• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see you lurking about Mopar1973Man.Com reading articles and reading other member's posts. Are you trying to solve a problem with your Dodge / Ram Turbo Diesel Cummins? We have lots of helpful members and staff on the Mopar1973Man.Com and are willing to give guidance on how to fix or improve your truck. You know when you see good valued information here on Mopar1973Man.Com. We are not corporate owned like many of the other websites out there. Like Cummins Forum (VerticalScope Inc.). Mopar1973Man.Com is entirely privately owned and operated since 2004. Your subscription funds goes towards server maintenance and software maintenance. We happen to be one of the most friendliest and helpful websites for Cummins Owners in the world. Come join us and register and then pick a subscription plan

• Board Of Directors

Exhaust Brake Needed

Looking for a working exhaust brake for 2000 Ram auto.  Would like it to be complete with controller but will consider other options.   PM me with details. 

• Board Of Directors

From DAP:  Pacbrake C44075 direct mount PRXB for auto with controller $1870.33 

BD Diesel 2033137 direct mount with no controller $1199.99

From Amazon:  BD Diesel 2033137 direct mount with no controller $1150.00

Banks 55221 direct mount with controller $903.07 

• Board Of Directors

From what I've read the Banks controller releases the lock up below 30MPH and the BD says it only works in 3ed and 4th gear.  I can keep my trans lock in 2ed. 

If I need to I could make my own transmission lock up controller. 

• Administrator

Like the Jacobs brake its hooked directly to the ECM and control directly by the ECM. It has a 3 second lag for normal gear shift for manuals. Just monitors the APPS single to return to zero. Once it does the ECM counts 3 second then grounds that leg of the solenoid. The fuse is separate lead under the dash. 

3 minutes ago, LorenS said:

that model of PacBrake, $1500 on sale. Clearly not as cheap as used!

Remember the value of the dollar is dropping hence why it takes more dollars to purchase the same products. Thank you Biden (DemonRats)

• Board Of Directors
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Remember the value of the dollar is dropping hence why it takes more dollars to purchase the same products. Thank you Biden (DemonRats)

I think he's got 6 other second gen trucks as a hedge against inflation. :lol:

• Administrator
Posted (edited)

Just to show price change. I orignally bought my Jacobs Brake for $700 INSTALLED by Lewiston, ID Dodge Dealer. Back in 2003... Now you can't touch a Pacbrake for now less than about $1,000... Pacbrake would be the one I would buy though if mine was to fail. Pacbrake design has the best hold back power compared to like Jacobs, BD, etc.

$1,269

https://www.dieselautopower.com/pacbrake-c44064-inline-mount-prxb-exhaust-brake

$1,870

https://www.dieselautopower.com/pacbrake-c44075-direct-mount-prxb-max-flow-exhaust-brake

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

I have the Pacbreak. I haven’t had anything to compare it to but I have no complaints. It’s a complete kit. It will lock from 2nd gear and up. I haven’t tried first but I don’t see why it wouldn’t. My valve body can do that. It locks down to 1,000 rpms so speed would vary depending on what gear you’re in and gear ratio. The onboard air is nice. It gives you a quick coupler to tie into the system to mount where you want. Along with a bag with a hose, air nozzle, tire pressure gauge and a few other adapters. It’s come in handy working on pool sweeps with plugged nozzles.The air compressor mounts to an aluminum bracket that slides under the passenger battery.  It is pricey but it comes with everything you need. Even installed one on my brother in laws 02 2500. It turns off and on with a flick of a switch. If you have it off. When you first start the truck it will cycle the valve three times. I wrapped my airline with 3/8” fuel line for cya. You will have to do some welding. You will have to cut the end of the exhaust pipe off and weld their mounting flange to it. 

Edited by Threadzy
Added welding requirement.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, IBMobile said:

From what I've read the Banks controller releases the lock up below 30MPH and the BD says it only works in 3ed and 4th gear.  I can keep my trans lock in 2ed. 

If I need to I could make my own transmission lock up controller. 

