• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need a sanity check.. changing careers

• Owner

Do what you have to do to be happy. That is important!!! If your not happy then everything else around you will start to fail. Trust me I do understand...

I've worked several different jobs in my time.

• Dish pit - Cattlemen's Restaurant (2 years)
  • Glass and mirror installer - Images in Mirror and Glass (2 years)
  • Ranch Hand helping with branding cows - Rex Baker's Ranch 
  • 2 Body shops (motorcycle and automotive) Salvage yard & Tom's Body Shop
  • Software distributor -Soft Kat
  • Harness assembly for wiring 
  • 2 Tire and battery shops - Montgomery Wards & Chevron
  • Computer tech (Windows) - Cloud 10 Computers (8 years)
  • Computer Tech (Linux) - Mopar1973Man.Com (18 years)
  • Car stereo installer and repair - Sights & Sounds (3 years)
Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Do what you have to do to be happy.

Those few words are "The" most important

I've never really deviated far from my very first full time job at 16, I did work in a garden nursery from 10 onwards at weekends and holidays and TBH really liked that but ££ was not good even after school so I made the right path for me

• 4 weeks later...

Met with the owner of the locksmith last week Thursday. Had an interview/talk/see where you might fit kind of meeting. It went well to the point that he basically said he wants to hire me, but with the company moving locations, he needs to see the way things rebuild after the move. Which should be this week. Hard part was the first time I called to set some thing up he already hired 2 locksmiths, one a week prior and one 2-3 days prior.

The owner is definitely not just resting on his customer base, he is actively trying to grow the business and he said more or less that I'm possibly the first of a few more hires as well..

He's moving his shop because while they have a retail store front, its a basement of a house that was converted to a store front, complete with basement height limits. there was also no parking that wasn't taken up by either the company vans or employee vehicles.

Fingers crossed this works out.. :pray::pray:

Edited by Silverwolf2691

Semi retired me, this was  18 months ago when I was 58

Now 60 and I really could not imagine working the hours I used to do which was between 60 and 80 a week (heavy plant mechanical supervisor....... read do it all myself)

Self employed in the same job for mostly the same company but on the smaller concrete and asphalt plant sites 

Ranges from no work for a week or so to 2 or 3 days a week but maybe 3 or 4 hours a day, suits me down to the ground, this month is service month so busy enough

Pic is me in Finland mid March  can't figure out how to spin the pic though DUH

20220311_131519.jpg

• Like 2

• Staff
8 hours ago, wil440 said:

can't figure out how to spin the pic though DUH

Here you go

20220311_131519.jpg.8221f08f3abe2bee1008fe061b6f34ab.jpg.f017f81ae4f864f1db22952da6d6bead.jpg

I'm pushing 70 and have been semi-retired for the last 5 or so years.  My wife likes to say it's been the last 25 years. I still like to go out and fix things though.  I'm like @wil440and do 2 to 6 jobs a week and work 2 to 6 hours a day; start at 10AM and try to be home by 3PM.  Today I replaced a starter motor, tomorrow it will be front struts, next week rear shocks and another car's exhaust manifold gaskets and so it goes.  I'll stop when it's not fun anymore.

• Like 2

• Staff

I am 70 and work 4 to 6 hour days 3 to 4 times a week. It's nice that I take rain days and entire winters off. I like my time off better when I work. Just the way I'm hung I guess. And then meeting up at camp is good twice a year. I do a lot of easy trail Mtn biking and metal detecting and eat most of IBMobiles food :thumb1:

• Like 1

@IBMobile and @JAG1 bout the same as me although I'm only 60 but need 2 hip replacements so I potter along at my own pace and take on what I want to take on for work and no more.

Putting the hip operations off as long as possible as that's a 6 months plus recoup, also as  IBMobile says  it's still fun fixing stuff.

Once the work is done 2 codeine and a few beers sorts the hips out so I'm good for now  

• Like 1

• Staff

I may have to resort to some real medicine too eventually like Jack Daniels or even the most expensive smooth stuff I can find. My hips are okay but my one knee got hit with a hatchet at 12 years old and Wholy shinnikies hurts like a sum beach at nite. Don't know why it waited so long to start up again. :shrug:

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Jack Daniels or even the most expensive smooth stuff I can find

I bought my buddy a $60 bottle of wheated bourbon for his birthday, not knowing what it was. While he and I both enjoy the intense flavors of rye, we were both amazed at how flavorful and smooth the wheated variety was. It was also ridiculously high in proof (over 120) yet no burn at all! Super smooth. Dangerous stuff, thankfully at that price we just limited ourselves to about half a shot glass each.

• Staff
1 hour ago, LorenS said:

I bought my buddy a $60 bottle of wheated bourbon for his birthday, not knowing what it was. While he and I both enjoy the intense flavors of rye, we were both amazed at how flavorful and smooth the wheated variety was. It was also ridiculously high in proof (over 120) yet no burn at all! Super smooth. Dangerous stuff, thankfully at that price we just limited ourselves to about half a shot glass each.

Thank you for the tip Loren, I will have to try that as the stuff doc recommends doesn't work half the time and tastes terrible. LOL, would be a good idea to get a bottle for the guys at camp.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
6 hours ago, wil440 said:

Putting the hip operations off as long as possible as that's a 6 months plus recoup,

I had my left hip replaced 3 years ago.  It went soooo easy; walking a few steps that night, left the hospital the next day.  After 3 weeks I was out doing simple diagnostic jobs and by the 4th week doing brake jobs etc.  Post operation pain management was percocet for 3 days {got off that fast, could not concentrate}, then tramadol for 3-4 days, then acetaminophen and ibuprofen.   Do it and get out of pain.      

14 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I had my left hip replaced 3 years ago.  It went soooo easy; walking a few steps that night, left the hospital the next day.  After 3 weeks I was out doing simple diagnostic jobs and by the 4th week doing brake jobs etc.  Post operation pain management was percocet for 3 days {got off that fast, could not concentrate}, then tramadol for 3-4 days, then acetaminophen and ibuprofen.   Do it and get out of pain.      

It's coming and faster than I'd like..... funnily enough you're the 2nd person that has had a hip replacement tell me to get it done asap

9 hours ago, LorenS said:

I fractured two vertebrae today, but at least it will heal on its own and I can walk. I hope I never need knee or hip surgery! That would be awful not walking for a while.

Dang!!!!

How did you do that?

Don't push it, let your body heal fully.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. They just let me out of the hospital and wife is driving me home now. Lots of rest is on the schedule!

I was trimming limbs and one kicked out and knocked the ladder out from underneath me.

The thing is, I actually went to the garage to get a strap/rope to fasten the ladder. By the time I walked to the garage I forgot why I went in there! So, here I am.

The 10 pound weight restriction is going to be tough!

• Sad 1