• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hydroboost leak

So yesterday I'm underneath the truck checking lower control arms and notice the hydroboost is leaking so onto R/A and no seal kits just unit for a "I don't think so price".

Onto ebag and here in the UK there are maybe 20 listed with the 3 seals all saying "exact copy" and "3 weeks delivery" and seller in London...... yeah right.... doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where they all are from.

On ebag.com  thinking I'm bound to find a seal kit made either here or the USA or anywhere other than ......

Found one ebag listing proudly saying made in the USA  but he doesn't ship outside of the USA....... haven't these people heard of the GSP ebag runs, move on found another saying "made in the USA" and does ship to the UK and it's the full "KIT 501" which is everything, so I send a message to clarify it is actually made where he says it is.

The sellers address was USA, I messaged...... Could you clarify that this kit is made in the USA as per your listing as I refuse to buy anything made in china due to quality and copyright

Woke up this morning to a message      " this no work for you"

All I want is a Hydroboost seal kit preferably the full kit that is the correct kit with the correct parts MADE correctly as once I get it stripped it has to be done not 1/2 done waiting for something else that was in the kit but made by a 2 year old, this comes from my last seal kit purchased for the vac pump, one lip seal looked like it had been made in a lathe using a shovel to form the lip, ended up reusing the original which guess what leaks......

Where do I get a proper hydroboost seal kit from ???

Just done some more digging on ebag and real address is china, funny really as had a huge amount listed yesterday, 1 item today

Just bought a 5 seal kit..... made in the USA company in Calif

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

:lmao: oh I'm sorry you have to go through this bs. 

Me too but on the upside I've now got 2 kits on the way each from a different supplier, one kit is 5 seals which covers the 2 main seals and the 8 shaped seal and the other is a full kit with everything..... both MIUSA

Over £100 to my door for both but that includes shipping and Vat, luckily the total comes under the limit for import duty but I'd rather pay £100 plus than .............

It bugs me big time certainly with ebag how stuff is listed from the other side of the planet but with an address  that bears no resemblance to where it's coming from

• Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 11:16 AM, NIsaacs said:

I think this guy has quality seals.

https://piratejack.net/hydro-boost-rebuild-kits/

that the kit I used last spring, fit was good and no leaks so far. 

and I recommend a 24” extension, drop the panel under the wheel and it’s a straight shot to the 4 nuts against the firewall. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Yup... That where I got my last set for a customers truck...

https://piratejack.net/2771004-hydro-boost-repair-kit/

Also the only reason a hydrobooster will leak is from lack of power steering flushes. At 431,000 miles and still not leaking yet. Rule of thumb all fluids (axle lube, brake fluid, power steering, etc.) on the truck should be changed by 30,000 miles (48,200 km)

Screenshot from 2021-04-30 06-49-54.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Also the only reason a hydrobooster will leak is from lack of power steering flushes. At 431,000 miles and still not leaking yet. Rule of thumb all fluids (axle lube, brake fluid, power steering, etc.) on the truck should be changed by 30,000 miles (48,200 km)

Mines leaking because I used ATF 4 like a dumbass, changed the pump a few months ago cos that was leaking too. Any idea how difficult it is to find the correct P/S fluid here ? One company here does the stuff, more than likely listed as an oil for a horses saddle, just not used here and no way of a cross reference so atf it got

And as for changing fluids I send samples off to the Cat oil lab and change when they say so, obviously not engine oil but I still sample it all good, just got to add more friction mod to the rear as thats grabbing big time

I've seen Valvoline engine oil but never seen this P/S oil, I checked first at my go to family run parts shop... been in the same place for years, it was there when I was 16 and that's 43 yrs ago and the place looked old then, they couldn't get it from anywhere.

No doubt if I'd have called a American parts supplier in this country I would have found it sooner but the markup these pirates charge is just plain robbery and I refuse to use them

I just checked the number and  none listed anywhere here

• Owner

Funny part is if you could convert to 2003 and up steering gear box, pump and hydrobooster then you could use ATF in the system. All Dodge trucks after 2003 use a Ford steering parts so it uses ATF fluid in the system. 2002 and back is all power steering fluid. Very common mistake people thinking they can interchange ATF and Power Steering fluids which you cannot. I've got a truck I've got to flush here in the near future because of the same mistake. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

49 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Funny part is if you could convert to 2003 and up steering gear box, pump and hydrobooster then you could use ATF in the system. All Dodge trucks after 2003 use a Ford steering parts so it uses ATF fluid in the system. 2002 and back is all power steering fluid. Very common mistake people thinking they can interchange ATF and Power Steering fluids which you cannot. I've got a truck I've got to flush here in the near future because of the same mistake. 

Thing is my 3500 which is 98 too has been on ATF for years now....... before I knew better..... no leaks but thats a V8 so only pump

also not sure if my 2500 was on ATF before I got it.

I guess the convert wouldn't be too bad a cost over there but then again why would you do it over there as P/S fluid is easily found, conundrum is here fluid is scarce but you couldn't convert due to import costs.

I put a steering box on my 3500 maybe 10 years ago when I was importing parts so it was in one of my regular shipments anyway which was usually a large crate flown in several times a week or so and that was £300 then, I might have to pull it off and try it on my 2500 to see if the wander gets any better 

Do a search for MS-5931 or Chrysler5931.

On eBay UK there was a listing for WESTWAY LUBRICANTS 1L (10.99 British Pounds), there may be others.

Here is a screenshot of a 5L bottle (free shipping) for 35.00 pounds on eBay UK

Screenshot (46).png

Edited by Joe_Pool
To add information

9 hours ago, Joe_Pool said:

Do a search for MS-5931 or Chrysler5931.

On eBay UK there was a listing for WESTWAY LUBRICANTS 1L (10.99 British Pounds), there may be others.

Here is a screenshot of a 5L bottle (free shipping) for 35.00 pounds on eBay UK

Screenshot (46).png

Thats the stuff and place I got it from :thumb1:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not to hijack... Just had a customer complain about her power steering leaking on her 96 Chevy truck. It was filled with ATF. Really common mistake.

I suppose atf is just assumed, thats what I did, thing is as I said my 3500 has had it in the P/S for years now with no leaks, but it's been parked for maybe 4 yrs, I guess it will leak from everywhere when I get around to working on it.

The Pirate Jack 501 kit turned up today, full kit, seals and components properly made, instructions worded correctly without the usual mistakes .... definetly MIUSA, I'm going to wait until the other kit which is just seals arrives before I do the job this way I can choose which kit I need to use

The smaller seal kit turned up today, from ebay.com  part number PB-E005  MIUSA printed on a sticker on the bag so I now have one kit with everything in it and one kit with just 5 seals so I can make a decision on which kit I need to use when I get round to doing it 

I ended up paying maybe 8 to 10 times more for the 2 kits than buying the 2 kits from here BUT all kits here in the UK are from ****a so cost doesn't come in to it one bit.

And seeing as it's for the Ram which is my business truck the tax man is paying anyway :thumb1:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Why does everything break when you go on a road trip. We got 100 miles from nowhere (Stanley, Id) when the Hydro-Boost started weeping. Made it to Challis, Id and found a NAPA store and picked up a few bottles of Power Steering fluid. Once I realized to stay off the brakes as much as possible we finished our little vacation and nursed the rig back home. We made it three days on two small bottle of PS fluid.

I take it that the kit from Pirate Jack above is what I need for the fix. Found this YouTube clip on doing the repair.  This doesn't look like too bad of a job but if someone cares to comment on this clip (where are you Mopar Man) before I jump in feel free.