• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Uh Oh...wrong oil!

Relative of my son in law wanted to try Pennzoil's new Platinum Series oil in an '03(?) Dodge Cummins. Apparently they make a Diesel rated oil, Pennzoil Platinum Euro, and others made from Natural Gas. Long story short they picked up the wrong oil, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, which isn't CF rated and wanted to know if he should dump it immediately or run with it for a while.

A well used '03 diesel engine makes plenty of blowby by now and there's no way a gasser oil will handle the soot. I'm thinking a short turn around time, 2500 miles or so, probably won't kill the engine. Also guessing the oil will turn black real quick which might be an indicator that it's time to toss it.

What do you think...run it for a time or dump it immediately?

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally I would use CK-4 oil which is the current API Spec. I wouldn't suggest using any gasser oil unless it is also rated CI-4 or CJ-4 or CK-4. Then your fine.

Me too Mike. Problem here is it's already in the motor. He's just concerned if he should dump it now or get a few miles on it so it's not a complete waste of money. Maybe the best bet would be to get it out of the Cummins and save it for his cars. I've used some of those "Euro" rated diesel oils in our Jetta and they were fine. Don't know if I would play with that stuff in a real diesel engine but to each his own.

I think I would just dump it. If he can use it somewhere else fine but if there is concern why take the chance. $40 or 50 bucks vs a $5k+ dollar rebuild. I would just chuck and chalk it up to experience. Now I nothing about the oil he used so maybe my worry is misplaced, but its cheap to replace.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm rethinking my initial idea of running with it for a short interval and just drain it and save the oil for his cars. He doesn't have 100 miles on it yet so no damage done either way. I never heard of this Pennzoil made from natural gas. I'm sure it's a great oil just not in a Cummins. 

Not to get off subject but Costco is running 3 gallons of 15w/40 for like $26 bucks for anyone interested.

• Staff
1 hour ago, dripley said:

I think I would just dump it. If he can use it somewhere else fine but if there is concern why take the chance. $40 or 50 bucks vs a $5k+ dollar rebuild. I would just chuck and chalk it up to experience. Now I nothing about the oil he used so maybe my worry is misplaced, but its cheap to replace.

Dripley fries his chicken in that stuff.

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

@dripley, I can't believe these guys talk to you like that.  I wouldn't do that.  I would think it would ruffle your feathers.

- John

John, Dripley is no snowflake. He like a titanium meteorite but very tender underneath :poke:

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1

• Owner

Seriously on the oil. I still would change to get good diesel oil in the crankcase.

API spec for diesels is always CI-4 or CJ-4 or CK-4. 

C - compression ignition (diesel)

[Letter] - series of oil. K is current.

4 - 4 cycle engine. (Remember there was 2 cycle diesels too)

• Staff

Which viscosity is in it?

Not that it really matters much thou. I'd have dumped it before driving it, or as soon as the mistake was realized.

Additionally even the CF oil isn't rated for that 2003. It needs to be a CI oil or new, CK is the best. CK>CI>CJ

The only Penzoil Platinum I can find with the CF is 5w-30, which is also not the correct viscosity for a 2003 Cummins. 

Didn't ask about viscosity. The oil's out of his Dodge and into two of his autos so nothing lost. Apparently he never got more than 10 - 15 miles on it before noticing the label on the empty containers. Live and learn. Kinda like some folks who have dumped DEF fluid into their fuel tanks...just a dumb rookie mistake.

I was discussing this with my neighbor the other day who thought we got away pretty lucky. His brother in law's wife had filled their brand new Chevy Duramax with gasoline and drove it 'til it died on the road. lot's of damage

Anyway...all's well here. Thanks for the input.

• Like 2