• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Some new toys

wil440

Picked up a few nice peices from a retired pattern maker

A Harrison 140 lathe  3 phase 415v   11" old money which was measured as a total, or 140mm, centre of chuck to bed,  maybe 2ft or more bed length, including a phase converor to go from 240V single phase to 415V 3 Phase, this has took 3 days to clean after years of being covered in saw dust, swarfe etc, in really good condition, this is not going to be sold, shame it isn't big enough to skim up my trucks rear drums

Zimmerman 2ft disc sander 3 phase 415v, tilting bed, sold new to Pegsons crusher manufactures just down the road from where I live in 1977, cleaned and on ebay

Wadkin bobbin sander, 3 phase 415v also sold new to Pegsons not sure how old, cleaned and on ebay

Wadkin RS woodturning lathe, 3 phase 415V  85" bed length, chucks, several face plates, one is 3ft diameter driven out of the back of the headstock end of the lathe :wow: made in the 30's full working order, I would love to keep this but it's just too big

IMG_20210518_170454[1].jpg

IMG_20210516_144145[1].jpg

IMG_20210518_170504[1].jpg

IMG_20210518_170532[1].jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I wish I had a bigger shop. 

me too I could fill a football field easily 

Wired the lathe this morning, I was a little concerned as to whether these new distribution boards we have to have in new builds would be ok with the phase convertor, runs great, done a few cuts to figure out whats what

going to figure out the thread cutting tomorrow

This is a Transwave  here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRANSWAVE-Static-Converter-STC4-5-5hp-4kW-Single-3-phase-240v-415v-/154293233217?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjw7pKFBhDUARIsAFUoMDbWnsbIIKwAP1j3QXsj2OwAo6hpP-bvtNF2yAlALhuhYee7I8YLOLQaAv_EEALw_wcB

2.2hp is mine, lathe motor is 1.5hp so all good, ammeter says 15 amp at startup and around 3 amps running, thing is If i'm left with any of the woodworking stuff the convertor will run it all as it has done for years..... not all at the same time though, I also bought a 12" table saw thats 3 phase for wood.... for a song.... may well sell the chinese one I have and keep the proper old one that will cut straight, I have some stud walls to make for a shower so may well test it on that.

Got a tipper bar and bosses to do over the weekend with the lathe already 

Got the tipper bar all done, lathe saved some money... not a huge amount but still a saving I'd say around £100 on end caps

Got at least 3 more tipper bars and bosses to do for the same guy who runs tipper trucks with grab cranes, boy that is easy money, 2 1/4" bar around 4ft long with bushes in the body brackets and chassis brackets, bought the 2 1/4 bar and used the lathe to turn the 4 bushes out of steel tube to 3 3/8th outer and 2.2515 inner, two of at 6" long and 2 of 3 1/4 long

All done mobile out of my truck and trailer, every tool known to man, grinders, oxy acetylene, generator, mig welder, porta power hydraulic cylinders, kettle for coffee and a cooking stove for food.

Need to add a 9" 110v grinder, bigger generator and more.....

It was a sight to see the ram being used for what it was built for instead of the pampered show queens that they are here in the UK, but I will add neither of my trucks have ever been show rubbish

• Like 1

Just now, Royal Squire said:

Photos?  What’s a tipper bar?

I didn't take any pics unfortunatly.

here is an 8 wheel tipper  https://trucks.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/daf/cf/202105192812494  

There is a hinge bar at the back that allows the tipper body to pivot.... basically 2 1/4 bar with bushes in a bracket each side on the chassis and the same on the tipper body, body brackets sit on the outside of the chassis brackets

next one I'll take pics

48 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

That’s what I figured, it’s a terminology thing!  In my part of the world that’s a dump truck or dump body. Thanks for the explanation. Wondering how they drive a truck like that on narrow roads?

here a dump truck is offroad as in earthmovers Cat 777 are dumptrucks,this is probably because the benchmark is Cat,  tipper trucks are on road

http://thompsonsuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/DM22949-copy.jpg that needs a good tight hinge or it's on it's side

7 hours ago, wil440 said:

All done mobile out of my truck and trailer, every tool known to man, grinders, oxy acetylene, generator, mig welder, porta power hydraulic cylinders, kettle for coffee and a cooking stove for food.

Need to add a 9" 110v grinder, bigger generator and more.....

It was a sight to see the ram being used for what it was built for instead of the pampered show queens that they are here in the UK, but I will add neither of my trucks have ever been show rubbish

You'll be one of the survivors like mad max movie, trading labor for goods. 

Watch out for crazies with flamethrowers

7 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

I guess that photo would be an “end dump” as opposed to a “side dump” or “belly dump”

:)  Tipper.... here we don't use side dump or belly dump much, never seen a side dump on road,  have seen a few "underbody" or belly dump, mainly stuff like grain into below ground storage

What is used here a lot is walking floor trucks, these are usually for lighter stuff like recyclable plastics and stuff like that, also stuff for landfill, the floor of the trailer walks the stuff out like a conveyor with say a foot wide aluminium slats the width of the trailer body, these are driven by chains, doesn't wear the floor our just the sides, good for bad ground as the body isn't tipped (dumped) so can't fall over

5 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

You'll be one of the survivors like mad max movie, trading labor for goods. 

Watch out for crazies with flamethrowers

:thumbup2:  Can't beat labour for goods.... cuts out the taxman, here the Vat man  (collective description for the gov body that collects and calculates VAT)  has way more power than the police, they can immediately shut a business down for good, imprison whoever, seize whatever, basically do whatever they want to do

11 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

That’s what I figured, it’s a terminology thing!  In my part of the world that’s a dump truck or dump body. Thanks for the explanation. Wondering how they drive a truck like that on narrow roads?

Around small roads we have a 7.5T weight limit except for access, in the village we live in (Whitwick) no HGV allowed other than deliveries so no passing through, when I first started work at the Granite quarry at one end of the village there was no weight limit so trucks could and did drive through, local council put a weight limit on around the late 80's, by the early 90's the quarry had shut as the weight limit just added too much extra mileage to the quarry delivery trucks, probably 15 to 20 mile extra if coming from the west of the village.

Also in this area there were around 10 deep coal mines so lots of coal trucks, all done and shut now

41 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Is that 7.5 tons per axle?

No GVW although they can tow a trailer

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211948/simplified-guide-to-lorry-types-and-weights.pdf

Then there is the exempt heavy haulage but they only move under police orders

Last weekend doing the hinge bar I was around 6tonne   6000kg total truck and trailer or 13k lbs ish, Thing is here no one Police included know what it is really, doesn't look overweight, here my truck shouldn't be over 3.5tonne (just the truck) it can be but I'd need to use a tachograph, 3.5tonne is classed as PLG or Private Light Goods.

When I SVA checked my 3500 when I first imported it  it was weighed and the guy said hey you can't legally carry 6 people in it because it will then be overweight, he passed it and i've never bothered about it since, once carried in the bed 2  2200lb boxes of brake discs and pads and calipers I imported into Heathrow airport, all Gen 2 ram stuff for a military vehicle serving in Afganistan, that just about levelled my 3500 and didn't look over weight but it was

SVA test is a check on imported vehicles to make sure they are a standard, pickups are just lights, weights, seatbelts, amber indicators to the front and front side, basic stuff no where near like a car test, you have to remove the original weight plate and stamp a new one that says GVW 3.5tonne, shouldn't tow anything over 3.5 either but again no one knows and I have all the licenses up to unlimited heavy haulage so my license covers me anyway