• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crossover Tubes - Replace vs. Reuse

I will be installing new injectors soon and I’ve read conflicting info regarding whether crossover tubes should be replaced at the same time.   

Proponents (including @dieselautopower) of changing them out say the risk of fuel leaks is much less if they are changed out.   Those who say changing them is not necessary advise that if they are correctly installed and aligned with the injector, and have a properly installed o-ring, leak potential is minimal.   

What is the prevailing opinion here regarding changing the feed tubes?

If I change them out, is there any reason to go with anything other than these?     https://www.dieselautopower.com/bosch-cross-over-fuel-connector-tube-set-of-6-f00zr20002x6.   There is a plethora of brands out there but I’m uncertain what may work best for my application.  I don’t want the engine to lope, and prefer a smooth and quiet idle, so I gather I should avoid high flow type or oversized tubes.   Could my 7x0.009 DAP VCO injectors even make use of a high flow crossover tube in any event?

Thanks and Cheers!

Tom.   

Edited by Tambs
Cause my typing and editing sucks.

No need for high flow tubes unless you are running 6x.013 and bigger, have high feed lines and mods to your injector body.  Many people do nt replace them and have no problems.  Its up to you.

New tubes are not necessary unless you have a 1998.5

Consider selling/returning the smarty and getting a Quadzilla Adrenaline... way more features, less smoke and more power.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dieselautopower said:

No need for high flow tubes unless you are running 6x.013 and bigger, have high feed lines and mods to your injector body.  Many people do nt replace them and have no problems.  Its up to you.

New tubes are not necessary unless you have a 1998.5

Consider selling/returning the smarty and getting a Quadzilla Adrenaline... way more features, less smoke and more power.

Already bought the Quad from you!  😁   Just haven’t installed it yet.   I edited my sig to show it being in the inventory.   

Was looking at TJ’s IG account (#1badvp44) and looking into his tuning service.  But that’s down the road after I spend a bunch of time reading up on custom tuning here first.  May be able to get the tunes I need here and be able to educate myself to do my own tuning.   

Probably sell the Smarty.  Haven’t even taken it out of the box yet except to make sure it was in there.  

I've changed a few sets of injectors since I own my truck and who knows how many times they've been changed before I got it. I've never changed crossover tubes just the o rings and washers, never had an issue. You just have to pay attention to what you're doing, look over mating surfaces real careful. I had issues with my lines sipping a little fuel where they connect to the Head aka crossover tube, after using some very very fine sandpaper on line ends, no more leaks. 

As for tuning, you can start with downloading a tune from this site closest one you could find to match your truck and needs, then fine tune it from there. I'd recommend creating another identical tune and play with that vs adjusting the one you download so you can always fall back on something. With time you'll figure it all out and make your own tunes no problem.

• Like 1

I still have my oe ones in the truck with no issues. The most I do to mine when they are out is polish the mating surfaces with a green scrubbie. Just be sure to snug up the injectpr line up to the head before you tighten the injector hold down bolt. That will help seat the tube into the injector properly. The steel in those things is so hard I dont see how they can wear out. But I am sure some do or no one would sell them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like most are reusing their tubes after ensuring they are clean and smooth, and using due care when re-assembling to make sure they are aligned with the injector.  

👍🏻🍻

• Owner

Personally I would replace connector tubes every time the injectors are changed. Why? Because there is a device called a Edge Filter down inside the tube. These Edge Filters hold up ant debris that makes past the VP44 pump and traps it till the either pressure pulse breaks it down and passes through the injector or remains lodged in the edge filter. 3rd Gens and up it always suggested to replace connector tubes with injectors because even the higher pressure has been known to wear the edge filter out from debris as seen below.

image.png

• Like 1

Last time I changed my injectors I used carb cleaner on all tubes sprayed backwards and then compressed air, looking through them I could see day light and all 4 holes were clear, or so that's what my memory tels me. I know some even drill them out for more flow. Idk to each their own I suppose.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally I would replace connector tubes every time the injectors are changed. Why? Because there is a device called a Edge Filter down inside the tube. These Edge Filters hold up ant debris that makes past the VP44 pump and traps it till the either pressure pulse breaks it down and passes through the injector or remains lodged in the edge filter. 3rd Gens and up it always suggested to replace connector tubes with injectors because even the higher pressure has been known to wear the edge filter out from debris as seen below.

image.png

Is this damage something that can be inspected for when the tubes are out, or can one not see the problem?  Those photos are section cuts through a crossover tube are they not?   

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Last time I changed my injectors I used carb cleaner on all tubes sprayed backwards and then compressed air, looking through them I could see day light and all 4 holes were clear, or so that's what my memory tels me. I know some even drill them out for more flow. Idk to each their own I suppose.

Thats pretty much how I look at mine. Though I guess if the damage is in the size of microns it would be hard to see. But I think I am still keeping mine.