• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

quad and emissions test?

• Staff

I say let the Dems go ahead with their lawless direction, give them free rein to legislate more division of the people, let them express their constant contention and thereby lack of true leadership. Perhaps then after 4 years the people will have their fill and wake up.

Edited by JAG1

I have agree with @Me78569on this one. The EV's are coming and will outstrip the gassers one day. When the power companies figure that out the infrastructure will take off and then the EV's will be paying the road taxes just like any other vehicle. Oil will not go away but be in reduced demand and gassers will be around as long as I am alive anyway.  Its coming and maybe not a bad thing.

Edited by dripley

2 hours ago, dripley said:

I have agree with @Me78569on this one. The EV's are coming and will outstrip the gassers one day. When the power companies figure that out the infrastructure will take off and then the EV's will be paying the road taxes just like any other vehicle. Oil will not go away but be in reduced demand and gassers will be around as long as I am alive anyway.  Its coming and maybe not a bad thing.

Maybe??, but I just don't see were they're going to come up with all that  extra magical electricity?? Make more dams? Burn more coal? Nuke? Extraterrestrial's?

Ask Texas how that wind worked out.

And how are low income folks, myself included going to afford new electric cars, and believe me you don't want to buy a used one, ever price a new battery for one of those things? It pretty much totals the car. And in the meantime fuel skyrocketing to discourage gassers.

Definitely going to be a cluster....!

4 hours ago, dieseldon said:

And in the meantime fuel skyrocketing to discourage gassers.

It's not just fuel that's going to skyrocket, here in the UK there is talk of a pay per mile tax to replace our road tax, road tax here is calculated on age and emmissions this goes back to around 2001/2002 to the present, everything before 2001 is taxed at a flat £270 per year so my truck is £270, 2002 ram is more, 2020 ram is eyewatering at £2500 ish for the first 5 years, this is a sliding (upwards) scale depending on age/engine size/emmissions, forgot to add anything over 40 years old is tax and mot free, and the lowest tax is zero for the EV's

My wifes Nissan Quashquai which is 3 years old later this year is £155 per year and engine size is 1200cc, had it from new and that's what it has been every year.... BTW it's petrol not diesel

There is talk of  a pay per mile and the figure being suggested is 0.75p per mile which for average mileage of 10k is £7500

We already have clean air zones in certain cities where depending on the vehicle you have to pay to enter.... London was the first, this doesn't bother me one bit as me and cities don't mix, we also have toll roads which are pay to use, these are usually empty, me I'd drive 50 mile on country roads rather than paying

If I didn't use my truck for work and a 5th wheel it would be gone and I'd be driving a 40's or 50's Dodge truck tax and MOT free

• Owner

Just trying to catch up with EU terms like MOT and VAT tax. MOT (Ministry of Transport) which does all the vehicle inspection emission testing. Then VAT (Value Added Tax) tax is well rather interesting say the least being everything get taxed along the way of production. Compared to sales taxes in the state only the consumer pays the sales tax on the final product.

Compared to what I remember of California before I left in 1990. MOT and California Emission testing very similar in design there is other states here that have to have vehicle inspection for operation (lights, brakes, suspension, etc.)

11 hours ago, dieseldon said:

Maybe??, but I just don't see were they're going to come up with all that  extra magical electricity?? Make more dams? Burn more coal? Nuke? Extraterrestrial's?

Ask Texas how that wind worked out.

And how are low income folks, myself included going to afford new electric cars, and believe me you don't want to buy a used one, ever price a new battery for one of those things? It pretty much totals the car. And in the meantime fuel skyrocketing to discourage gassers.

Definitely going to be a cluster....!

It will take time, its not going to come overnight. The tech is catching on and improving all the time even with small percent of sales the EV's are of the market at the moment. Cost of batteries while still pricey keeps coming down. I believe they are about half what they were 10 years ago. The power will come from good old american capitolism. Supply and demand. I could see my wife maybe driving one and I would drive it too, around town anyway. I still want a vehicle I can go 600 miles or more on a fill up. 

I could see myself back in the late 1800's not wanting to give up horse for noisy smokey contraption. Back in the 1920's my grandfather bought his first car. Before he would let any family member ride in it he took home and parked in the barn and took it apart to see what made it tick. Once he was satisfied he put it back together and they went for a ride. Think I got some of him in me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just trying to catch up with EU terms like MOT and VAT tax. MOT (Ministry of Transport) which does all the vehicle inspection emission testing. Then VAT (Value Added Tax) tax is well rather interesting say the least being everything get taxed along the way of production. Compared to sales taxes in the state only the consumer pays the sales tax on the final product.

Compared to what I remember of California before I left in 1990. MOT and California Emission testing very similar in design there is other states here that have to have vehicle inspection for operation (lights, brakes, suspension, etc.)

It's not EU terminology Mike it's UK.

MOT is as you say Ministry of Transport, the vehicle inspections are carried out by authorized garages on behalf of the MOT and the test is actually called a MOT test, inspectors float around posing as customers with cars due a MOT to try and catch the garages out not keeping up standards, vehicles have to be on the ramps for the allotted time and the tester logs onto a computer to start the inspection and logs off when finished 45 minutes later, I've been getting all my MOT's done at the same place for 40 years and my mum worked there for 40 years too so MOT's there for me aren't as bad as they could be.

VAT is as you say Value Added Tax, everything is taxed at 20% and as many times as it changes hands to end up with the final consumer, so lets say I buy a part from DAP for £100 and lets say the import duty is 5% for a total of £105, shipping is another £100 for a total of £205, I then pay £20% VAT on the total amount for a grand total of £246 .

