• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Now What

I do have a tick that sounds like exhaust leak, but it sounds like it is under hood not out of exhaust pipe. Even when valvues set at 8/18 you can here a tick. Could be a fueling tick also. The miss is eritic no consistency to it.

I had a burnt/cracked valve seat - or where the "valve head" seats in the block head. Anyway - it sounded like a ticking - but it was constintly there. I had no surging or any other symptoms - just the tick. Sound slike its comming straight from the block, passenger side - and its loudest when you put your ear to air intake. Also had missing 6th bolt on manifold. But no surge/lope/miss. john

I drilled a hole in cap to release pressure in tank thinking that may help. There is a small rubber plug on top of fuel tank where you unscrew to remove the factory draw straw, well that plug is cracked like it built up pressure and split. Now it could have split due to age also, but at one time I had pressure in tank. When I went to fuel up it would hiss a lot of pressure I thought. Maybe for about 3 seconds, I didnt think the tank should hold pressure. Does it? Anybody else have pressure in tank?

my honda(my 93 gasser) has always had pressure when i ran from fuel to empty(hiss) my 99 ram has never hissed that i can recall. i installed the drawstraw on my tank, but even before that, i don't recall a hiss. did you drill the hole in the cap because you had pressure?

i am starting to think just junk it. Anybody know how much a cummins reman would cost.

Did you check compression yet? Always my first step in diagnosing a mechanical problem! Here is what I use! http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=68606&group_ID=1430 and this http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/mt33c.asp I have it loaned out to a buddy of mine right now, or I would get a video of how to use it. I really like this snap on adaptor compared to the mityvac one i used to have, much much higher quality.

my honda(my 93 gasser) has always had pressure when i ran from fuel to empty(hiss) my 99 ram has never hissed that i can recall. i installed the drawstraw on my tank, but even before that, i don't recall a hiss. did you drill the hole in the cap because you had pressure?

My son used my truck and I told him to fuel it up before he brought it back and we know where the cap is " right" Well I bought another and it started hissing everytime I took it off. Thats how I noticed it, so I just took it apart and drilled a hole in it where it would not get rain water in it.

Sounds like your getting pressure in the tank for sure the vent on top of tank should take care of normal pressure from heat expansion...and with the airdog it should not even be an issue...all fingers point to the head...butt...there is no absolute way of knowing without pulling the Head....One other thing to mention...do you have an increased amount of blow-by from CCV tube?? IF THE CYLINDER PRESSURE WAS TO GET BY THE COPPER WASHER SEALS ON THE INJECTOR IN THE INJECTOR BORE IT COULD PRESSURIZE THE FUEL RETURN GALLERY AND BACK TO THE TANK...WHAT I AM SAYING IS THE CRACK COULD BE RIGHT AT OR ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COPPER WASHER SEAT/SEAL

TRY THIS..LET THE ENGINE WARM UP..WHEN IT STARTS TO MISS OR SURGE..GO TAKE OFF THE FUEL TANK CAP AND SEE IF THERE IS PRESSURE...IF THE CRACK IS THRU THE FUEL RETURN GALLEY IN THE HEAD...THEY WILL DEFINETLY BE A CRAP LOAD OF PRESSURE IN THE TANK

I drilled a hole in cap to release pressure in tank thinking that may help.

There is a small rubber plug on top of fuel tank where you unscrew to remove the factory draw straw, well that plug is cracked like it built up pressure and split. Now it could have split due to age also, but at one time I had pressure in tank. When I went to fuel up it would hiss a lot of pressure I thought. Maybe for about 3 seconds, I didnt think the tank should hold pressure. Does it?

Anybody else have pressure in tank?

Hey guys

Kinda confused here ............

Cracked injector bore - but jnoe had the issue PRIOR to putting in new 50HP DDP injectors right ?

Cracked exhaust valve seat - wouldn't this cause gas to potentially leak out of the head - and basically sound like a 'tick' or and exhaust type sound (like an small exhaust leak) - rather than "missing" ??

