• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Strategies for saving/ increasing net worth

• Staff

I'm sorry, what is 'usd'?

Im stocking up on things I know I'll need in the future like tools, fluids, filters for the trucks. I just opened my second 55 gal drum of CI-4 bought years ago. Each lasts a long time and saves me big as the price goes up.

What to do with stocks is another story. It wasn't bad to stay with them even while lots of articles came out about a massive sell off looming. Who knows what the future will bring with those? I just bought Checkpoint Software not long ago....They are known for protecting companies from Hackers or cyber attacks.

8 hours ago, Me78569 said:

with the future of inflation that I can't help but think is coming I am hedging into things that are not linked %100 to usd in terms of their raw value.

I've always liked copper for that does ticker symbol f c x that the bill for that?

sc.png

Edited by 015point9
Add chart
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

I like copper too. My electrician says his rolls of wire have gone up almost 5 times in the last 18 mos. 

@015point9 it looks like the current price is coming back up on copper? Am I understanding that chart correctly?

Boy oh boy understanding charts correctly that's a mystery right there You can go to stockcharts.com and use the free side they've got a lot of indicators you can put on there if you'd like I highly recommend their chart school it's took me quite a while to go through it tell you the truth.  And not all of it sticks in the head so I constantly got to go back and look at stuff to re-familiarize yourself.  I've got a daily routine that takes me about 20 to 35 minutes to go through everyday.  Best advice as I give on stocks is do-it-yourself.  don't rely on any other source. 

(added)  My usual go to stock is ticker symbol SPY which is just the SP 500.  Nothing fancy and NO leverage.  I usually just follow the MACD up and down.  Those are the blue bar lines on above chart I posted.  

Edited by 015point9
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Are you trading more often for a shorter term and taking/ securing your profits?

Yes all my trades from my account are short-term which means profit is subject to short term capital gains at tax time.  Trades from joint account has been in chevron so long dont worry about taxes. Wife sleeps real good with chevron dividend.  Which bugs me actually, I like more action but she's happy.

• Haha 1

• Staff

I have been reinvesting all my dividends since there is no fees when doing that. My broker keeps wanting me to get more cash into my portfolio. He has been doing real good for me. Edward Jones is real careful and doesn't fall for exuberance over a stock. The right companies can be a good bet. when they have no debt, sales increase each year, and they have a lot of assets.

I wish Mopar1973man sold silver 'Mopar Money' ..... one side his face with wrenches in hand... other side a big chicken standin there.

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 2

• Staff

Recent dividends show pretty good and if the stock goes up and takes a split :thumb1: One of mine did a split giving 4 shares per each. It made room to go higher and doubled my investment.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

... The right companies can be a good bet. when they have no debt, sales increase each year, and they have a lot of assets.

And the CEOs are not cooking the books saying they're exporting all kinds of stuff so different countries, sales looking fantastic and they said they were ctually paying down on debt... and it turns out they're not.  And then you get to experience a stock split unknown to me at the time known as a "reverse stock split".  This happened to me pre Enron era. but still sticks in my mind.  That's probably the biggest reason why just stick with spy even though when Market fell apart last time I bought the vix but mostly just spy.

Edited by 015point9
Info
  • Sad 1

• Staff

Yeah there's so much crooked going on it sad. Enron really put the screws to everyone. Many loosing a lifetime of savings. Bernie Madoff comes to mind along with some others. I trust Edward Jones only because I know the guy in charge of my account. He really does do right by me. Some branches the financial advisors I've heard caused some problems but, that's true with any business where some are good and some not so.....

So you say 'vix' and 'spy' ' please clarify, excuse my lack of knowledge.

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

....... I trust Edward Jones only because I know the guy in charge of my account. He really does do right by me. Some branches the financial advisors I've heard caused some problems but, that's true with any business where some are good and some not so.....

That's what it comes down to is trust I think.  Brother in law has their entire savings with a guy at a "Mom and Pop" financial advisor place.  Wife and I kept waiting for them to tell us they've been ripped off.  Never happened or not yet anyways.  And they've done better than us over the years.  Wife likes Fidelity brokerage and transferred her tax deferred employee stuff (IRA's, 403b7's etc) to them when she retired.  My account was with Etrade then after 2008 market down fall went with TDameritrade.  And 95% happy with them.  

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

"VIX and SPY are ticker symbols.  Link below explains what "ticker symbols" are and explains it lot better than I can. 

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/12/what-is-a-stock-ticker.asp

• Staff

Thanks for your patience, I do know ticker symbols. I will look those up later this morning... I have to go back to sleep after a strange animal call from down the canyon. Add the noises out by my trucks, I felt like chambering one, but I decided only to bring the tactical flashlite. It's extremely bright. I decided It was just the nightly visit from the racoons but that call from the canyon man that was spooky. 

I got few oil changes on the shelf, I thought most oil companies say it's good for 5 years in unopened container though. Not sure if I buy in to that, maybe just a way for them to keep you from having too much. 

What will we do with all the oil if diesel is unavailable? Burn it in the tank? Only so much we can prep for... I think leaving on your own land growing your own food is where it's at if it gets that bad, which it certainly could looking at the world now. Most people around me including my wife think I'm crazy talking about it, time will tell. But if billy himself sold most of his high tech investments and got a bunch of farmland says a lot too. Idk :ahhh: