• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Odd find in my 6 speed shift tower

Catching up maintenance so I a fluid change in the tranny is in order. I had notice some slop in the shifter so I ordered a new button for the knob on end of the tower. Got the thing apart abd the stayed in the tranny which seemed a bit odd to me but maybe it is that worn. Looking at knob its football shaped for lack of better term. The one on the right is the one I took off beside the spare I have.

20210705_150713.jpg.323034ffa344e4a0e43faaecf462a628.jpg

This might show it better.

20210705_153216.jpg.e5f16ee44ccaa77ee3bb1d975e18adea.jpg

The button had some wear but not much. It still snapped on the spare where it just falls on and off of the one out of the tranny.

My little pea brain always told my self that the button would go first and not the shifter.

Anyone else have there wear this way?

10 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Can't see pictures,but good to know it made it **** better. I got one of those and haven't changed it yet, may do it now that you say it helps.

I said shift not sure how it turned to shiit :lmao: 

I will try the pictures again. Mi e had alot slop but the ball on the end of the shifter was worn really bad. Thought the plastic would would have been near gone. It was worn the the metal was worn away worse.:think:

On a different note Metamucil helps me shift better.

8 hours ago, Stanley said:

I can't see pics either. I assume your talking about the little plastic deal on the shifter ball end that seats into the shifting fork? If I'm picking up what your puttin down....

:piwwp:

Thats the part I describing.

20210705_150713.jpg.323034ffa344e4a0e43faaecf462a628.jpg20210705_153216.jpg.e5f16ee44ccaa77ee3bb1d975e18adea.jpg

20210705_153216.jpg.e5f16ee44ccaa77ee3bb1d975e18adea.jpg20210705_150713.jpg.323034ffa344e4a0e43faaecf462a628.jpg

@Mopar1973Man any reason this pictures dont want to post? When I attach them and click submit reply they are there. But after moving on to something else and coming back to the thread they are not there. Help!!!

• Owner
On 7/7/2021 at 6:09 AM, dripley said:

I can't see pics either. I assume your talking about the little plastic deal on the shifter ball end that seats into the shifting fork? If I'm picking up what your puttin down....

:piwwp:

I think I got it fixed with the Pagespeed module. Pictures are present again and working. 

• Thanks 2

It wore the the whole ball down but still rode in the plastc cup that rides in the tranny. It got where when in gear I could move the shifter around in a 4" or so square at the shift knob. Just did not expect to see the the steel worn that much, thought the the cap was the sacraficial piece. It took less wear than the ball.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:51 AM, dripley said:

It wore the the whole ball down but still rode in the plastc cup that rides in the tranny.

I find that quite unusual as well.  I replaced my shift tower with a short shifter, but I didn't like it - mainly because the leverage was lost to return it to center.  I re-installed my OEM one a few thousand miles later.  The end shaped like a ball had no sign of wear.  Neither did the plastic part, both over 350,000 miles.  It makes me wonder if there was lack of lubrication in the shift tower on your truck.

- John

• Owner

Makes me wanna look at mine closer... I've been able to push the shift tip between the gates in the NV4500 transmission. I've downshifted and had it jam up at least 4 times stuck in 4th gear. The shift forks are different than NV5600 but the wear problem might be the same. Being I've got mine still tore down to the shift tower I can look at it and re-silicone the tower back on too.

15 hours ago, Tractorman said:

I find that quite unusual as well.  I replaced my shift tower with a short shifter, but I didn't like it - mainly because the leverage was lost to return it to center.  I re-installed my OEM one a few thousand miles later.  The end shaped like a ball had no sign of wear.  Neither did the plastic part, both over 350,000 miles.  It makes me wonder if there was lack of lubrication in the shift tower on your truck.

- John

I drained 6 quarts of oil from the trans and the underside of the shift tower had oil residue on it as did the plastic cap. It seems to me that if was lack of lubrication that the cap would have been worn thru somewhere. It was worn enough that it fit over the other shifter with room to spare. I have no idea what that cap is made of. 

I guess its possible I could have put my oe shift tower on the second trans and that would put about 600k on it. But thats still alot wear on that steel. I lost maybe 40% of the ball. But that was a long time ago.