I do have a tick that sounds like exhaust leak, but it sounds like it is under hood not out of exhaust pipe. Even when valvues set at 8/18 you can here a tick. Could be a fueling tick also. The miss is eritic no consistency to it.

I did a blow by test and it passed, only 4 11/16 rise at 2800 rpm

Too many variables.... That is just to diagnose ring condition of all 6 as a whole. If you have a cracked exhaust valve seat or burn exhaust valve it aint gonna be leaking into the crankcase, it will be going out your exhaust. Just my opinion though.... at the shop i work at part time we do way more indv. hole comp tests than basing our decision on a quick manometer reading on big truck engines. jmho.

I haven't followed this too close but did the new VP44 come with a brand new computer or was it a gereral reman? and have you swapped out the engine mounted ECM yet? I have a similar issue with my 02 and have just lived with it for several years. I am leaning towards the engine ECM or the VP44 computer throwing fits once they are heat soaked, I will run it until it causes other issues,until then I just put up with it. More so think it is the VP44 as I noticed it started not long after a VP44 swap. Although the ecm isn't original on mine either thanks to Smarty. It crapped out on only the second download and left me sitting in the middle of nowhere. But Bob wagner sent me a used replacement ECM on his dime so cudos to him for that.

Thats what I thought 1 1/2 years ago. Put a Bluechip on and ECM is new from Dodge. Still missing and lope. Everything on exteior of eng is new, and inj. are new.

But did the Bluechip pump get a brand new computer installed when it was rebuilt or was it a used computer? I think I read that bluechip puts new computer on its pumps which is why they are mre expensive but was just wondering. Did it at any point in its life have a cheap downloader loaded onto it at some point......"AKA" superchip. I have seen personally and heard other nightmares of superchip programmer issues that screwing up ecms and leaving bad problematic program traces behind. Have you had a Dodge dealer do an ecm update reflash to get the factory programs back? That is the only fix for the mess superchip tuners leave behind.

Sounds like your getting pressure in the tank for sure the vent on top of tank should take care of normal pressure from heat expansion...and with the airdog it should not even be an issue...all fingers point to the head...butt...there is no absolute way of knowing without pulling the Head....One other thing to mention...do you have an increased amount of blow-by from CCV tube?? IF THE CYLINDER PRESSURE WAS TO GET BY THE COPPER WASHER SEALS ON THE INJECTOR IN THE INJECTOR BORE IT COULD PRESSURIZE THE FUEL RETURN GALLERY AND BACK TO THE TANK...WHAT I AM SAYING IS THE CRACK COULD BE RIGHT AT OR ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COPPER WASHER SEAT/SEAL

I am interested in knowing more about this problem. My truck doesn't miss but I had to drill my fuel cap otherwise it would blow the cap off the extra port on the fuel tank and start blowing fuel out like a geyser. Originally I thought it had something to do with the Powerservice I had added and then the weather getting warmer unexpectedly. My truck has been like this for over a year and still runs fine, but it seems like the EGTS are getting higher and the power is a little less.

Ok I got a new fuel cap from Oreilly and I as them twice this is for a 01 Dodge diesel, they say yes so I put it on and about 30 min. into driving I get out and diesel is dripping from the tank where the draw straw and basket goes in tank. I cant see which hole or hose it coming from but I go to loosen the cap and it has a lot of air coming out. I put old cap back on, that I drilled a hole in and no problem. It sounds like to me compression getting into return line. What do you think. I am going to try to make it pressure up again to see where it comin from.One other thing, what controls the pressure in the tank?

The big white thing that goes into the tank and has all the connections (whatever you call that contraption) has some vent things on mine. It has to vent or it wouldn't be able to handle temperature changes. I've never had any pressure at all on mine. Maybe your vent has mud in it.. That area seems to collect all the dust and mud from every road you drive on.