So I decide to sell this part to another business, this other business adds 25% markup which is £61.50 for a total of £307.50 PLUS VAT at 20% for a total of £369.  Each business pays the VAT to the government on the profit so if a company is charged £20 VAT  and then sells it for a sum which nets £30 VAT £10 goes to the government...... the name gives it away Value Added Tax so each business that "ADDS VALUE" to an item pays 20% of that added value as a tax to the government so really the only guy that actually pays 20% vat is the end little guy

Most everything is 20% Vat except most food, childrens cloths, books, household energy

Car tax is totally different and Called VED  Vehicle Excise Duty. So you buy a car for say £40k 20% vat makes that £48k then lets say it's on the big polluter list  (5.0 Mustang or Range Rover or whatever)  VED adds another £2.5k. Then go fill it with fuel and 0.56Pence per litre cost of fuel is fuel duty and goes straight to the government

TAX TAX TAX and more TAX but our infastructure is pretty good on the back of it

• Thanks 1

• Owner

I love the small education on UK taxation. Interesting to say the least. 

Kind of different for sure. Like If I buy injectors or injection pump from DAP I get it at a MUCH lower price than public. Allowing my to mark up product so I can make a profit off the product. As a I sell product I have to track where its sold. I'm responsible for any sales in Idaho hence where my nexus (place of business) is location. Now I have to mark up 6% tax on all products sold in Idaho. All other 49 states in the union get products sale tax free. Then when I sell over seas then the taxes state off the price I sold it to you for so VAT of 20% would be placed against it as it enter UK. 

6% sales tax AND only in Idaho wow thats low.

6 minutes ago, dieseldon said:

Will440, Curious, what's the arcronym over there for clean air and tax gestopo?

I'm sure our current administration is frantically scurrying to model something similar and more diabolical!

That would be just a 2 letter umbrella  for that  ........... UK 

What really ticks my sheet is China has just had a damn good go at wiping out the human race and China and places like India polute on an unbelievable scale (the mask wearing before covid is the clue there) why do we continue to buy junk from these countries. and us dumb asses on a little tiny island of 66 million people want to lead the world in reducing emissions to zero yesterday, if I can get the next 5 years or so driving my truck (work and 5th wheel, this timescale may change depending on how **ssed off I get with the green brigade) I'm going 40's/50's Dodge Job Rated with a 440ci on propane

Worst thing is around 2007 I imported a 55 Job Rated but sold it cos some fool had fitted a chevy 350, I did know this beforehand but just couldn't bring myself to keep it or drive it

While I believe the EV's are coming, fossil is not over by any means. I like to think even our government isnt stupid to ban them out right in our life time. Certainly not mine. But they never cease to amaze me with their wisdom, supposedly. Whats another 1.9 trillion amongst friends.

12 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm wondering if we can still drive our diesels using something like vegetable oil. Would it then be better for the environment emission wise? I know it's not suited for cold climates but hey if I can keep driving it I will. 

McDonalds here use their recycled oil in their trucks, doubt it's a 100% bio as they probably don't produce enough waste cooking oil   but yes older diesels can and do run on it, it's down to lubricity as to whether it's ok

5 hours ago, wil440 said:

it's down to lubricity as to whether it's ok

In town I work at there's a college and I a maintenance shop for the college, I know most of the staff there and they have a set up where they make their own bio from used vegetable oil. They use it in all of their equipment that is diesel as soon as worm season starts. Straight oil and they add something to it I forget what. I need to stop in there soon and make some notes. Lubrication wise I believe it's the best you can get. 

• Owner
10 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

In town I work at there's a college and I a maintenance shop for the college, I know most of the staff there and they have a set up where they make their own bio from used vegetable oil. They use it in all of their equipment that is diesel as soon as worm season starts. Straight oil and they add something to it I forget what. I need to stop in there soon and make some notes. Lubrication wise I believe it's the best you can get. 

Make sure about the oil... Any water content of the oil should be heated till the oil is clean water free. Filtered oil make sure no particles or debris is not going to plug up your filters. There was something about salt content you had to watch for too. Been awhile since I last read about this.

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Make sure about the oil... Any water content of the oil should be heated till the oil is clean water free. Filtered oil make sure no particles or debris is not going to plug up your filters. There was something about salt content you had to watch for too. Been awhile since I last read about this.

I know there's quite a bit involved in it, that's why I never jumped on it yet, this college I'm talking about has a small building dedicated to making this bio, other got a lot of fancy equipment in there, maybe they let me take few pictures next time I'm there. 

I was just thinking out loud about emmisions in general, if we burn let's say brand new vegetable oil, if it made since financially, would it polute less then fossil fuel ? or not... I've heard some say it has 0 polution not sure if I agree because you're still burning something, but it could be more green renewable energy that we grow vs pump out of ground, idk just thinking. Maybe we need to start sticking up on vegetable oil before prices skyrocket on diesel.

therory is if it's bio and produced now then the carbon has been captured recently so no adding to carbon actually as the plants took it out so equal, only adds when took out of the ground which was produced millions of years ago and stored

Problem is if we go to bio oil vast areas are needed so defeats the object as forests are flattened which remove more carbon than anything on the planet

Thing is and I'm probably going to get shot down for this....... meat production and animal farming  is way up there too as in methane which is a much bigger greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide/monoxide etc but the west finds it easier to bash/tax/restrict the motorist rather than address farming..... there I said it