• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Door speakers

Has anybody replaced the factory door speakers yet? I assume most have. My two front speakers go in and out of playing music and not. I don’t think it’s a short but rather the speakers are just plain wore out. Any suggestions on brands, or a link to what speakers you purchased. I am going to do both front and rear speakers while I’m at it. 

• Like 1

• Staff

I just did a little up grade to my audio system keeping the stock radio head.   The front door speakers are kicker CS series 6X9 and the rear door speakers are Kicker CSC5 5.25".   Because the system amps were built into the bad OME front door speakers I added an Infinity Primus 6004a four channel amp.  The amp is wired to the radio head with a T harness I made with a 9 wire speed cable and Metra 70-1817 and 71-1871 connectors so the factory wiring was not cut.  

Edited by IBMobile

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

I just did a little up grade to my audio system keeping the stock radio head.   The front door speakers are kicker CS series 6X9 and the rear door speakers are Kicker CSC5 5.25".   Because the system amps were built into the bad OME front door speakers I added an Infinity Primus 6004a four channel amp.  The amp is wired to the radio head with a T harness I made with a 9 wire speed cable and Metra 70-1817 and 71-1871 connectors so the factory wiring was not cut.  

So you're saying system amps are the front speakers, my truck has a mind of it's own on sound, start it and left rear is all you get, SO turn it up and boom other speakers chime in if and when they feel like it, switch off and back to left rear

Edited by IBMobile
correct Metra part # in quote

3 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I still have my stock radio head which is a tape player lol. I plan on keeping it. How involved was the wiring for the amp? I didn’t want to get into the wiring side too much but sounds like I will have to if I remove the stock front speakers. 

• Staff

If you don't have tweeters in the A-post cover then you have a standard sound system with out amps in the doors and new speakers will plug in without doing rewiring in the doors.    Making the T harness for the radio to amp to factory harness wasn't to hard but took some time and thought to get all the wire connections sorted out, soldered, and covered in heat shrink.   

Rear view of amp under driver's seat.

the nine wire speed cable (on the right) is connected to the amp speaker out put and the switched power terminal.

IMG_7442.JPG.5cc43ecf61f4287de9cab9a85d763e40.JPG

This is the input signal from the factory radio head.

A nine wire speed cable is used for this also. 

IMG_7440.JPG.8bad1ce55466e307e638b81b35775fce.JPG

• Thanks 1

Speaking of door speakers... I went to Pick n Pull with my son to see what treasures we could find and to see if we could find a passenger side door switch.  We found a Dodge 1500 that just came in the day before and when I pulled the passenger side door panel to get to the switch there was a Pioneer 6x9 in the door.  So guess who got 2 Pioneer speakers and a left and right door switch? :woot: I have the switches soaking in a nice rice bath till I can install it, just for good measure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

Speaking of door speakers... I went to Pick n Pull with my son to see what treasures we could find and to see if we could find a passenger side door switch.  We found a Dodge 1500 that just came in the day before and when I pulled the passenger side door panel to get to the switch there was a Pioneer 6x9 in the door.  So guess who got 2 Pioneer speakers and a left and right door switch? :woot: I have the switches soaking in a nice rice bath till I can install it, just for good measure.

Nice score! I say that trip was well worth your time. 

On 3/2/2021 at 12:54 PM, Gregturley said:

@Red Rambler a really old pioneer premiere. Deh p880 prs. 

Think i bought it in 03 or 05

No dash mods needed for a standard single DIN stereo.

I have ordered everything I need to add an amp but will do more research on head units. I would like to find a Bluetooth one so I can use my phone to play music. Better speakers will work for now. 

I have only gotten one speaker put in so far, but the sound of the polks is just amazing. So clear, can’t even compare to the stock speakers. I normally don’t reuse those Christmas tree push pins that hold the door panels on, however I can’t locate my spare ones so gonna need to get more before proceeding. Regardless, I’m super impressed with the sound of one speaker in so far, and that’s just the 5.25” speaker. I imagine the 6x9’s are gonna really be an awesome sound. 

@Red Rambler the polk db series speaker is hard to beat for the money. They can be overpowered and are marine rated. Those speakers will come to life with a clean amp.

I spent 3 times on Boston Acoustic speakers that are now dead and never sounded as good as the Polk. 

if ya want a good head unit with a lot of user adjustments look at the pioneer deh 80prs. Will be my next head unit. Not quite as good as mine but affordable, has Bluetooth, and not $1000.

• Thanks 1