• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck stuck in 3rd gear limp mode

1 hour ago, Turbo Terry said:

It was the short with out a doubt   Is the valve body a up and down thing. As in just replace with a new rebuilt one?  That would be a good thing .

What’s the odds these things went thru the tranny   Is that even  possible ?

4A0CCAEB-C55D-4A34-9975-026D775426FB.jpeg

6A9CB6EC-4C85-4731-90B9-45C1C8F2BC68.jpeg

I will say one thing for sure you guys do know your stuff.  Or I would be easy prey fo the tranny boys and about 6 k they need to eat too but not prime beef and cracked crab.  You guys are the best by test. Thank You 

Very sorry for what I said. But my day had not gone well. I tried to take it to the best transmission shop in town.  I was very up front with them and patient. I told I was willing to go the extra money etc to get it done right  but they turned me away for the past reasons in this thread.should I have just dropped it off and said nothing when I do know some things . I’m truly confused. At any rate I must move on with this so I’m I correct that I just have my step son take out the valve body and just send it in and they will repair it. Or buy a new one and send them the old one as a core . Then just put the new or rebuilt one back up and I should be good to go. Did the short damage something else.  The solenoid was gone bad . Do you think the pieces went thru the transmission.  I doubt it but ? Talk to me.  I need your help

• Staff
8 hours ago, Turbo Terry said:

Do you think the pieces went thru the transmission

I'd have to say no, I don't think so.

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This man is a genius when it comes to rebuilding 46RE 47RE or 48RE.

I shipped my transmission to him for a rebuild from San Marcos, CA

• Thanks 1

Wish I had could do that.   The installer that put my DTT tranny in is gone now. He was 40 miles north of here.  My biggest fear is that the short burnt something else up. But if I get a new valve body I guess I will be okay. My neighbor thinks we can do the job. So I want to talk to a tech in the am  Monday to see if my smart controller  will work.  I need to ask them about  that so my bd exhaust brake will work.  10 k is hard to stop with the service brakes    Camper and truck  BD diesel valve body is who I think I will go with.  I have had many good dealings with them in the past. Wish I could have the truck there the guys would fix me right up. Fix old truck 22 years old and new truck coming.   I might be a lucky man and have two diesels  for a while.  Life goes on . Thanks for  your patience and help

I put something called sure cure by sonnax in my valve body years ago. It had those parts except the retainer. The VB needs to be super cleaned and all the bores brushed and scrubbed out then inspect the spools clearance with a pin light. Best to use wife's kitchen table for this. LoL. You may find another broken spring in there too it's pretty common and doesn't really affect much some are broken for years. Check out a new intermediate band anchor called a wedge while your at it.

Edited by Great work!
More info

Well gents we are moving forward    Found a proper bd second gear lock up valve body today in town. New in box That’s a  miracle in itself in Alaska. Last one I’m sure. Maybe the first one ? Anyway the guy that installed my bd exhaust brake  20 some years ago  I called his shop   Looking for Jeff the owner  got his wife.   Jeff recently died from cancer.  Very sad. Wife and I had a extremely sad moment on the phone.  But after calling bd a fine tech of   20 some  years  we had a great discussion

ppp

cr 

We decided that everything was going to fine    I. Just had dinner.   My fisherman friend just brought me some very huge freshly caught shrimp and some fresh halibut.  It was just amazing   Ok so now to get the boys together to put it all back.together.   I hope itworks.  Two creepers in the garage  Hard  to find the time.  Busy time our summers. Catching big king  salmon  getting for the hard winter that’s coming fast

Edited by IBMobile
remove empty space

2 hours ago, Turbo Terry said:

We decided that everything was going to fine    I. Just had dinner.   My fisherman friend just brought me some very huge freshly caught shrimp and some fresh halibut.  It was just amazing   Ok so now to get the boys together to put it all back.together.   I hope itworks.  Two creepers in the garage  Hard  to find the time.  Busy time our summers. Catching big king  salmon  getting for the hard winter that’s coming fast

Visited Canada and Alaska in 2018, cruised the inside passage in Alaska.... beautiful and I'm sure away from the tourist areas it's even better but I did notice winter had just retreated a little further up the hills, this was in August 

Edited by wil440

8 hours ago, Turbo Terry said:

My wife and I did the inside passage  before the COVID. Westerdam   We had always wanted to do it.  Glacier Bay was my favorite.  Some pretty big country

yes emphasis on the big, week before the inside passage we flew into Calgary, on to Banff with a stay in the Fairmont Banff Springs (WOW) then 2 days on the Rocky Mountain Railway to Vancover one night there then board the ship, I have been to some places on holiday with the Maldives being the top before this 2 weeks, Canada and Alaska easily topped .

I'm 60 next year and would like to visit both again but what with Covid and arthritis in hips and spine I doubt I could sit on a plane for 10 to 12 hours

Ok good news I hope.  I found a local guy that will work on my truck.  Truck is at his shop with new bd vb and and heavy duty sensor and solenoid. ATF fluid etc.  Work begins tomorrow. Nice shop lift etc   Private guy.  Fingers crossed for a good out come. My grand girls want to go camping and ride the 4 wheelers.  I thought it would be to hard for my creeper mechanics to do    This shop has done vb before.    I’m so excited. I miss the loud clackity clack of the 24 valve.  

Hopefully it all gets sorted out and for a decent price

I just yesterday had the pan off of my brothers 1500, not changing into 3rd, well would change a couple of times in the mornings then no more, got a solenoid full kit off of ebay which with delivery (GSP) and taxes came to $271, changed the lot, L/U and OD solenoids, gov pressure solenoid and pressure sensor and speed sensor also did all the earths we could find and band adjustment, jobs a good un all back working ok, truck has done 200k but inside the trans was spotless

• Like 1

My new mechanic said all has went well with vb exchange. He said yesterday.  I gave him a day  he said he was sorry I said fine.  I told him no rush like  have been doing this for a couple months now but not with him.  Will pick up in the am.Take it home 55 miles then jump in my wife’s new Lexus loaded with fishing gear  pick up my 12 almost 13 year old Alaskan born raised and will never leave granddaughter to try to go catch her a big king salmon on the Kenai river 100 miles south of here.  My buddy has a new jet sled and it will rain and we will have fun . That’s the cake.  Catching her a sizable king will be the frosting on that cake.  Then get home drive the truck around empty a fair bit to see if it has issues and then load the camper in the back and 4 wheelers and two sweet girls and off to the mountains    Summer happens fast in Alaska.  Winter is soon again and at 71 I might not have to many left. More later 

• Like 2

Picked up truck Thursday am.  Drove it home 55 miles Shifts perfectly exhaust brake works as before. He had no problems  with the mods . Valve body was in bad shape. Either the governor pressure solenoid failed and over pressured the vb or vice a versa   Will never know . He commented how firm the up shifts and down shifts were . Always has been a firm shifting  truck DTT put a 85 percent converter in it and it flat hooks up.  Three hours at $95 per hour  so $285 labor my parts vb  solenoid and sensor.  12 quarts of valvoline atf +4 and one can of red lubeguard.  All parts BD diesel quality parts   I really like there parts and service etc and recommend them highly. With $200 core charge return it cost me about $1600 and State Farm help with the flat bed  55 mile charge.  Then theirs the local transmission shop that charged me $150 to tell me it had a code and they didn’t do electrical  duh and I now have a good tranny again price was right and only took 2 months  And I actually found a real mechanic in the process. I’m a happy camper and I really appreciate everyone’s help.  Thank You

• Like 3