• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

On 5/5/2021 at 3:42 PM, Blueox01 said:

Anybody know anything about Xotic performance head studs

20210505_153910[1].jpg

Not personally. I'm on a VP44 page on Facebook, and lots of guys run them. If the numbskulls on that page can't destroy anything using those studs, they must be pretty decent. When the time comes I may install a set.

• Like 1

Well, I bought them, 265.00 shipped, tested by an independent lab Atrona test labs at 240,000 psi, good enough for me, I'll know in a year how they hold up.

On 5/6/2021 at 9:16 PM, LorenS said:

Not personally. I'm on a VP44 page on Facebook, and lots of guys run them. If the numbskulls on that page can't destroy anything using those studs, they must be pretty decent. When the time comes I may install a set.

Danm, you should have told me, they had a BOGO today!

16 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Same here. Never heard of them. I put my money on the 425 ARP studs. Even though I blew my head gasket a second time.

"Even though I blew my head gasket a second time." Not the best statement when promoting a product:doh: Sorry Mike I couldn't resist.

Edited by Blueox01
  • Like 1

• Owner

I don't think the studs was my problem. 

Between high timing on the Quad and possibly high exhaust back pressure done the damage for me. I'm already got the head shipped off and need to order a new head gasket from DAP. When I fire back up I will disconnect the wire tap till I can source out a bigger turbo and a new exhaust brake as well. Being my current exhaust brake limits my turbo choices. Do a in pipe PacBrake will open up options for a bigger exhaust housing and bigger turbine and compressor wheels. 

Trust me, I have learned from mistakes. 

On 5/8/2021 at 7:00 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Between high timing on the Quad and possibly high exhaust back pressure done the damage for me. I'm already got the head shipped off and need to order a new head gasket from DAP. When I fire back up I will disconnect the wire tap till I can source out a bigger turbo and a new exhaust brake as well. Being my current exhaust brake limits my turbo choices. Do a in pipe PacBrake will open up options for a bigger exhaust housing and bigger turbine and compressor wheels. 

Just my :2cents:, but the only gasket I ever had fail was after market in this short of miles and I broke the rules and used Cummins bolts 4 times, I know Cummins( I get my parts from Freightliner) is more expensive than any after market, but manufacture's are the first to improve any product deficiency.  Never had a gasket leak like this Mahle.

6 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

Just my :2cents:, but the only gasket I ever had fail was after market in this short of miles and I broke the rules and used Cummins bolts 4 times, I know Cummins( I get my parts from Freightliner) is more expensive than any after market, but manufacture's are the first to improve any product deficiency.  Never had a gasket leak like this Mahle.

On a different note got my FSO8406A reman back. I bought this with who knows how millions of miles, out lasted any NV5600 I owned. Inland Truck replaced input shaft,1st/2nd/3rd gears all sync's,all bearings,top cover was wallowed out shift rails are, shift tower etc. etc 2 year unlimited miles (I will make sure it's tested) in 2 years.1819903144_20210511_1404371.jpg.018a8a21b61398ec017c7175a1636dd6.jpg

16 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

On a different note got my FSO8406A reman back. I bought this with who knows how millions of miles, out lasted any NV5600 I owned. Inland Truck replaced input shaft,1st/2nd/3rd gears all sync's,all bearings,top cover was wallowed out shift rails are, shift tower etc. etc 2 year unlimited miles (I will make sure it's tested) in 2 years. Dripley better not make fun about my straps!!!!1819903144_20210511_1404371.jpg.018a8a21b61398ec017c7175a1636dd6.jpg

• Like 2

For the longest time I've wanted a 3/4 ton, square body Suburban with an ISB 4 cylinder and one of Fuller's automated manuals. FO5506B may be one of the model numbers that's close. I like to sip coffee and be a "steering wheel holder", not shift gears through every dinky town, or rush hour in big cities :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

On a different note got my FSO8406A reman back. I bought this with who knows how millions of miles, out lasted any NV5600 I owned. Inland Truck replaced input shaft,1st/2nd/3rd gears all sync's,all bearings,top cover was wallowed out shift rails are, shift tower etc. etc 2 year unlimited miles (I will make sure it's tested) in 2 years.1819903144_20210511_1404371.jpg.018a8a21b61398ec017c7175a1636dd6.jpg

On a different note got my FSO8406A reman back. I bought this with who knows how millions of miles, out lasted any NV5600 I owned. Inland Truck replaced input shaft,1st/2nd/3rd gears all sync's,all bearings,top cover was wallowed out shift rails are, shift tower etc. etc 2 year unlimited miles (I will make sure it's tested) in 2 years. Dripley better not make fun about my straps!!!!1819903144_20210511_1404371.jpg.018a8a21b61398ec017c7175a1636dd6.jpg

I think someone elese made fun of the straps. If works use it. I am curious of what that rebuild cost. It sounds expensive. Some things are worth the money though. My 5600 is in need of some service work. I got a spare I am thinking about sending to Super Stick in Texas. He has a good rep on the 5600.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I think someone elese made fun of the straps. If works use it. I am curious of what that rebuild cost. It sounds expensive. Some things are worth the money though. My 5600 is in need of some service work. I got a spare I am thinking about sending to Super Stick in Texas. He has a good rep on the 5600.

$3136 and change

13 hours ago, LorenS said:

For the longest time I've wanted a 3/4 ton, square body Suburban with an ISB 4 cylinder and one of Fuller's automated manuals. FO5506B may be one of the model numbers that's close. I like to sip coffee and be a "steering wheel holder", not shift gears through every dinky town, or rush hour in big cities :)

Real trucks have 3 pedals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2021 at 6:00 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

"already got the head shipped off".... Just curious, who's doing the work on your cylinder head?. I noticed there are several machine shops locally (Boise area) but don't know about their reputation.

• Owner
On 5/14/2021 at 7:25 AM, MikeH said:

I noticed there are several machine shops locally (Boise area) but don't know about their reputation.

I chose Northwest Motor Machine

Northwest Motor Machine

4218 Dearborn St, Caldwell, ID 83605

(208) 453-1292

https://northwestmotormachine.com/

These guys work mostly with Cummins engines. Matter of fact they are looking for core engines they are short on Common Rail cores right now.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I chose Northwest Motor Machine

Northwest Motor Machine

4218 Dearborn St, Caldwell, ID 83605

(208) 453-1292

https://northwestmotormachine.com/

These guys work mostly with Cummins engines. Matter of fact they are looking for core engines they are short on Common Rail cores right now.

That's exactly who I was looking at should I ever need any machining work done. Let us know how they did.

• Owner
16 minutes ago, MikeH said:

That's exactly who I was looking at should I ever need any machining work done. Let us know how they did.

First trip to there shop was back at 350k miles roughly. I blew the back of the head gasket for the coolant jacket. It cost me $2,100 for 18 of the 24 valve guide, valve seat ground to spec again. This trip 431k miles, I blew the head gasket on the front driver corner leaking oil. I was only $425 to straight out the head that 0.006 of warp. New set of valve seals. Ron and Justin are wonderful people to deal with and prompt on getting the job done. Both trips it was a mere 3 days as quoted. I would use Northwest Machine for my future rebuild of the engine as well. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

This is going to be a stupid question, the head stud directions says to screw in the studs without applying torque, but surely the want them tight in the block, not just finger tight, Right. I was able to thread the studs in by hand, but still loose in threads, these should be snug I.E. bottomed out in the block, Correct?

Edited by Blueox01