• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck stuck in 3rd gear limp mode

It goes into a shop on the 28 th of may. Worse than making a doctors appointment. They were /are three weeks out on their work schedule it seems. My days on the creeper in my garage ended a couple years ago when after left hip then left knee but the right knee replacement cinched the deal   No more creeper. If they can’t won’t do it my 34 year old stepson will have to do it for me.  But he has a wife job life and kids and I don’t want to be a pain in the neck but I do take care of his kids a lot. Pay back time ?

• Like 2

• Staff

Turbo Terry, I must say in your case I would not be going to a shop. I have seen nightmares begin inside trans shops. They could make it worse. Please pay your son in law instead of the shop and will be often more per hour than most of us make.

I once had a truck so desirable for resale I discovered later the service shop acted like it could not be understood what was wrong. They where hoping to get me to trade it in on new.

Nice to see W-T hanging around. Thank you for contributing. :thumb1: Also if your wrong about something is when the big chicken comes out and pecks you to death . LOL

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1

I hear you. I’m going by the shop tomorrow to see how receptive they are to doing  just what I ask and not try to over do it all   I shall see what the level will be. First shop said it was a electrical problem and they couldnt do it because it was past their expertise. Really I told them what I thought it was.  They never even dropped the pan duh

Ok a update. Third shop turned me down on a pan drop fluid filter and two parts needed to fix my truck.  They never even seen the truck but wouldnt do it. Why won’t these shops work on these trucks. It’s very strange.  So I ordered a GM solenoid and transducer should be here in a few days. Off to Napa for some atf + 4 and gasket and filter. My neighbor and stepson will be my creeper monsters and I will the topside tool man . Hopefully it will fix the problem. Results to come in a few days?

• Like 1

Turbo Terry, I don't know what to say here. Why would a repair facility turn down work? These 47RE's are quite common so the reasoning eludes me.

I hope your crew is successful, please post with additional data as you proceed. 

@Dynamic is certainly a notable authority.

Three things come to mind...

One: Most shops are absolutely buried right now. All of the shops that I deal with and build for are out at least 6 weeks right now. It is the busy time of year, plus we're in a strange economic climate right now where everyone seems to have money, and is willing to spend it on their vehicles.

Two: An unfortunate number of shops or, more accurately their "technicians" couldn't diagnose their way out of a wet paper sack. The diagnostic component of automotive repair has largely been lost in favor of parts hanging. Just throw enough parts at it, and you'll eventually find the problem Sad...

Three: Most shops that have been around for a while (long enough to know better, anyway) won't want any part of a customer's pre-diagnosed project. Nine times out of ten those end poorly.

• Like 4

Strong young guys with the wrong tools dropping a valve body is a recipe for broken bolts and a bad valve body. The bolts must be torqued correctly and the plastic rooster comb on the linkage is delicate. I would inspect the wires inside the tranny very closely for pinches or rub through first.

We are dropping the pan to replace governor pressure solenoid and transducer. Two small parts known to go bad in 47 Re trannys.  New filter  and  pan gasket and fluid.  We are are not taking the valve body down or off at all  so shouldn’t  be a problem

• Staff

Just slightly off topic;

I drove IBMobiles truck with the Dynamic Transmission... I will have to say it drives like a dream piece of equipment. Then have to go home from camp with my stock 'slusher'... what a bummer. Im still having withdrawals.

In my early days I have had a lot of bad luck with shops doing work for me. I think another important aspect is they do not like being pinned to doing particular work requests because it gives them no wiggle room to charge much more if they so desire. There are many angles used to gain added charges that are often used  today.

Edited by JAG1

Okay I’m a bit  confused here. I have ordered two electrical parts for this transmission   A GM  governor pressure sensor  and what bd and others call a transducer. My $100 big  service book is calling it a pressure sensor.  I’m seeing it now.  Pressure sensor and transducer are the same.  Only two parts to change out.  Not three. I  was a bit concerned. Thanks want to do it right the first time 

Yes I can see both sides and a middle to the issue as well. 

Ok late last night I had a couple thoughts go thru my brain on the up and coming transmission repair. Want to bounce it off you guys. After the fluid is drained and the pan down and the  parts replaced can I/ we test the  10 amp fuse in the power distribution center by turning the key on no start to see if it blows before we put the pan back up and add the new fluid . Also  I spent $250 on the two quality parts should I use the two new old school parts I have in my emergency jockey box as test dummies.  I would hate to compromise my new expensive parts to test a fuse. Then replace with the good ones. What do you think ?