• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2007 3500 Okay Deal?

LorenS

I came across this ad, and it seems high for pushing 200k miles. But, it also seems to have no rust.  Thought I'd see what you all think. I have two sets of 3rd Gen wheels for my 2nd, so would swap to stock steel wheels. Weird there's no photos of interior. I may go check it out on Sunday if still available, try to get a better price.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/d/harrisonville-2007-dodge-ram-3500-trx4/7337248890.html

2 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

go slightly newer

I just REALLY don't want to go newer than December 31st, 2006. I don't want to deal with DPF, EGR, regens, etc., and don't want to deal with future crack downs on deleted trucks.

I am not an automatic transmission guy.  I like six gears that are selectable by me when I say so.  But, if I had to buy a newer truck with an automatic transmission, it would NOT be a 4 speed automatic.  I agree with @NIsaacs- get a newer truck with a 6 speed auto transmission with an integrated exhaust brake.  It would make you wonder why you lived with a 4 speed automatic for so long.  I think you would be able to find undeleted newer trucks if that is a concern.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
spelling

I had a work-issued 2015, and it was a great truck, but I didn't have to pay for the maintenance and repairs. There are lots of undeleted 6.7s around, but everyone I know who has one past the 150k mile mark gets it deleted. I don't want that hassle!  I wish Gear Vendors (or similar) were a little more robust for trucks versus race cars - I see mixed reviews. I'd likely never use double OD, but splitting the other gears would be great!

• Staff
On 6/17/2021 at 5:17 AM, LorenS said:

Me, neither. I tried an online VIN decoder to see if it's been converted for some reason, but no luck.

It's a short bed so it was born a SRW

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally I'd love to put a 5 speed in my 2006. Even with 3.73 gear you need to row 5 gears (1:1 direct) to get 25 MPH. I might change my mind after towing a trailer but lot of hand shaking in a town with 25 mph speed limit. Ugh.

You drive at under 1000 rpms around town? I think your failed tach is messing with your head :lmao: 25 mph is squarely in the 3rd (2000) or 4th (1340) gear range. 

I'm certain you'll change your mind once you do some towing. Having driven and towed with a Getrag, NV4500, a NV5600, and a G56 AD, and driven a G56AE a bunch but never towed with it I'd never want to own a NV4500 truck, even for around town. I'd buy a clean 93 Getrag for fun, but it would likely get a G56 before too long. The difference is big empty and amazing when loaded. The Getrag was the best 5 speed but it had a splitter... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

Thor (2006 Dodge  3500) has a G56 transmission is a rowing machine. Even with the ATF+4 in the gear box it not loud at all. I just hate to row 4 gears to get to 25 MPH. Pushing 10,000 pounds on the scale. Tends to stall easy launching from 2nd gear on a slight slope. Valair Quiet Towing Dual Disc Clutch.

No worse that the Kenworth 4,000 gallon water tender (Cummins Big Cam 400 with a Eaton Fuller 10 speed) that you have to row 7 gears to get to 25 MPH

Still to this day love my NV4500 in Beast (2002 Dodge 2500), row 2 gears I'm at 25 MPH in 4th gear. Launch in 2nd gear and by 4th (1:1) I'm pulling away gaining speed now. This even has the other Valair Performance Dual Disc Clutch. Slight design differences but the same. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

G56 is a rowing machine. Even with the ATF+4 in the gear box it not loud at all. I just hate to row 4 gears to get to 25 MPH. No worse that the 10 speed water tender (Cummins Big Cam 400 with a Eaton Fuller 10 speed) that you have to row 7 gears to get to 25 MPH

OE clutch?   Sure, it's quiet.   Put a DD in it, and it's a different animal when the stock flywheel is replaced.

• Like 1

• Owner

2006 Dodge 3500 - Valair Quiet Dual Disc Towing Clutch 

2002 Dodge 2500 - Valair Performance Dual Disc Clutch

The design differences is the Quiet clutch does not have a loose free floating center plate. It actually attached to spring metal. The performance clutch does not have this so it louder in my 2002 Dodge versus the 2006 Dodge. The 2002 Dodge has a floating center disc that can rattle and make noises. 

• Owner
20 minutes ago, Rogan said:

the noise I'm referring to isn't the steel disc.  it's the gear-rollover of the G56, that the 5600/4500 doesn't suffer from.

This is caused by the stock DMF of the G56 being replaced.

Nope, no roll over noise at all no the 2002 or 2006 trucks. 

Mobil 50 SAE gear lube in the Nv4500 in the 2002 Dodge.

ATF+4 fluid in the G56 in the 2006 Dodge. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Nope, no roll over noise at all no the 2002 or 2006 trucks. 

Mobil 50 SAE gear lube in the Nv4500 in the 2002 Dodge.

ATF+4 fluid in the G56 in the 2006 Dodge. 

You shouldn't in the NV4500.   My old 4500 with Valair 3650 DD didn't either.  Both the MC and the Crew Cab (G56 in both) have insane gear rollover noise.  Sitting idle, in neutral, and under load, sub 1500rpm.   The MC has a Valair 3600 DD and the CC has a SB3600DD.  The MC has 150k on it, the CC has 295k.  Put the same style clutch in my old 2004 5600 and no rollover noise; a quick search on googly shows I'm definitely not the only one.  It's weird.