• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Doing the w-t gound mod

I am finishing up my w-t ground mod. I have been doing other projects and have forgot. So the 2 wires from the alternator one is the output that I am going to hook up to a circuit breaker and battery. But what is the other wire? Where did it hook up to? 

Screenshot_20210320-185404.jpg

Not sure what that is. I have had both the Bosch and ND style alternator and the only wires either one had was the charge wire and the two field wires that plug into the back. I believe to blue wire coming out of the loom. Not sure what another larger would be unless someone added an additional ground from the case to the frame. Its not unheard of.

• Like 1

• Staff

The batteries are paralleled, (wired as one battery bank) which dictates that both batteries get replaced at the same time with the same manufacture dates whenever one battery goes bad.

There is some thought about running the charge lead to the drivers battery because that's where the battery temp sensor exists. But that's for another discussion perhaps. rRouting will be important keeping B+ charge wire away from the rest of the loom. Running to the drivers battery may require going up one size in wire gauge because of the distance. 

In your picture above you can see the stud on the alternator frame just nxt to one of the wires. That is for an external ground to the negative battery post. It is optional  and is always a good idea. Grounding, as the factory does, thru the mounting of an alternator mounting is rusty, painted, corroded and is a poor ground.

DieselFuture is right please toss the Fram filter and get Donaldson Blue if you can.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

That smaller gauge wire is a ground. So i can just ground it and hook the charge wire to my circuit breaker correct? But i still cant figure out where it grounded to or bolted to. The ring terminal on the end is half inch.

Yes, i am do for an oil change and I am ordering a Donaldson oil filter. Seems like a good oil filter

@Doug Dear

I have a 98.5.  I did the mod as instructed and left factory B+ unhooked and secured out of the way for the time being.  New charge wire to passenger battery.  AC noise is within spec for me. :shrug:

Look directly underneath your thermostat housing and you'll see where that ground terminates (the second wire in question).

Again, one goes to the PDC (factory charge wire) and the second (factory ground) terminates right underneath the thermostat housing.  

Edited by sooxies