• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gen 3 track bar conversion

I found the Thuren aligment specs for stock height rams, It says to make sure first that toe is 0 or close so I'm going to check that first and then see whatthe cams are at now, just haven't had time to check it out yet

I had a bit of time yesterday waiting for Oxy/Acetylene flashback arrestors which never arrived so took a look at the lower control arm cams, got both to rotate although pass side is quite tight, They are both slim to the back which is where I set them the other week, they were middling before but not the same, one was a little more and I can't remember which, I read somewhere that one should be different, if this is for road camber then that's no use to me and it needs to be opposite, Still not rechecked the toe 

Just been listening to the news here, 17 year old ish jailed  for 15 years for throwing a  strangers child off of the Tate modern building, smashed most bones in the child, just nearly walking again but messed up big time, 17 year old had told the authorities what he wanted to do but no one thought he was a risk... definetly some alignment needed there

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:wtf: Really? No one is allow to work on there own vehicles...

No  I meant alignment specs for people :) 

• Haha 1

• Owner
1 minute ago, wil440 said:

Exactly... People should be able to get the specs to at least make the vehicle close to right to safely drive to a alignment shop to be completed. I know the each and every vehicle is a bit different in the angles and allowances. Just seems weird they made that illegal.

19 minutes ago, wil440 said:

Just been listening to the news here, 17 year old ish jailed  for 15 years for throwing a  strangers child off of the Tate modern building, smashed most bones in the child, just nearly walking again but messed up big time, 17 year old had told the authorities what he wanted to do but no one thought he was a risk... definetly some alignment needed there

No I meant alignment specs for people as most aren't aligned with me or maybe I'm not aligned with them who knows LOL

Joking aside Aligment shops don't exist here other than toe in/out and they won't touch the ram for that even, had to buy my own old Dunlop tracking gauges

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

They're probably afraid to work on such a big vehicle. Would a semi truck shop touch it? It's about the size of your semi trucks over there. Lol

LOL,  one thing, it doesn't go onto vehicle lifts as it's too heavy and too wide and too long, it's class 7 MOT which is over 3.5 metric tonne as a gvw, really it should have a tacho if the letter of the law was observed but it's a grey area so no one bothers

Our semi trucks are at 44 metric tonne gross which is around 100klb is it not, then the heavy haulage stuff which is whatever fits on the road  :) 

As far as I know and I've been a trained HGV (Semi) and  Mobile Plant mechanic for 42 years now, no shop here does anything other than toe as it's not adjustable, there is no caster adjustment on anything I've owned and up until my 3500 I'd never seen the adjustable cams.

Landrover 90/110 and the classic Range Rover have the same front suspension really, they do have 1 radius arm (control arm) but it wraps 1/2 way around the axle with 2 bushes per side so the same as 2, it is a lot longer than a ram radius arm so gives better axle articulation, I've owned a 110 and a 90 both with 35" BFG muds the 110 with a 3 inch lift and never had to think about caster, no adjustment anyway from the factory.

I've never seen caster adjustment on a semi here either but thats not to say there is none i've just never seen it and it would be wedges under springs is my guess.

• Staff

So is your truck right hand drive then? Or was it an american import?

I haul cars for a living, mostly dodge/jeep all different models and have driven a few right hand drives. Man does that freak me out! Especially when we have to back them up onto the truck, you only have roughly 15" of ramp under each side. Not alot if room for mistakes.

5 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

So is your truck right hand drive then? Or was it an american import?

I haul cars for a living, mostly dodge/jeep all different models and have driven a few right hand drives. Man does that freak me out! Especially when we have to back them up onto the truck, you only have roughly 15" of ramp under each side. Not alot if room for mistakes.

It's an American import, Dodge didn't do a RHD certainly not here, think they may have done some recently but not sure.

I prefer Left now even when driving on the right and I really don't drive anything other than my ram.

I guess right hand drive 90/110 landrovers would be the worst over there as for one you don't sit inline with the steering wheel, two the side windows are minute and even worse on the early ones which had sliding windows and only half slid anyway like looking out of the slit in a castle wall

19 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Would you mind shooting a picture of those land rovers. I'm very curious what it looks like.

Here is an early 110, all windows are sliding, if you look at the front  side windows you'll see the back sliding peice, changed after about 1987 or 88 but was like that for 40 years plus

https://swva.co.uk/classic-car/land-rover-defender-110-1984/

https://www.landrovercentre.com/product/910xug/

Apparently Big huge market for the things in the USA, funnily enough I was talking to a guy today here that exports them to the USA, he has a contact in the USA and she takes whatever he can send, he goes through them and they look brand new when he's done, mainly Defenders though not the early 90's/110's which is what the link is

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

Brings back memories... thank you. Got a ride in one from southern British Columbia to Northern Cali in 73 going all along the coast. It was a cool machine. Today they cost a lot here in the states.

Edited by JAG1

I had a 1983 110 2.5 diesel, maybe 25 years ago or more, coil springs all round, I threw out the 2.5 landrover engine and fitted a Ford Transit 2.5 diesel, had the CAV injection pump sorted out for more power, 35" BFG muds, 3" lift all round made be me, snorkel right up to the roof.

I did offroad competitions, trials, time trials etc with it for 15 years and never once did I not drive it home, grenaded a front diff just the once climbing a 100ft bank in a disused sand quarry at a competition but drove home on the rear axle only.  8 of us put some trails into a forest on a hillside near Birmingham for an offroad driving centre used the winch and chainsaw for 2 weekends solid, slid sideways down a steep bank into a tree and a branch came straight through the drivers door and into the seat box just below my ~ss

Used it to take aid to Belarussia twice for the kids born with all manner of deformities by  the fallout of Chernobyl AND vodka that would blind goliath..... parents just pickled in it and then have kids..... which meant a whole pile of DNA numbers just never made it to the kids, 1500 mile there 1500 back all up weight of 6000kg, maybe 13klb towing a large trailer, 2nd time I took a trailer with  x ray machines on it donated by a local hospital and the landrover full of food and other stuff we just take for granted.

I watched a 97 year old Belarussian woman chop wood, I was in my early 30's at the time and I'm 6'2" and worked on heavy plant all my working life but I couldn't have swung that axe like her.

If I come across any pictures I'll post em but I only ever seem to find them in the house when I'm looking for other stuff 

I do have a good one somewhere driving through water with water 6" up the windshield with a real good bowwave, Transit diesels of the time had an open timing belt, I changed it maybe 3 or 4 times a year to be safe :) 

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Brings back memories... thank you. Got a ride in one from southern British Columbia to Northern Cali in 73 going all along the coast. It was a cool machine. Today they cost a lot here in the states.

73..... leaf sprung boneshaker then :)

On road they are pants... total garbage..... offroad they come into their own

• Like 1