• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Intermediate steering shaft

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What is the axle weights? Front vs rear axle? Typically on average its 60% weight on the front axle and about 40% weight on the rear axle. 

For example I know the weights of my 2002 Dodge by heart. 

Front is 4,440 pounds (60.8% = 4,440 / 7,300)

Rear is 2,860 pounds (39.1% = 2,860 / 7,300)

Total weight 7,300 pounds. 

Even knowing this I can get the tire pressure correct... My tires are Hankook ATm 245/75 R16 (3,042 pound capacity at 80 PSI)

(4,440 / 2) = 2,220 / 3,042 = 0.72 x 80 = 58.3 PSI in the front (60 PSI Front)

(2,860 / 2) = 1,430 / 3,042 = 0.47 x 80 = 37.6 PSI in the rear (40 PSI Rear)

Might check the axle weights like this and see how much weight is on the rear axle vs thew front axle. 

" What is the axle weights? Front vs rear axle?"

I don't know but you may be on to something. If I had to guess I'd say I'm dead backwards with more of the weight being on the rear axle. As I mentioned the vehicle total weight is 8300 (empty) with ALL the extra weight being in the bed. Loaded for bear it could be close to 10k lbs GVW. As a matter of fact the truck drives just like you had an over loaded trailer attached...front end barely touching the road and squirrely as hell.

Going to find a local scale and get some weights. I'll then adjust tire pressure and we'll take it from there. I'll be back!

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What is the axle weights? Front vs rear axle? Typically on average its 60% weight on the front axle and about 40% weight on the rear axle. 

For example I know the weights of my 2002 Dodge by heart. 

Front is 4,440 pounds (60.8% = 4,440 / 7,300)

Rear is 2,860 pounds (39.1% = 2,860 / 7,300)

Total weight 7,300 pounds. 

Even knowing this I can get the tire pressure correct... My tires are Hankook ATm 245/75 R16 (3,042 pound capacity at 80 PSI)

(4,440 / 2) = 2,220 / 3,042 = 0.72 x 80 = 58.3 PSI in the front (60 PSI Front)

(2,860 / 2) = 1,430 / 3,042 = 0.47 x 80 = 37.6 PSI in the rear (40 PSI Rear)

Might check the axle weights like this and see how much weight is on the rear axle vs thew front axle. 

I believe you just found my problem. I was starting to lean towards the camper shell plus equipment being an issue and then you posted that formula and a little bulb went off in my head "THAT'S IT". I did a few rough calculations using my vehicle weight from the dump (8300lbs) and a 60/40 ration as you mentioned. Oh man I was way over inflated so made a few adjustments. I found a CAT scale nearby (Certified Automatic Truck scale) and drove over to get a real number for front & back axles. On the way over I'm thinking dang...this thing is driving much better already! Got to the scale and here's what I found:

Front: 3960 lbs

Rear:  4300 lbs

So my rig has 48% of the weight on the front axle and 52% on the rear.

I'm running Back Country tires "E" rated to 3415 lbs @ 80psi and I had the tires up around 70psi front and rear. As you can see my tail end is a little heavier than the front. Throw a load of camping gear in the back along with the over inflated tires and BINGO the rigs a little squirrely. 

Now that I have the axle weights I can make one more adjustment to the tire pressure and I think I'm good to go. I'm also going to start loading as much heavy stuff (tools, water, whatever) as I can in the front when we make any long trips. I'll always be out of balance in this regard but no need to throw it out more than necessary.

Thanks Mike...I owe you a beer man! 

Edited by MikeH