• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My truck almost killed me today, Don't look if if you don't like seeing carnage

Took the boat out today with kids, got to the ramp backed in set the parking brake started to unload the boat, then all the sudden my truck started rolling into the lake. I ran up jumped inside but my foot got caught between the corner of the door and handrail of the boat dock. I should have known better than trusting the parking brake, usually I put it in the gear and shut it off, the ramp was not very steep and it held fine for good while then all the sudden it just started rolling. I was parked a little close to the dock as I usually unload the boat and tie it off. Everything happens so fast I didn't even realize it till I was walking back to the boat and my shoe was wet. My kids said I had blood on my shoe, look down and there's a nice chunk hanging over. So much for having fun today, loaded the boat back up and headed to emergency room, where I sat for a half hour waiting to get stitched up lol. Good thing I was only a half hour away from the hospital. 10 stitches later now I'm drinking beer. Going to attempt this again tomorrow. Apologized to kids for not making it happen today. Now I need to fix the door as it got jammed between the handrail and stopped the truck from going into the lake. Guess I learned a few things, don't trust my parking brake and don't get in a hurry. PXL_20210430_212122764.jpg.916d20855593f495ea181406109a6113.jpg

1950685992_IMG-20210430-WA00132.jpeg.f7904696243f778e609b0aa368300e0b.jpegPXL_20210430_234013956.jpg.b19e2943209a29ed4a12315c9dab83d9.jpg

• Sad 5

• Staff

Dang! I am so glad you are okay. I was afraid you were going to say that you got caught inside the truck and your truck went in the lake. I think that door did you a good deed.

• Like 1

• Staff

Sometimes these things are the best lessons in life.

Something about getting a boat out on the water.... makes a guy want to get it going a soon as he can, but I found quite often around boating you have to go thru all the right protocol, even if it seems redundant, and not short cut or take anything for granted. It seems boats were sometimes not my best friend when a small problem became a huge pile of trouble.  

I do hope you and your kids have a great time and your foot heals well. We have a lot of great memories with our kids on the water in between the ones we wish we could forget. :)

• Like 1

Ohhh it's tender this morning, having beer last evening helped a lot. A bit challenging to get around now, fells like it got ran over by a dump truck, it'll be a fun week at work I'm sure, considering both of my vehicles are manual it'll get plenty exercise to heal up :lmao: :burnout:

• Haha 1

• Staff
On 5/1/2021 at 6:15 AM, Dieselfuture said:

having beer last evening helped a lot.

One bourbon and one scotch would have help that beer kill the pain.  

On 4/30/2021 at 6:52 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Guess I learned a few things, don't trust my parking brake and don't get in a hurry. 

You're right! We're all ways getting an education in the school of hard knocks.  I've been in that school for so long I'm getting my doctorate.  

• Haha 1

• Staff
2 hours ago, IBMobile said:

One bourbon and one scotch would have help that beer kill the pain.  

You're right! We're all ways getting an education in the school of hard knocks.  I've been in that school for so long I'm getting my doctorate.  

Doesn't @dripley teach electronics at that school ? :lol:

Edited by JAG1

Glad you're OK, I NEVER leave my truck in gear when parking,(in fact I hate it that every tech/tire guy does) but I've got a unique situation, no neutral/clutch safety switch, ( I do have a toggle switch that does interrupt the starter circuit, but that's usually to complicated for most tech these days)  and the starter will start my truck in gear. Very useful one time when the clip that holds the clutch rod to the pedal popped off in CT in a traffic jam, I think I started it 10+ times before I could get off an exit, 5 min later clip  on, back on the road. Since then I fixed the problem.

Now this is scary! Had a World Cat 230 DC about 6500lbs behind me.

Edited by Blueox01
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

@Blueox01 that does not look fun, I believe I've seen that video before you may have previously posted it. Definitely not something anyone wants to go through, glad you're ok. 

34 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

@Blueox01 that does not look fun, I believe I've seen that video before you may have previously posted it. Definitely not something anyone wants to go through, glad you're ok. 

I might have, looked the young in her face as we "Bumped"

Edited by Blueox01

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As for the brake it's time to rebuilding the parking brake. I know I need to consider replacing the middle cable soon getting stretched out.

Exactly what was wrong is the cable going to passenger side wheel was rusty and sticking. So when I set the parking brake driver's side was on fully and passenger side was only halfway on, when I started to rock the boat off the trailer to get it the in the water, passenger side cable tighten up more because there was tension on it but that also made the driver side looser. So basically the force from the main cable split the difference between the two and truck started rolling in to the lake not fast luckily but fast enough you didn't really have much time to think about what to do. 

I put all new cables on except driver side rear it was still in real good shape and I've changed it some years back. Got the cables from RockAuto I went with rybestos made in China quality seems ok. Then what I did is put one end of a cable in the vacuum and also put a rag so vacuum creates more suction, then I kept putting oil on the other end and moving the cable back and forth until I got oil coming out of the other end that went into the vacuum. Maybe it'll make them last longer, maybe not but I tried. Got everything adjusted works perfect now.