• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3 hours ago, jag said:

That is a totally wrong statement. Gail Banks doesn't make parts for fun. If it didn't show increase in air flow, it would have not been built.

Banks has been the only maker of a rear diff cover that works & has been tested in the real world. The guy is wicked smart.

I love mine, & has proved itself. It is really noticeable with the Common Rail head I have on my VP

air flow is a function of the entire system. 

the stock elbow is not a restrictive part of a stock 24v system.   A near stock truck will never notice a difference between stock and the banks.   There are other perks though, like additional ports, etc.   

Also remember that Banks is a company that makes money, While they have done a lot of cool stuff they also build stuff to make money.   Example, there is no need for a 3.5" intake track on a daily driven vp44 truck,  but they make it and market it.    so yes while it does increase the amount of air flow through the part, it does not increase CFM in the system as a whole to the point of being a big difference.

It's been awhile, but the common air head flows a lot better than the vp head.  I want to say that the head was the limiting factor in the system, but you would have to read to know for sure.    

Point is, get eye candy if you want no one is stopping you, but Banks is in it to sell parts.

I bought a Banks stinger plus directly from them back in 2005 and a Banks exhaust brake from a vendor. They worked fine for about 7 years then things started failing. I went to them for help and they bothered to give me the time of day. That soured me on them. 

As far as flow on a 24 valve I would have go with @Mopar1973Manand@Me78569and their opinion as I have heard that from here and other places. Thats on the stock 24v motor.

Edited by dripley

• Owner
On 3/24/2021 at 3:54 AM, Mongolianthor83 said:

@@Mopar1973Man  so with having a hot rodded vp should I use the pump tap on the quadzilla 

You can it not the hot rod pump fuel matters which it really doesn't it the fact that Hot Rod pump are advanced mechanically in timing. It the fact you 'll always have to calculate in that offset just like I've got to calculate the offset of timing because of the 320 bar injectors. This makes my timing late so I got to add more timing than normal. You will have to retard more than normal. Again its not the fuel part being it only an extra 21 HP you gaining. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

It's based off of watch engine load as you travel and engine oil temperature. High engine load means the the timing is not efficient or excessive drag. If you oil temp starts to creep up that mean there is more flame front on the cylinder walls heating the coolant and oil. Typically to advanced. Now you can advance timing by having washout injectors that are popped too low <300 bar. The more you get close to the actually desired timing the engine load will drop and the engine oil temp will drop. More energy is produced into work and less into coolant or oil heat. Any kind of excessive heat that is created is wasted energy that was not turning the tires. 

On 3/23/2021 at 3:25 AM, Mongolianthor83 said:

@jagwhere did you see the difference 

Throughout from idle & up.

Dieselfuture, There is a little bit of a water passage at the back of the head on the bottom that needs a bit of die grinder. Other than that, just run Haisley .093 cross tubes. The head alone made a big difference in power. Lot more flow than stock VP.