leaky one - when attached is it closest to drivers side ? Thats interesting stuff. Like your idea of testing if it holds PSI through a compressor somehow once fixed with a good thread sealer. I know it was a realtively slow/small leak - dropped around 1/4 freon in a month. Is that some sort of flutter valve in middle ? The fingers - so vanes underneath or something ?

Hey cool pics. Yeah - I think that top (left) bolt was probably the leaky one - when attached is it closest to drivers side ? Thats interesting stuff. Like your idea of testing if it holds PSI through a compressor somehow once fixed with a good thread sealer. I know it was a realtively slow/small leak - dropped around 1/4 freon in a month. Is that some sort of flutter valve in middle ? The fingers - so vanes underneath or something ?

I assume they are part of the pistons or something. Inside is just a plate that has a lobe on it (I think, might just be a plate that is angled) and as it turns it just pushes the pistons up, one after the other. Then they go back down from a spring in them I think. I tried turning my ford's into an air compressor, worked really good but the threads on those things are weird so I couldn't get anything to seal very good and couldn't figure out the threads.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt8wiIplRqM

• Like 2

Well I thought that youtube video was crap so I just went out and made my own. I skipped the time consuming process of taking the clutch stuff off. Though I think it would have taken just as long to do it properly rather than use a hammer :rolleyes:That one is off my ford and is an R12 system. I don't know if regular ones (like the one I took apart earlier in this thread) are double acting or not, I think they just use more pistons. Smaller pistons but more of them actually works out to having more area so it makes sense how they are using more in newer technology. Cars work the same way (24V vs. 12V, more flow in the same area using more smaller valves).