• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I got the vp out, it wasnt that bad, and I didnt drop the key, so Im pretty happy right now, altho the thought of droppn all that cash for another one sux! Anyway when I was looking over stuff on the net and in the manual ect, it was suggested to change the sensor that is right behind the vp, and I cant remember where I saw that at or what it was called, its pretty much right behind the vp, can anyone tell me what its called?

I don't know about a 99 but my 02 has a camshaft positioning sensor behind ther that i wish i had replaced while i was in there. just did not know about it until i had replaced the IP. your 99 might not have one. could have a crank sensor in a differant location.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but because it is electrical and hard to get too I bought my sensor at the dodge dealer. There is a parts place online called rockauto.com that i use alot now and they have name brand stuff, i didnt start buying from them till after i fixed my truck, but they probabbly have sensors.

I changed my cam sensor with the VP but decided to go with chainstore part because prior CRANK sensors (both original unknown brand and Cummins sensor) had failed close together. I figured that I may as well buy cheap if they are going to fail anyway. You can get to the cam sensor without pulling the VP. I forgot what fitting to remove the cam sensor - perhaps a torx??? Someone post back type & size when you find out.