• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fan clutch locked up

While driving home this evening and getting off the highway my fan clutch came on.  Stayed on the last 30 miles. Got home and opened the hood and it does not free spin at all. Everything looks fine, and the fan has no wobble like the bearings are shot, but it is definitely locked. No free spin what so ever. Just curious if any one has had this happen and did you drive it for a bit before fixing. it? I have two days left this week a have to get one way or another. My thought is it should be fine if all is still tight. At least for a couple days. What ya'll think?

10 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

In theory it should be fine, it will put some drag on but nothing cummins can't handle. Not sure what problem it may cause other than it may run cooler

Funny you mention that, my temp gauge moves almost constantly and after fan clutch locked it stayed at 188 while on the highway. It dipped some after getting on the secondary roads.

But it did not move off of the 188 while at highway speed. That is a bit unusual for my truck. 

Edited by dripley

• Staff

As long as there is no wobble with the engine running, fan spinning, I would go till the weekend. I would keep an eye on it though any time I stop making sure it spins true and is not loose.

• Like 1

When mine locked up last summer I drove it for about 2 weeks due to working 16hr days. 

I will say this, just buy the OEM from either the dealer or genos garage, I tried the part store special, the good gmd brand from rockauto, and lastly the amazon special. All stayed locked or didn’t lock at all.

OEM was the only one that worked properly From the box. 

• Like 2

I remember the first time mine locked while towing. Felt like I went from 2500 pickup to twin engine turbo prop. Caught me off guard. 

8 minutes ago, Towrigdually said:

When mine locked up last summer I drove it for about 2 weeks due to working 16hr days. 

I can identify with that one. I dont like going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

9 minutes ago, Towrigdually said:

I will say this, just buy the OEM from either the dealer or genos garage, I tried the part store special, the good gmd brand from rockauto, and lastly the amazon special. All stayed locked or didn’t lock at all.

OEM was the only one that worked properly From the box. 

I have heard this before. Thing I hate is I have a new one sitting in a box  in the shop. I believe it is a Wagner.  Dont know  for sure but I will dig it out. I will gall me to put it on and it not work but it is going to be hard to ignore. I will price the oe just because/.

Thanks Gentlemen, and you too @JAG1:sofa:

• Like 1

I would think the Wagner should be a quality piece. If I had to buy one, I'd get the Hayden - they maybe who makes them for Cummins. Or if sold out, the Four Seasons as I believe they are a Standard Motor Products brand and may also be an OEM supplier.  SMP makes or made NAPA Echlin electrical parts.

I bought one from Geno's 6 years ago and 135,000 miles ago.  It is still working fine.  I thought my OEM fan wasn't operating properly, but it turned out that it was fine.  The dirty oily mess in the in the center of the radiator was the problem. 

@dripley, I think the steady coolant temperature reading your are seeing after the clutch fan permanently locked up would be expected.  There is now a much more stable flow of air passing through the radiator all of the time which equates to less temperature swing, which means the thermostat can regulate the coolant temperature easier.

- John

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

I bought one from Geno's 6 years ago and 135,000 miles ago.  It is still working fine.  I thought my OEM fan wasn't operating properly, but it turned out that it was fine.  The dirty oily mess in the in the center of the radiator was the problem. 

@dripley, I think the steady coolant temperature reading your are seeing after the clutch fan permanently locked up would be expected.  There is now a much more stable flow of air passing through the radiator all of the time which equates to less temperature swing, which means the thermostat can regulate the coolant temperature easier.

- John

I have one on the shelf for the same reason. It has been 12 years or so. Been there so long I dont know what shelf anymore. The old one is oe so I cant complain. We will see how a new one does. It is definitely moving alot of air right now.

Edited by dripley

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

@dripley I've got the fan clutch wrench and the holder tool for the fan. Pretty cheap to add to your tool box. I'll pull it out later on and get a photo of it all.

Also please mention to dripley the direction you turn to loosen it. I believe it loosens the same direction as the motor turns.

• Thanks 1