• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dirty turbo vane and what to do about it.

19 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Surface area of the BHAFs in the article:

1. 12.38"h x 8.5"d = 330.59 in²
  2. 10.50"h x 10.5"d = 346.35 in²      ~ 04% larger than #1
  3. 11.88"h x 10.5"d = 391.87 in²      ~ 18% larger than #1    ~ 13% larger than #2

I can't remember which one had the still mesh inside to keep media from being sucked in. I was going to get one back last time we talked about it and forgot to do so now I'm :think: it was the bigger size filter.

Edited by IBMobile
correct surface area numbers

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I can't remember which one had the still mesh inside to keep media from being sucked in. I was going to get one back last time we talked about it and forgot to do so now I'm :think: it was the bigger size filter.

The odd ball I have is screened both inside and out.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dripley said:

The odd ball I have is screened both inside and out.

It sounds like you may have some restriction issue with it and with my foot I need all the air I can get, I'd like to stick with a bigger one, just can't remember part number for it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

It sounds like you may have some restriction issue with it and with my foot I need all the air I can get, I'd like to stick with a bigger one, just can't remember part number for it.

I do believe you right on the one that I have now. I put a new one and my boost did go up a couple psi so the other was clogged after 50k. I have both the large and the small one and they pretty much acted the same but the small does not las quite as long. The  small one fits much better in my cradle. It does appear that this filter I have now has alot pleats maybe more than the other ones. Just dont know since Donaldson cant give me any info on the filter to be sure what it is. Sti think it is odd that I bought 4 of them when I should not have been able to.

• Like 1

• Owner
21 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I can't remember which one had the still mesh inside to keep media from being sucked in.

Why? In all the years of running a BHAF I've never got the filter minder to move. The only way it will suck in the media is if you plug the media with enough dust and or water to seal the media and cause it to pull into the turbo. My rule of thumb is if the media inside is starting to discolor then its time to replace. About every 150k miles or so. 430k miles and rolling.

• Like 1

• Owner
15 hours ago, IBMobile said:

How to find the vertical surface area of a cylinder  2 π R H

How to find the total surface area of a cylinder  2 π R H+ 2 π R²

Not quite. If you cut the filter media out and laid it out flat the BHAF is MUCH larger over the panel filter being each pleat is wider so when flatten out nad measured the BHAF is much bigger than what your numbers are. You can't just measure the outside and do math you need to cut the media out of an old filter and measure the actual media on a flat plane not all folded up in pleats.

3 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

@Mopar1973Man, how are you using the filter minder? Mine is mounted on the top portion of the oem filter box. Once a BHAF is used in place of that ???

Right now I got it in the end of bhaf, I drilled a hole and put it in. Next time instead of drilling filter I'll drill the elbow from turbo to filter, mine is plastic k&n from po. Or I won't use it at all, never seen it move with bhaf, usually filter just starts to look old and I change it. I'm on my second one now and after 4 years it still looks new, but I don't really drive on gravel mostly hwy. 

• Staff
21 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You can't just measure the outside and do math you need to cut the media out of an old filter and measure the actual media on a flat plane not all folded up in pleats.

You're right, if I was giving the surface area of the filtration media.  Before people started using BHAFs they would drill holes in the bottom of the stock air filter assembly to increase surface area and air flow to the air filter material in the box.  The data I supplied is the size of the side opening of a BHAF assembly the air flows through to the filtration media along with length and diameter information.  If some one has high boost numbers they may want to use a filter with a larger area opening for greater air flow where a stock engine would be fine with a smaller area. 

The filtration surface area does very from between manufactures as well as standard vs premium filters of the same brand.  The manufactures of filters do not readily make surface area information available.  So, this info will be slow in coming as people cut the media out of an old filter and measure the actual media on a flat plane not all folded up in pleats and report their findings. 

On 3/26/2021 at 5:43 AM, Doubletrouble said:

Any benefits to having one of the filter wears pre filter covers on a BHAF? Or is it just to have a bit of color under the hood being they're available I'm several colors.

I have one and the biggest benefit I can see is mine is waterproof.....  water just balls on it instead of soaking the filter, I never get water on it anyway but better to be safe that sorry

Dodge electrics and water I don't think so

• Like 1

• Owner
17 hours ago, wil440 said:

Dodge electrics and water I don't think so

Wow. I better stop power washing my engine, underside and the truck body after 18 years. I've gotten the BHAF wet a few times to. No issues. Not like soaked in water but slash from road ways or indirectly spray while washing the engine down.