If I were in your shoes, I would get the PacBrake PRXB without the controller.  I would wire in a foot operated mystery switch for the torque converter lockup and a throttle switch for the exhaust brake.  I would mount the exhaust brake switch on the transmission shifter and use a floor mounted momentary switch for the torque converter lockup.  Using a momentary floor switch enhances the driveability of the automatic transmission under all operating conditions, not just the when using the exhaust brake.

I had a PacBrake setup (not the PRXB) on my '99 with a stock automatic transmission.  The only difference is that I used the floor switch for both the torque converter lockup and the operation of  the exhaust brake.  By the way, I kept the exhaust brake when I sold the '99 and installed it on my '02.  That exhaust brake has logged well over 400,000 miles.

If you are interested in the setup and a detailed explanation of its benefits, PM me.

- John

• Thanks 1

I guess I should add that my Banks is not working now. Pretty sure it is the actuator. It did work good but only lasted about 7 years. Vendors asked for a part # to see if they could replace it. Banks to return the emails sent them. I would be a bit leary of the Banks. It is still the same I paid for all those years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board Of Directors

Well I broke down and bought a new Packbrake PRXB 4".   I'm slowly installing it since I don't need to use the truck for the next 6 weeks.   Where is the best place to mount the .5 gal pressure tank that comes with the pump.

• Board Of Directors

Glad you got that. I know you've wanted one for a little while. Looks like waiting was worth it according to the price you got. :thumb1:

• Administrator
Posted (edited)

Just in brake life for me on exhaust brake.

First brake pads lasted till 180k miles. 

Second set of brake pads still going.... 200k plus and going. 

There is no 3rd gen brake upgrade that can go this far or provide braking without wear. I normally only use the brake pedal to hold the truck in place rare do I use the pedal for slowing down. Unless emergency which now since I rarely use them i know the brakes are cool and ready for anything. Compared to running down a 7% grade and already have hot brakes and now need more braking power or to stop this is a dangerous mixture. 

Now like I've seen more than once. Between members here and customers. They will make a run towing and hit a grade and ride the brakes now you just super heated the front unit bearing on the axles and short time later the bearing start to fail. This will occur with either Stock 2nd Gen brakes AND on 3rd Gen upgraded brakes. The only braking system that does it job without wear  or heat issues on the unit bearings is the exhaust brake. 

3rd Gen brake might be a bit bigger and clamping force but the rotor adds rotational mass to the mixture. Like most with 3rd gen brakes have larger tires and wheels again adding more rotational mass. More rotational mass even 1 rotational pound is like 8 more pounds on the frame. Now you need to have more power to move then takes even more braking force to stop. Laws of physics basically states once you get all the mass moving it will take as much or more to stop again. Hence why I don't want this mod because you still going to create huge amount of heat typically to slow down 35 inch tires. 

Exhaust brake just turns the entire engine into a air compressor. The valve closes on the exhaust side and pressure builds up near 60 PSI (drive pressure). Now comparing like my Jacobs Brake its just a butterfly valve with a hole in the middle. As for PacBrake PBXR...

image.png

#4 is the main piece that hold the drive pressure higher near 60 PSI longer. So if it above 50 PSI this little valve pop open at #4 and allows the pressure to bleed down near 50 PSI again. Once below this number it will close again and holding the drive pressure near 50-55 PSI. What you want to is to be low enough to hold the truck back without floating valves.  Now you see where my Jacob brake come up short. But only Pacbrake PBXR has this feature. I've got a client that wants a exhaust brake on his 2006 Chevy Duramax. I wanted to get the Pacbrake PBXR but no dice. Only kit requires a muffler shop to cut it inline to install. Now BD is like my Jacobs brake turbo mounted and easy to install. That was the direction we went on the Duramax. He is also having the same problems brake wise. Tows heavy constantly up and down 7% grades loaded. Brake life is short and heat issues on the brakes. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Tells you how good my memory is. It’s under  the back seat of the cab. I got the frame part right! 😂 As far as having an automatic and not being able to down shift coming to a  stop the third gen brakes are night and day difference. Now it feels like stopping in a newer 1/2 ton truck. I want to take that drain plug out and replace it with a valve. Much easier and quicker to drain water from the tank. 

4936471A-73FE-423A-8B96-8DE787A09490.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Threadzy
Added drain valve
  • Thanks 1