• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm Back, Finally! And I have some good questions/ topics

4 hours ago, IBMobile said:

At 800RPM, 0mph live data shows MAP being 14.28PSI    59inhg-29.92inhg  = 14.28psi 

If it maxes out at 22 psi then this would still be way outta wack at idle. I'm thinking there's no other choice on getting one at this point. Grid heaters kinda worry me the more I think about it lol being just not there and unplugged

• Staff
2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Grid heaters kinda worry me the more I think about it lol being just not there and unplugged

NO big deal.   A few people here run the grid heaters disconnected in the summer or have done this modification.

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/51_engine/electrical/grid-heater-bypass-simplified-r662/

• Owner

IAT and grid heater are not the cause. Both Thor and Beast are currently disconnected. 

As for white smoke its timing related or injector related. Like I mention somewhere else that a cracked nozzle you can't see but will make it run rough and white smoke I just had this last week with another local friend that wanted +140 HP injectors in his 1994 Dodge Cummins 12V. After his trip to California and it ran good. Now he goes to McCall and blows the head gasket. After doing the head gasket and getting it running the white smoke was bad and running with a mild miss at speed. After pulling all 6 injectors one nozzle was cracked and the other injector had a sticky pintle. After DAP serviced it out we install and problem gone. 

MAP sensor will not cause white smoke. It will only limit your fueling ability. 

These trucks will run fine without...

• MAP sensor
  • IAT sensor
  • ECT sensor

The only impact it will have is low power. Limp mode.

If a sensor is reporting wrong information say its 50*F outside the ECT and IAT should be close to the outside air temp at first key on. Typically mine matches between IAT and ECT values. Remember that if a sensor goes out of range hi or lo then code is thrown. 

7 hours ago, IBMobile said:

or have done this modification

This is required so that current is detected and a code isn't set, right?

If so, could a guy put a dual position switch in the factory trigger wire, and when grid heaters are switched "off", the trigger wire current would just pass through a resistor to ground?

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

MAP sensor will not cause white smoke

This makes sense to me if the MAP sensor showed zero boost, but the ECM thinks he has 22 pounds of boost. Won't it then inject a massive amount of fuel?

• Owner

Simplest way is to unhook the main power feed to the grid heater on the driver side battery. Takes just a minute or two. It will not throw a code. Any mod that messes with the smaller wires typically will set a P0380 or P0382 code. I know @IBMobilemanaged to do this mod and make it work but, keep it simple stupid (KISS) works out even better. 1/2 wrench remove a nut slip the ring terminal off and tighten the nut back up. Typically I unhook in the spring in April and leave it disconnected till October then hook it back up. It 45*F this morning and both trucks would fire up right now without grid heaters.

• Staff
36 minutes ago, LorenS said:

If so, could a guy put a dual position switch in the factory trigger wire, and when grid heaters are switched "off", the trigger wire current would just pass through a resistor to ground?

I did this in my first attempt to do a by pass and it is installed on my truck; it work fine but not KISS.  Here is the article.

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/51_engine/electrical/grid-heater-bypass-r618/

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

white smoke was bad and running with a mild miss at speed

I'm pretty sure I have a miss/shudder when throttling up from 2k and with a lug on it sometimes. Kinda hard to explain what u feel while driving buy I guess the only explanation would be a shudder or miss...?

So should I run map sensor I have now knowing it's off and just pull injectors now or do both? 

Either way I think it's safe to say I'm pulling them out, just gotta find a ride to borrow for work real quick. I guess if their too bad to rebuild, I'm calling up @dieselautopower again for parts 😉

I got and extra set of cores too. Maybe a bundle deal 😘

• Owner
5 hours ago, Stanley said:

I'm pretty sure I have a miss/shudder when throttling up from 2k and with a lug on it sometimes. Kinda hard to explain what u feel while driving buy I guess the only explanation would be a shudder or miss...?

As injector pop pressure start to drop off below 290 bar typically it picks up a random studder or miss. Mostly will be seen after warm up usually. Even a bad nozzle that is cracked will do it all the time. 

On 8/28/2021 at 9:46 AM, Stanley said:

Either way I think it's safe to say I'm pulling them out, just gotta find a ride to borrow for work real quick. I guess if their too bad to rebuild, I'm calling up @dieselautopower again for parts 😉

I got and extra set of cores too. Maybe a bundle deal 😘

I see you have 6x.018 now.  Are you looking for bigger injectors or something smaller to match the 64mm turbo you have now?  We can rebuild your injectors as well.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 10:46 AM, Stanley said:

I had that and between changing injectors to 7x10 vco pop 320 and fixing ac noise problems went away.

• Like 1

Funny you should ask that question today @dieselautopower

I went and got my injectors popped etc, I kinda knew what was gonna happen when I pulled them out anyway, 3 and 6 was the best ones and they barely made any pattern more of a drizzle, the others just gummy! So holy cow! That's prolly the big reason it's running like crap! 

Got back to work the called @dieselautopower and talked to I believe (Mitchell)? Sorry can't remember lol. Very helpful kinda explained what my options were etc. He described my 6x18 as 400hp + I didn't know they were that big! So after talking a min we settled on 6x.013 I think he said around 250-300hp flow. It will work with my DF pump and in the future pair up nicely with twins. Hopefully they shipped out today if not they will tomorrow, they had to whip me up a set😉

Awesome guys at @dieselautopower! Really appreciate the help and guidance, Thank you.

The cross over tube are a heck of alot bigger than stock! You could suck a milkshake through it🤣

I have a brand new set of oem cross over tunes if anyone's looking, and a set of oem injectors/cores maybe. Make a heck of a deal! 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I had that and between changing injectors to 7x10 vco pop 320 and fixing ac noise problems went away.

I am gonna go ahead and knock out that mod too! 

I seen @Mopar1973Man write up on the mod but I can't find the original @W-T article. Maybe I'm overlooking it or it didn't pop out at me. I was wanting to reference both when doing it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang, injectors have been in the truck for a bit and man what difference. Night and day! Way different drivabilty and mannerisms and doesn't smoke that much. Super happy! I found that my lope is still there but I guess I'll blame it on the tubes, lines etc and leave it at that. Nothing else I can do...

Maybe tuner? Adjusting fuel going to idle to compensate for bigger lines etc? 

I will need a tuner for sure. Definitely can tell trucks itchin for more fuel and it can handle it.

Truck even sounds different with new injectors... it's not a low grunt or grumble anymore. Idk hard to explain but it sounds different lol.

Load off the shoulders, now just small(er) things to tackle and mess with. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 4:55 AM, Silverwolf2691 said:

Weird name, doesnt pop out immediately when searching for "W-T ground mod" 

@Silverwolf2691yeah...I was trying to be comprehensive with a "name" for the Original article to cover a wide search regarding the covered subject matter. I have NO idea how it was slanged into W-T ground mod....I didn't do it. Truly "ground reference" should have sufficed.