• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starter quit!

• Owner

2006 Dodge - Starter issues

Just got home for lunch and now going to move the truck to get a job done. There is nothing. No click nothing. All the dash lights up. Being this is controlled by a TIPM I'm not sure at this moment what to look at next? 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

19 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Curious, I'll be watching to see what you find. 

Also, TIPM?

TIPM = totally integrated power module

runs everything other than the trans and engine, more or less.

That's how 3rd/4th/5th gen trucks (more so on the 4th and 5th gens) can just go into the computer and turn settings on and off to add higher trim things to lower trim trucks. (headlights, tail lights, power seats, fog lights, fogs on with highs, turn off PWM in the head lights/tail lights to run hids or leds, keep hyperflash away with led turn signals and no resistors.)

edit: I think I was thinking the body control modules. oops..   

Edited by Silverwolf2691
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Back to running. I pulled the clutch safety switch. Jumped it. Nothing. Then grabbed the test light and nothing. I went out to the fuse block (TIPM). Started testing fuses and found one blown. Changed the fuse. With the clutch jumped it started. Now the hard part of putting clutch safety switch back. Fought with the plastic pin to line up the clutch shaft and the pedal to push it back through. It started. Should of check fuses first...

• Like 1

Not sure if I'm in favor of this new technology, definitely not for an average Joe stuff. I kinda like the old relay stuff. Guess you can only cram so many relays in for all these options. My tdi Jetta is same way and these evil swines make you get special software and tools to work on them, but I do get 50mpg pretty easy in summer. 

• Owner

More to add on this... 

I found the ultimate cause of all this. (Be gentle :punish:)

So my exhaust brake switch is on the stick. The previous owner added a aluminum angle metal to mount the switch. Sad part is the terminals on the wire are not insulated. So when the switch loosen up a bit it will swing over and touch the nut. Now it blows the fuse under the dash. It happened a few times and I thought I wonder if the previous owner used the right fuse? I used one bigger 10A fuse. Well the circuit that the exhaust is wired into is only a 7.5A supply so it blew that fuse and then prevent starting. After I replaced the fuse in the TIPM and both systems started working. So I need to fix the exhaust brake switch, install a 5A fuse again for that circuit and then the 7.5A in the TIPM. Then everything will be well in the world again.

• Like 1

• Staff

Nice find. 

Also know that the TIPM monitors amp draw and the original programming didn’t have high enough amps in it for the starter so it was common for 06’s to see the condition you saw. The telltale was removing power from the TIPM and if it reset and starts then the TIPM software needed updated. There was a TSB for this. 

I vividly remember this since dads 06 was towed in Boise and the dealer said could not duplicate after disconnecting the batteries. It happened again near Deer Lodge MT, when we found out the Boise dealer was uneducated and screwed him. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The 2007 and 2008 Cummins share the same ECM model from what I researched, and were prone to have crappy solder joints in them which caused ECM failures.

My buddy's 2007.5 all of sudden one day just died on the road. He just had instrument gauges, headlights, radio, and heater controls, but no crank, no start, no fuel pump. I replaced the ECM with one programmed to his VIN from one of the ECM/PCM vendors, and it fired right up and has been running great since.

• Owner
19 hours ago, 01_Cummins_4x4 said:

The 2007 and 2008 Cummins share the same ECM model from what I researched, and were prone to have crappy solder joints in them which caused ECM failures.

My buddy's 2007.5 all of sudden one day just died on the road. He just had instrument gauges, headlights, radio, and heater controls, but no crank, no start, no fuel pump. I replaced the ECM with one programmed to his VIN from one of the ECM/PCM vendors, and it fired right up and has been running great since.

I had one that I rebuilt the ECM and it ran for 5 miles and then died after the 5 mile run. Sent in back to be tested and it returned good. Reinstalled and 30 second later died again and wouldn't start again. Wiring malfunction in the CANBus is all I can figure. Being all the power functions are through the TIPM.

On my 2006 the starter quit too. The exhaust brake is wired in on the same circuit with the starter. Once I blew the fuse in the TIPM for that circuit it dodn't start but once I replaced the fuse it came back with the exhaust brake. (BD Exhaust brake with auto cruise control braking).

Edited by Mopar1973Man